follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-05-2021, 09:35 AM   #1
asian-ozzie86

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HKS mushroom filter damaging to the engine?

Hey guys, I'm a first time poster and literally just got an 86 last week.

The car came with HKS racing intake with the orange mushroom filter. After browsing some of the forums, I realised it wasn't the best intake out there especially in terms of hp gains, but some of the guys in the Supra forums were talking about the green ones being outright dangerous (link: https://www.supraforums.com/threads/...-truth.440717/).

I know I gotta replace the filter often so the foam doesn't fall apart and stuff up my engine, but I'm really concerned about it not filtering very well and sucking in particles that could be damaging to the engine.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Is it worth spending more money to replace it or should I just focus on maintenance?

Side note: I don't really care about the power as I'm not gonna spend a few hundred for +3hp when I can just get a tune.
asian-ozzie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:54 AM   #2
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
I could see them being not so good at filtering. If it fell apart and got sucked into the motor, it probably wouldn't actually hurt anything... Probably. If you're worried, just get a KN filter that fits in it's place. Cost you about 50$. You can go to their website and sort by sizes to find one that will work. Take that part number to Google/Amazon.

Supra guys are running big turbos with big suction and an impeller. Not really the same thing as what you're working with

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:27 PM   #3
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Best & cheapest way imho would be to put back stock air box (if you or previous owner still has it) with stock or aftermarket filter for it. As more expensive route i'd consider TRD or Grimmspeed intake. I'd ignore all the other options that bring more cons/issues/headaches then actual gains, including OP's HKS one.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (10-05-2021), x808drifter (10-06-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 12:39 PM   #4
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Best & cheapest way imho would be to put back stock air box (if you or previous owner still has it) with stock or aftermarket filter for it. As more expensive route i'd consider TRD or Grimmspeed intake. I'd ignore all the other options that bring more cons/issues/headaches then actual gains, including OP's HKS one.
Agreed. Stock, TRD, and Grimmspeed should be the only options you're looking at for an NA car. Every other option has significant downsides, be it HP loss, filtration issues, or general headaches. The stock box is very well optimized and very hard to improve upon.

I've heard bad things about the mushroom filters since the late 2000s. Their filtration in particular is pretty crap IIRC.

I would not take any chances and replace the mushroom filter with one of those 3 options.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (10-05-2021), x808drifter (10-06-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 12:58 PM   #5
Compelica

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Have heard experiences with other owners where chunks of the sponge filter eventually started to crumble and lodged itself in the intake. The owner couldn't find any issues until they finally tore down the intake manifold and found some of the filter media just before the intake valves.

Last edited by Compelica; 10-06-2021 at 03:49 AM.
Compelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:02 PM   #6
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compelica View Post
Have heard experiences with other owners where chunks of the sponge filter eventually started to crumble and lodged itself in the intake. The owner couldn't find any issues until they finally tore down the intake manifood and found some of the filter media just before the intake valves.
Still shouldn't really hurt anything. The poor filtration would be a bigger issue than the foam itself. The crumbs would just get burnt up in the combustion chamber

Old 10-05-2021, 01:22 PM   #7
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Still shouldn't really hurt anything. The poor filtration would be a bigger issue than the foam itself. The crumbs would just get burnt up in the combustion chamber

Poor filtration is reason enough to yeet the filter. I don’t want silica wearing my rings/bores, or contaminating my oil.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Ashikabi (10-05-2021), Ultramaroon (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 11:37 PM   #8
Compelica

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post

It was bad though - the car would stumble and hesitate out of nowhere with no CEL. It took the poor owner about a month with different shops to figure out the problem.
Compelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:26 AM   #9
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
It was bad though - the car would stumble and hesitate out of nowhere with no CEL. It took the poor owner about a month with different shops to figure out the problem.
100% correct.
I have personally seen this exact thing happen on a BRZ, a NA Miata, a 240sx and a civic.

If it's a small piece you may get away with it. You may not.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:18 AM   #10
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,631 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Or you can simply purchase a new foam in the correct diameter with more filtration. IIRC there is red, green and yellow. One of them is max suction, maybe go for the least aggressive one.

Genuine HKS filters that aren't exposed to severe overheating and if checked regularly should be safe. Exception if you are driving in dusty conditions regularly. I've had a green with my setup for around 7 years. I think I replaced it once after spilling oil on it accidentally, and otherwise I clean it with dish soap if it looks dirty. I also remove the MAF sensor and spray it clean occasionally. Works great.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:00 AM   #11
Ashikabi

Quote:
Was probably because it was pulling air too easily

Old 10-06-2021, 10:30 PM   #12
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
When I first bought my previous car it came with foam mushroom filters on the carbies. Sure enough one disintegrated after a while. The car stumbled and felt down on power for about 100 meters along the road, so I gave it some throttle (I was younger and dumber) and a few seconds later an almighty bang shot out the exhaust accompanied with a huge plume of black smoke. The car drove fine after that and there were no issues in the 8 years following that. That motor was far less sophisticated and tough as nails compared to the FA20 so its comparing apples and oranges I guess.

If it were me I'd swap it out for the stock intake or a quality aftermarket like the grimspeed but there is no hurry. Drive the car as it is and keep an eye out for one of those intakes that suits your budget

Tags
engine damage, filter, hks, intake, mushroom