follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2018, 11:42 PM   #15
gahooligan

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So I installed this shifter along with IRS, Diff and trans mount bushing inserts. I also added the mtec springs.

Holy Mary Mother of God!!!! Sounds like the car is rattling apart!

So, being the normal problem-solving OCD mechanic I am there was no way I was listening to that rattle!

The bushings are not the source of the noise, so don't go there and the mtec springs are worth every penny.

It seems we all may or may not be talking about three different rattling noises. I have all three.

1) Noise one is road noise, trans noise (OMG it sounds like rocks) engine/exhaust noise and vibration. Remember the shifter is now mounted directly to the body, which now acts as a giant speaker resonating with the vibrations and trans noise, we also lost sound deadening under the console when we removed the stock lower rubber shift boot and foam pad. To solve these the CF/foam mount posted above is a good start. Anything to isolate the mount plate from the chassis will help. That thin rubber is useless. keep in mind though the softer the base material, the less solid the shifter is mounted. I used their gasket and washers but went back and cut up pieces of a camping pad and laid them inside the console around the shifter covering each direction as far as I could go, in multiple layers, up to just under the console underside. I ran them all the way against the shifter. I didn't pack them in as compressing the foam is just going to aid in transmitting the vibrations.

2) noise two is I believe exactly what some are complaining about (it is now apparent after solving the other noises) It is a distinctly thinner metallic rattle that does indeed sound like the shaft rattling inside the shifter. Haven't solved that one yet and only happens above 4500-5K. Upper revs is when I get that noise. I'll let you know if I solve it.

3) OMG, worst rattle of all. Sound deadening material masked it somewhat but no way, it was still there. It's a rattle. Heavier than the shaft inside the handle rattle. I have an UEL and I had the rattle about 3500k and above 4500 on up. But pretty much rattled constantly if you got on it. I have an UEL Header so my vibrations may be worse than others. I have a nice resonance vide at about 4100-4300 that vibrates the car pretty good (that a different topic). Back to the heavy and loud rattle... I could not find anything from the inside on the shifter that rattled like that. I even went so far as to get a back massager and hold it against the shift on high (lol, yes I did) but could NOT reproduce this rattle. Revving the engine in neutral (loud exhaust, UEL) would produce the rattle for 1/2 second at about 5k. Jacked up the car for a look underneath. Thought it might be the clip and washer when the shifter hooks to the trans gear selector shaft. Nope, tight as a drum! So, I kept looking. Following the shaft from shifter to transmission, I stumbled upon the problem. There is another joint in the shaft with a connection as found at the shifter. The transmission side fitting of this joint is secured to the front shaft with flattened face on the shaft and a pin. Over this pin, to keep it from falling out I assume, Is a metal ring, installed over the pin and it appears the be flattened to mathe the flat face of the rod and seems to be crimped at the ends. It's like a cup... except it doesn't fit quite right... or wasn't crimped tight enough... and it RATTLES LIKE A BITCH! If you have a rattle, climb under the car and see if you can find what I am talking about (no I didn't take pictures) If you have fat arms and hands you will probably need to lower the trans. I'm skinny an it was still a pain to reach and work with. I am on solution 2. I basically looped an o-ring around the shaft in front of the cup (trans side) and cinched it down (make a U around the shaft with the o ring and stick one end through the other) then I stretched the o ring over the cup and around the pin/washer/clip that secures the joint (you'll see what I am talking about when you look at it). Basically something to put pressure on the cup to keep it from rattling. Version one, lost the oring in about 50 miles but while in place. NOISE WAS REDUCED 85%!!!! Rattle GONE except rattle #2 above. Totally livable and much closer to stock! As soon as it was gone the rattling resumed and I knew I had lost it. This time around I did the same but also secured it in place (around selector shaft and up and around cup) with Gorilla duct tape. Scientific I know, right? It seems that this should actually stay in place. That tape is some good shit! I will keep you posted.

