follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
RR Racing
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #57
TRS

Drives: 2013' Toyota 86 (EU spec)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tilton ST246 is installed. Was not very convienient to pull the transmission of the LS in the tiny 86 tunnel. But lowering the crossmember and releasing also the engine mounts a little made it possible somehow. Surprisingly the old clutch disc didnt look too bad, but the flywheel und pressure plate werent in a good shape.

The clutch itself was a pretty straight forward install. The provided centering tool was OK, but will not work without further manual correction by just having it in place during the install. Its made of plastic, not strong or precise enough (in the Pilot bearing) to do the job without further help. But I think this is a pretty common issue with most centering tools included in clutch kits, even OEM.

A big plus of the Tilton slave cylinder is that it comes not only with pre installed 4AN lines but also with a bleeder assembly of very good quality. I prolonged the bleeder line with another 4AN line and routed the bleeder right next to the clutch fluid reservoir. For bleeding the clutch one can simply connect a short hose to the bleeder and let it drain back into the reservoir. So air can be pumped out without wasting tons of fluid. The line to the master cylinder was long enough that I could adapt it directly to the piece of OEM line I use as a close radius adapter to my Camaro OEM master.

I also installed the base plate of my new custom short shifter to the transmission. Since Im still waiting for some parts beeing manufactured for this assembly, this is also the reason I wasnt able to test drive the car yet. I just was able to roll out of the shop to the garage with 1st gear selected static. But so far I can say there is no added noise by this 2 disc system.

As well the inertia seems a little lower than OEM and the engine revs a little quicker while the weight isnt that much less than the OEM clutch and flywheel. But that was expected and Im absolutely fine with that since the engine is ideling with this clutch as with OEM clutch. For the two slow starts I did yet it also feels like a very controlable and streetable clutch. No stick/slip effect, no rough engagement.

Only thing is that Im now thinking about changing to a Tilton master also, since I had to reduce the pedal travel massively according to the installation instrutions to prevent overstrocking the slave cylinder. This is clearly a topic caused by my attempt to use the Tilton 6000 slave with a OEM master cylinder. A master cylinder with slightly smaler bore than the OEM Camaro one should be better, since not full travel of the pedal itself is used now, but therefore the pedal is stiffer than it would need to be. Unfortunately I dont know the bore diameter of the OEM master cylinder.

Here are some pics of the install:

Last edited by TRS; 09-29-2020 at 03:48 PM.
TRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TRS For This Useful Post:
kask2_6.0 (09-28-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 06:20 PM   #58
TRS

Drives: 2013' Toyota 86 (EU spec)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The ShortShifter is in! Yeah!

Unfortunately, one part is not quite as planned. The machine shop didn't finish the part with the ball head, that finally goes into the gearbox, soon enough. So we improvised it in the garage by modifing the corresponding part of the old shifter. Although that old ball head is still a bit undersized and the shift lever still has some play due to that, it is already worlds better than the GTO shifter. Also the neutral position makes a much better impression, because the additional spring from the shifter doesn't interfere anymore.

So the first prototype is directly functional. I will optimize some of the fits for possible replicas. Otherwise the only "problem" is that I will have to rename the thing to "UltraShort-Shifter". It takes a bit of getting used to at first, but once you've made a few gear changes and even more after you've shifted to redline for the first time and then fly through the gears, it's great. Yes, you need a bit more force now because of the ratio for shortened travel, but I think it's absolutely within acceptable limits.

So, I also was able to drive the new clutch now. The driveability is great, in fact almost like an original clutch. You can also slowly engage. Only negative point that now, with some breaking-in, clearly noises are to be heard while ideling and under low speed WOT. However, it is still well below the level of many other sport clutches Ive heared. Nevertheless I have a tear in my eye, because it is a step away from the OEM feeling, as I feared. But the main thing now is that the clutch does its job for a resonable time. If I dont "escalate" completely with the further conversions so that the output power doesn't allow this in the meantime, the next try will be the to use a LS7 OEM clutch.

Little update: Noise is within accepteble range in upper gears while cruising with low rpm. Only 4th gear (due to 1:1 ratio) is pretty load up to 2k rpm. Ideling noise is not that bad as I thought first. Could be accepteble if it stays like that.

Last edited by TRS; 10-08-2020 at 04:13 AM.
TRS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cad, diy, ls swap, ls3