follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-25-2014, 11:38 PM   #1
AnthonyArcaro

Drives: 2014 White Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Daytime Running Light Issue

Okay so, I recently installed led door lights in my BRZ and this BLEW the BIU (Body Integrated Unit). I had my local dealership fix this and install a new unit. However, once they fixed this I had noticed that my DRL no longer came on at all, only when I put my high beams on. I told the dealership this and they had blamed this on my side marker lights that I installed. So I re-installed the factory side markers and still no luck. I am going to bring it back to the dealership but I think I know the problem.

I think that all they have to do is turn the DRL setting on the BIU to ON. Maybe when they installed the new BIU this setting was automatically turned off? This thread shows all the settings that the BIU controls and as you can see, the DRL is one of them.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2421351

Do you think this is it??? Also, my car no longer beeps after three clicks of the lock button on my key fob. And the volume sounds very low, but this is also a setting that can be changed with the BIU according to the above thread. Please help??????????
AnthonyArcaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:56 AM   #2
Wizardhat

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would not trust what the dealer service department is telling you. Its a red flag when you get blamed for the problem as you describe in this incident. In the past I have my share of service departments try to railroad the customer into taking the blame for their lack of quality service. That is my two cents of counsel. Wish I could be of more help.
Wizardhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyArcaro View Post
Okay so, I recently installed led door lights in my BRZ and this BLEW the BIU (Body Integrated Unit). I had my local dealership fix this and install a new unit. However, once they fixed this I had noticed that my DRL no longer came on at all, only when I put my high beams on. I told the dealership this and they had blamed this on my side marker lights that I installed. So I re-installed the factory side markers and still no luck. I am going to bring it back to the dealership but I think I know the problem.

I think that all they have to do is turn the DRL setting on the BIU to ON. Maybe when they installed the new BIU this setting was automatically turned off? This thread shows all the settings that the BIU controls and as you can see, the DRL is one of them.

Do you think this is it??? Also, my car no longer beeps after three clicks of the lock button on my key fob. And the volume sounds very low, but this is also a setting that can be changed with the BIU according to the above thread. Please help??????????
I've posted this a bunch but I had the same thing happen.

You can't use Techstream yourself to re-enable the DRL (I tried). You have to go through the dealer. My friend works at one and he brought out the techstream laptop for me.

Basically theres a setting for the headlights that is either "Halogen" or "HID" (don't think its called HID but its something like that). After replacing the BIU this must get reset to "Halogen" - We have the HID headlights. All they have to do is switch that option back over and your DRL will function normally (take it off the Halogen setting).
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
AnthonyArcaro

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
I've posted this a bunch but I had the same thing happen.

You can't use Techstream yourself to re-enable the DRL (I tried). You have to go through the dealer. My friend works at one and he brought out the techstream laptop for me.

Basically theres a setting for the headlights that is either "Halogen" or "HID" (don't think its called HID but its something like that). After replacing the BIU this must get reset to "Halogen" - We have the HID headlights. All they have to do is switch that option back over and your DRL will function normally (take it off the Halogen setting).

Okay, I will tell them this when I go in tomorrow. My only question though, isn't techstream for the frs?

Instagram: @subyota
Old 06-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
xxscaxx

Quote:
Okay, I will tell them this when I go in tomorrow. My only question though, isn't techstream for the frs?
No, its for both FRS/BRZ.

Tell them to change your headlight option over and it should fix your issue.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
AnthonyArcaro

Garage
Quote:
No, its for both FRS/BRZ.

Tell them to change your headlight option over and it should fix your issue.

Okay, thank you so much, I will let you know if this fixes the problem

Old 06-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #7
xxscaxx

Quote:
Okay, thank you so much, I will let you know if this fixes the problem
no problem man, as long as they switch over the setting it will fix it
Old 06-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

How did you short the BIU? Did you install using pliers or something? Just wanna know so I don't do it on accident.
For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:41 PM   #9
AnthonyArcaro

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsurety View Post
How did you short the BIU? Did you install using pliers or something? Just wanna know so I don't do it on accident.
Yes, do not install the door lights using ANYTHING that is conductive. I used a flathead screwdriver to pop the bulb out and you will not notice if the biu is blown at first. I only notices a few days later when the door lights would not turn off.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnthonyArcaro For This Useful Post:
illicitstylz (06-26-2014), unsurety (06-26-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #10
AnthonyArcaro

Garage
Quote:
no problem man, as long as they switch over the setting it will fix it

Thank you so much man this was the exact issue!

Old 07-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #11
xxscaxx

Quote:
Thank you so much man this was the exact issue!
glad you got it worked out

Tags
brz, drl, frs, ft86, subaru