Lesson for the day: If I ever drop the trans, I AM FIXING THAT DAMN CUP!! It will take an act of Congress to make that thing rattle after I get done with it!

None of my mods interfered with the operation of the shifter in any way.

I hope this helps someone, or at least entertains you!

Now let's fix that damn shaft rattle in the handle itself!

PS - I love the shifter! Never gonna miss third again that's for sure! or guess if I am centered when downshifting. Bushings were an excellent cheap upgrade as well! Some of the best money spent yet. It definitely has more of a "direct drive" feeling and lost all the sway from the rear!

Matt in GA

Last edited by gahooligan; 01-03-2018 at 11:47 PM. Reason: spelling / grammar
gahooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:01 AM   #16
gahooligan

I may have solved the #2 rattle above, stay tuned...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #17
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I’m excited for your fixes
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:36 PM   #18
gahooligan

2nd rattle mostly fixed too!!

I now have 95% of the original rattles fixed. It's not church mouse quiet and that trans still sounds like a load of rocks in the dryer but the rattles from the shifter and linkage have mostly been tamed.

The main rattle I found in the car side of the shifter is actually the lockout cable between the metal sides of the shifter handle! do yourself a favor, pull off the boot and wiggle the cable back and forth left to right as fast as you can. You hear that metallic slap noise, increase the vibration frequency by about 50-100 and that's the metallic rattle sound I had coming from the shifter itself.

How did I solve it? I tried two ways. One was to make a thin carpet sheath using automotive pyle carpet (like at autozone) around the cable with the friz on the outside. I never tested this completely but it will work and moves with the cable, don't see an issue if you have a scrap piece laying around. What I did do was extremely low tech! I spiraled pipe cleaners around the cable from end to end. Just start the wrap and then just spin it around the cable while you feed it on then slide it up the cable. It took two pipe cleaners. The fuzz acts as a cushion to soak up the vibrating cable and does not allow the hard cable sheath to slap against the metal and make the metallic rattle noise.

I also had the shifter lock me out of pressing the release button, several times. Like it was jammed. I could still manually pull the release through the boot. It would mysteriously clear itself by the next drive. The third time it did this I screwed around with it and I pressed on the button pretty hard and can only describe what I think I felt, as I did not remove the button to inspect.

What it felt like was a bushing with machine marks (spirals) being pushed into its hole. "zziiittt, zzzziittt" each increment I pressed it down. I can report after doing this, the button action is much more free and quick-acting on depression and return, with no more jams.

Any remaining rattles have also decreased and become lower in pitch. It is now a full 95% quieter that when originally installed.

The trans seems to get louder as it heats up and the shifter, while still precise, does not feel to have the "fluid resistance dampened feel" (lol) that it does when the trans is cold. I prefer the feel and noise level when the oil is cold. Maybe a trans oil change is in order now that the car has 3k miles. Maybe a change to a thicker or more stable at temperature oil.

I hope this helps someone. Please let me know if you find any of the things I did or if any of my homebrew fixes work for you.

Matt in GA

Last edited by gahooligan; 01-09-2018 at 11:37 PM. Reason: spelling and horrible grammar
The Following User Says Thank You to gahooligan For This Useful Post:
JoeeStacks (01-09-2018)
Old 01-27-2019, 03:19 PM   #19
Mdulin

Drives: Scion Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage

Have a rattle in every gear but especially when I have it in a high gear. 6th gear has a distinct rattle every time I put it in it. I have foam stuffed in there but that’s it
Mdulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:20 AM   #20
gahooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdulin View Post

Have a rattle in every gear but especially when I have it in a high gear. 6th gear has a distinct rattle every time I put it in it. I have foam stuffed in there but that’s it
Either cable in the handle (see my pipe cleaner trick above) or its the collar in the middle of the shift linkags at the joint. Those were the two biggest rattles I had. No way to get rid of all the rattles. There is still going to be some rattle from the detent button and shaft. Loved having it but went back to stock shifter with stiffer detent and centering springs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2019, 07:57 AM   #21
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Can anyone comment as to if new versions of the shifter still have rattles? Or if the base still can come loose?

