follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 07-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #3795
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Currently waiting on a replacement plug to try that. The oil well plug was filled with oil, so pulled the cover, reinstalled the seal and changed to multispark coil packs. Issue remained.
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #3796
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I don't understand the second sentence. What is 'the oil well plug' and cover you are talking about?
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:30 PM   #3797
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrBussiere View Post

I do have one quick question regarding the dreaded bypass valve:

This was just installed either at the end of 2018 or beginning of 2019 so I am fairly confident it has the beefy version - but is there an easy way to check? I feel like I read something while cruising through this thread but can't find it again..

Thanks all - glad to be a part of the "Supercharged Crew"!!
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...postcount=3631

That's the video I posted. More info than you need, but will show you what the new vs old one looks like.

No guarantee you have the new one. I just received my kit in May and I had the old one.
BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BR-ZED For This Useful Post:
ArrrBussiere (07-29-2020), Silverfox (07-28-2020), Swolzee (06-04-2021)
Old 07-28-2020, 10:41 PM   #3798
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
2018 to early 2019? doubt it's the beefier valve.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:22 AM   #3799
BR-ZED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
2018 to early 2019? doubt it's the beefier valve.
Agreed, I got the sense this part was revised in early 2020 sometime.

BTW something I didn't mention in the video.... when i talked to Edelbrock technical support, they mentioned they use the (old) bypass valve on a lot of their kits, but the only ones they have issues with are the ones from this car... something about our engine kills the valve. That's not particularly helpful but it is interesting.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:15 AM   #3800
ArrrBussiere

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ SC & 2018 Tacoma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR-ZED View Post
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...postcount=3631

That's the video I posted. More info than you need, but will show you what the new vs old one looks like.

No guarantee you have the new one. I just received my kit in May and I had the old one.
Awesome, thanks a ton man!

I'm going to be swapping the header after work on Friday and will do this at the same time. I'm hopeful it is the new one but, as a realist, I am preparing to call them and get the beefier one on order for the ordeal of replacing it down the line. I have another vehicle so if/when this one goes down from the bad valve it won't be the end of the world
ArrrBussiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #3801
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Sorry, I was rushed. The spark plug well was filled with oil so I replaced the face seal at the cam cover. I found the issue when I was going in to replace the coil pack with a multi spark pack.
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:57 AM   #3802
BR-ZED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrBussiere View Post
Awesome, thanks a ton man!

I'm going to be swapping the header after work on Friday and will do this at the same time. I'm hopeful it is the new one but, as a realist, I am preparing to call them and get the beefier one on order for the ordeal of replacing it down the line. I have another vehicle so if/when this one goes down from the bad valve it won't be the end of the world
Cool, keep us posted. Good luck with the install etc.

FYI if you need a stopgap apparently the old-style can be replaced with the SC still on the car. But to install the new one you need to pull the SC / manifold off the car.

General question for the community here: I wrote up a detailed install review with every single "snag" I hit during the install complete with links to everything I bought to enable me to do the install myself. Before I realized it, it was ~7 pages long. Is it appropriate to post here (will likely take multiple posts) or is it best to post it as a new thread? I would of course link it in this thread, but the idea was to attempt to provide as much comprehensive information as possible on this install from my point of view, in order to help people installing it who may have questions. Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BR-ZED For This Useful Post:
AKITA (07-30-2020), ArrrBussiere (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #3803
ArrrBussiere

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ SC & 2018 Tacoma
Quote:
Cool, keep us posted. Good luck with the install etc.

FYI if you need a stopgap apparently the old-style can be replaced with the SC still on the car. But to install the new one you need to pull the SC/manifold off the car.

General question for the community here: I wrote up a detailed install review with every single "snag" I hit during the install complete with links to everything I bought to enable me to do the install myself. Before I realized it, it was ~7 pages long. Is it appropriate to post here (will likely take multiple posts) or is it best to post it as a new thread? I would of course link it in this thread, but the idea was to attempt to provide as much comprehensive information as possible on this install from my point of view, in order to help people installing it who may have questions. Thanks!
Thank you, will do! And yeah, I was reading all about the issues with them before buying the car and determined it wasn't a big enough issue to turn me away. I fully intend on having to replace it with the new one. Not ideal, but at least then I'll know too!

As for your install and instructions, I would say that it would be invaluable to have them, but a separate thread with a link would be the best route to take. We may be able to somehow sticky it or have the link in the very first post or something like that?
ArrrBussiere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArrrBussiere For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (07-30-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 09:36 AM   #3804
rixon

Drives: Subaru 2020 BRZ
Super Charger Kit Back In Stock

The Super Charger kit is back in stock and they are still offering $500 Off.
rixon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rixon For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 12:41 PM   #3805
BR-ZED

Just curious... but the install instructions never mention reinstalling the big steel bracket/cover over the driver side fuel injectors. Is this necessary? It is heavy so I don't mind the weight reduction. Was just curious...

(PS - the passenger side cover is needed as the ECU bolts up to it).
Old 07-31-2020, 12:41 PM   #3806
Mad1723

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Just curious... but the install instructions never mention reinstalling the big steel bracket/cover over the driver side fuel injectors. Is this necessary? It is heavy so I don't mind the weight reduction. Was just curious...

(PS - the passenger side cover is needed as the ECU bolts up to it).
It wont fit without cutting into it. You can leave it off.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Mad1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mad1723 For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (08-01-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 10:56 PM   #3807
Gloonge

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just finished my install earlier this afternoon. Installed my tune from Open Flash (financially responsible option) and checked my map reading, it's at - 1.4 (should be near zero). Decided to see if it would start, turns over but does not run.

I am curious if this is to do with map scaling being off or if I missed something, currently waiting to hear back from shiv on the tune.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:45 PM   #3808
AKITA

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloonge View Post
Just finished my install earlier this afternoon. Installed my tune from Open Flash (financially responsible option) and checked my map reading, it's at - 1.4 (should be near zero). Decided to see if it would start, turns over but does not run.

I am curious if this is to do with map scaling being off or if I missed something, currently waiting to hear back from shiv on the tune.
Good to know Shiv's still alive.. curious to see how that tune works out. My DT Ecutek tune started first crank

Something I've learned in the last week or so. Mine's driving pretty good right now ..still think there's a little more in the tank but it's doing a lot better after..... wait for it

I removed my freaking Revo lightweight crank pulley.. may seem obvious in hindsight..but I don't think without serious tuning which I don't even know if that would correct the issues I was having while rev matching and general clutch disengaged throttle response. I've always said even before SC install that the crank pulley upgrades were the biggest waste of money (for me) unless you are trying to shave a tenth at the track. Well I further that opinion and say if not building a pure track car that lives at 7k rpm leave em off the car. All the other pulleys are fine just not the crank pulley.

Anyways removing it just fixed a lot of the little throttle behaviors I was having. It drives a whole lot better..
AKITA is offline   Reply With Quote