follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2016, 08:44 AM   #15
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frs_caskey View Post
Thanks for the advice and yea im going to wait on the shifter mods. i just would like to find a way to fix the very annoying 3rd and 5th gear rattle while accelerating above 4000 rpm.
Im very interested in the OFT. i watched a couple videos on it today and yea it does look pretty much idiot proof.

What makes the 2013 the most tail happy? just wondering. haven't heard that before.
The suspension is different on these cars, it seems they've changed it nearly every single year, and the brz and frs were always different. They wanted the FRS to be the most tail hapoy, but they've reigned it in a little bit more every year.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #16
frs_caskey

Drives: 2013 FRS DGM.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
Perrin rear shift bushing is safe to add. Any added noise claims on that is smoke being blown up your ass.

Good choice on the filter versus a full intake. I only switched to a GrimmSpeed when I had it because I got it free.
ok yea i might order the perrin rear shifter bushing but toyota just contacted me saying they would replace the shifter for free even though im past the 36000 mile warranty. so ill wait till that gets done see if it fixes that rattle then see about getting the bushing. little persistence goes a long way.

yea after all the info ive read no intake is really worth it except for the grimmspeed its just too far out of my budget for right now. would rather get a OFT. thats pretty cool that you got one for free.
frs_caskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #17
muffinsonacid

Drives: 2016 Black Scion FR-S
I installed the Yonaka cat back. Very mellow tone. Cold start sounds really bad ass but still pretty quiet. Less than $400 too. HP gain? def not. I should've bought the Greddy evo2 setup. Man that sounds good!!!!
Next step is intake but the Perrin cold air is illegal in Cali. Maybe Weapon R or aFe system? Idk. It's pretty cheap stuff.
I appreciate the feedback from all y'all. I had the same questions.

Throttle body spacers..... Thoughts?
muffinsonacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:25 PM   #18
frs_caskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinsonacid View Post
I installed the Yonaka cat back. Very mellow tone. Cold start sounds really bad ass but still pretty quiet. Less than $400 too. HP gain? def not. I should've bought the Greddy evo2 setup. Man that sounds good!!!!
Next step is intake but the Perrin cold air is illegal in Cali. Maybe Weapon R or aFe system? Idk. It's pretty cheap stuff.
I appreciate the feedback from all y'all. I had the same questions.
i went with the mxp comp rs. decent price less than $600 and had a lot of great reviews.

I decided not to go with a intake as mentioned above. there arent any worth getting except the grimmspeed in my opinion. and that one is too much money for me. just get a drop in filter. i would say get a silicone tube but havent found one worth getting either. the mishimoto intake tube looks great. good testing. but i costs over $200.

ill give you the same advice i was given. get a drop in filter and save for OFT
Old 10-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #19
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frs_caskey View Post
Thanks for the advice and yea im going to wait on the shifter mods. i just would like to find a way to fix the very annoying 3rd and 5th gear rattle while accelerating above 4000 rpm.
Im very interested in the OFT. i watched a couple videos on it today and yea it does look pretty much idiot proof.

What makes the 2013 the most tail happy? just wondering. haven't heard that before.
Supposedly suspension settings.
Lantana frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #20
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Drives: 15' LTD Subaru BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
depends what kind of tone of exhaust you are looking for... low- rumble or high

Instagram: 86_Maul
ShadowReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #21
frs_caskey

Update:
Just installed the mxp comp rs exhaust and it sounds great! JUST where I wanted it in terms of loudness. It looks great too and like the adjustable tips. Sound is deep aand doesn't sound like a fart can.
Perrin drop in filter installed as well. Haven't had a chance to really test it out because it's been raining a lot. However first impression is great. Very happy with purchase and would recommend the mxp to anyone. Also install was very easy, no problems, took about 30 mins.

Tags
exhaust, first mod, intake, shifter bushing