Found these:

November 2017

Seems like at this point he had the rattle fix kit. However the button still rattled.

In March 2018 he got a new one

This seemed to fix those issues. This implies to me that IRP made a revision mid-V3.

Can anyone who purchased the shifter more recently (late 2018 to early 2019) confirm the issues (rattles, issues in this thread, issues in the first video above) have been fixed?
BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #22
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR-ZED View Post
Can anyone comment as to if new versions of the shifter still have rattles? Or if the base still can come loose?

Found these:

November 2017

Seems like at this point he had the rattle fix kit. However the button still rattled.

In March 2018 he got a new one

This seemed to fix those issues. This implies to me that IRP made a revision mid-V3.

Can anyone who purchased the shifter more recently (late 2018 to early 2019) confirm the issues (rattles, issues in this thread, issues in the first video above) have been fixed?
Assuming FT86SF ships my order soon I should be able to tell you in a week or two.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wolffbite For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #23
Submarinesonce

Drives: Frs
yeah, it rattles still. i dont mind it though
JDL UEL Turbo GT2860RS, AP Racing BBK, Verus Splitter/diffuser/canards, Sard rep carbon wing, TFF bash bar, HKS hi power, Tein Flex A, Hotchkiss FSB, Radium MCB, Konig Hypergram 17x8, FS Indy 500, 6k HID, Whiteline trans bushing insert, Verus AOS, grimmspeed strut brace, Racerx oil cooler w/ setrab 619, ES steering rack bushings, Whiteline subframe bushings, Toms tails, STi mirror caps, IRP shifter, TRD Steering wheel
Submarinesonce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Submarinesonce For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 05:39 PM   #24
arkanist

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited, Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarinesonce View Post
yeah, it rattles still. i dont mind it though
+1, my exhaust is on the loud side so another rattle didn't bother me at all. That being said it isn't gonna rattle a ton unless you are getting on the gas hard.
arkanist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arkanist For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 08:41 PM   #25
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Thanks. I tend to think it won't bother me, but I'm not sure. if it's a subtle rattle,I don't think I would care. If it's really loud I probably would. @arkanist, how loud is your exhaust? Is the rattle quieter than it?

I have the nvidia n1, so car is relatively loud so maybe that would drown out the rattle?

What about the base piece? Did they fix it so it is nice and tight without having to add washers?
BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:27 PM   #26
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks. I tend to think it won't bother me, but I'm not sure. if it's a subtle rattle,I don't think I would care. If it's really loud I probably would. @arkanist, how loud is your exhaust? Is the rattle quieter than it?

I have the nvidia n1, so car is relatively loud so maybe that would drown out the rattle?

What about the base piece? Did they fix it so it is nice and tight without having to add washers?
I tried every fix in this thread and then some to stop the rattling. I was able to minimize most of the rattle below 4K rpm. Above 4K rpm was a horrible rattle in every gear that increases till redline. I had a stock catback on my car with a cutout. With the cutout open the car was twice as loud as it is now with the cutout open with an LS V8 engine.

So it didn't bother me with the cutout open and windows down but I would only do that at the racetrack or autoX. As much as I loved the feel of the shifter I can't imagine having it on a DD unless you have a completely obnoxious exhaust. If I could go back and do it again I would of just coughed up the money for a CAE shifter that is suppose to have zero rattle.

Last edited by GrabTheWheel; 09-27-2019 at 01:22 AM.
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 12:38 PM   #27
arkanist

Quote:

Greddy Evo 4 w/ Gruppe S UEL header. Pretty loud but I can still have a conversation.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #28
arkanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
I tried every fix in this thread and then some to stop the rattling. I was able to minimize most of the rattle below 4K rpm. Above 4K rpm was a horrible rattle in every gear that increases till redline.
Did you have the v3? The rattle has never bothered me enough to try these fixes.