follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #1
Leviticus Ezra

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/Performance Package
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Intake line for 3 port EBCS?

Hey guys,
Nearing the completion of my turbo build and want to make sure I have my thinking straight. If I want to utilize all three ports on an EBCS, the 3rd port should be coming from the line off the intake? If so, do I snag a T fitting and splice the line and I'm good to go?
Thank you!

Last edited by Leviticus Ezra; 09-04-2021 at 06:24 AM.
Leviticus Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:32 PM   #2
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

keep it simple
Old 09-06-2021, 12:18 AM   #3
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,788 Times in 3,293 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
There are two ways of running the controller. You can run it like running a manual boost controller to bleed off boost. The top of the wastegate is vented to atmosphere. A hose is run from the turbo to the “bottom”/side of the wastegate normally, but the EBC sits in between and bleeds off boost to atmosphere just like a manual boost controller. The difference is the amount of control to do boost by gear or whatever.

The better way to route the EBC is to run a line to the top of the wastegate from the solenoid and then have another go to the “bottom”/side of the wastegate, and this can be done in a few different configurations.

I believe people can also choose to run two lines instead of teeing off a line from the turbo. One line would be off the turbo to the “bottom”/side of the wastegate or to the solenoid. The second line would be off the intake manifold to the “bottom”/side of the wastegate or to the solenoid.

A third way is like the picture above with a tee, but the source is the intake manifold instead of the turbo.

Last edited by Irace86.2.0; 09-06-2021 at 01:44 AM.
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:08 AM   #4
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,788 Times in 3,293 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Advantages of the first way is simplicity.

Advantages of the second way is that pressure is being used to keep the wastegate closed, so it doesn’t crack before reaching the target boost. This translates to faster spool, and thus, there is more area under the curve with more low end torque. The disadvantage is complexity.

The advantage of going off the turbo instead of the intake manifold is better wastegate response, so less chance of boost spike, where going off the manifold there is overboost because of a slight delay to open the wastegate. The disadvantage historically has been needing to tap the turbo compressor or charge pipe, so people just teed into the intake manifold.

The advantage of venting the wastegate and/ solenoid to atmosphere is simplicity. The advantage of routing it back to the intake is for emissions for the air to get consumed after being contaminated with fuel/oil vapors circulating through the intake/turbo, and routing it to the intake means there is less chance of unfiltered air clogging the port or getting into the solenoid.
Krazyyykevin (09-06-2021)

Tags
boost control, forced induction, intake, turbo, vaccum lines