follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #43
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
I'm a little late to the party, but being both a sucker for precise data and bored, I though this would be interesting:
In case the image goes dead, it gives a verified weight of 1235kg (2 722lbs) for a RHD pre-FL euro-spec 86, with GPS / Leather / HIDs / etc. That's with all fluids and 50% of the tank. No luggage or driver.
nits to pick with that info:
The flat four is NOT particularly "set-back", but rather forward-mounted for an FR sports/sporty car.
55/45 weight distribution is NOT "good" for an FR sports/sporty car, especially considering a 2.0 n.a. powerplant. Notoriously nose-heavy Mustangs with ginormous DOHC V8s up front have the same f/r weight distribution.
No stock Miata ever weighed 1248 kg/2752 lb.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:39 AM   #44
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Savagegeese just did a video on a 2020 86 TRD and he weighed it at 2795 lbs (1268 kgs) (weight figure at 6:19). I would assume his weight is wet (but can't guess at the fuel amount). The TRD is reportedly heavier than base by quite a bit.
Ohio Enthusiast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
alex87f (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 10:46 AM   #45
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
The TRD is reportedly heavier than base by quite a bit.
Those brakes and wheels are most of it.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #46
Ohio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
The flat four is NOT particularly "set-back", but rather forward-mounted for an FR sports/sporty car.
Nitpick on your nitpick - the engine is definitely not forward mounted (just pop the hood of any FWD car and you'll see the engine is well in front of the suspension towers - that's forward mounted). The debate about whether or not you can call the Twins front-mid depends on your point of view, but I doubt anyone called it forward mounted before. The engine is more or less inline with the wheels, and probably a few inches more to the back would have satisfied the front-mid purist. Then again, the "real" mid-engine purist will scoff even at that... (what with the driver being behind the engine and all. I wonder what they would say about the first gen Previa...).
Old 05-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #47
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Nitpick on your nitpick - the engine is definitely not forward mounted (just pop the hood of any FWD car and you'll see the engine is well in front of the suspension towers - that's forward mounted). The debate about whether or not you can call the Twins front-mid depends on your point of view, but I doubt anyone called it forward mounted before. The engine is more or less inline with the wheels, and probably a few inches more to the back would have satisfied the front-mid purist. Then again, the "real" mid-engine purist will scoff even at that... (what with the driver being behind the engine and all. I wonder what they would say about the first gen Previa...).
No. the engine CG is way in front of the shock towers
Attached Images

Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Spuds (05-01-2020), SuperTom (05-01-2020), ZDan (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 11:23 AM   #48
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Nitpick on your nitpick - the engine is definitely not forward mounted (just pop the hood of any FWD car and you'll see the engine is well in front of the suspension towers - that's forward mounted).
FF is a completely different configuration with different design needs. Given how much the driven wheels are unloaded on acceleration, they have to get a lot of static weight over them. Hence they mount it forward of the front wheels. Not relevant to us...

I'll repeat what I said:

This is just the truth. Any FR sports/sporty car worth its salt will have the engine mounted further aft. The FT86 engine sits with its geometric center quite forward. The only saving grace is that it is a very short engine fore/aft. But a big drawback of the flat-4 is that without steer-by-wire (ewww...) it has to sit forward enough to allow clearance for a steering shaft! Which scooted it rather forward... See below:

The engine is located rather far forward for an FR layout.

Quote:
The debate about whether or not you can call the Twins front-mid depends on your point of view,
"Front-mid" is pure marketing B.S. anyway. Fact is that with an FR car you want the engine mounted as far aft as you can get it, whether or not some arbitrary part of the engine is forward or aft of the front wheel centerline. That said, the FT86's engine *is* set quite far forward for an FR sports/sporty car. Which did NOT help the weight distribution which is a craptastic 55F/45R. But that's also due to the rear wheels shoved ridiculously far aft. A 2-seat version with rear wheels moved forward a good 12" or so would get the weight distribution to 50/50.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #49
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ZN6 View Post
How can I find out which model I have A-E?
iirc first yr is the only A model, cuz that's the lightest. They had to reinforce a lot of things... like the roof (due to owner bending it). After that, it's every other year. So it kinda go like this:
2012 ~ Early 2013: A
2013 ~ 2014: B
2015 ~ 2016: C
2017 ~ 2018: D
2019 ~ 2020: E

Model D and Model E doesn't have much difference iirc, but every other year, they tried to update.

So if you want the lightest 86, go buy '12 model. If you want the most updated 86, go buy '19 and up model.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #50
Ohio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
No. the engine CG is way in front of the shock towers
Quote:
I'll repeat what I said:
So you both are basically looking at the engine location from a FR sports car perspective. That's cool, but it's the same as calling the Twins heavy when compared to pure(r) sports cars like the Elise. That would be technically true, but kinda missing the point. Comparing the Twins to an Elise or a Miata is just as valid as comparing to a GTI or a 230i. I'm not comparing the Twins to a pickup or a supercar, but in the general category of relatively cheap, sporty, fun to drive cars.

Quote:
"Front-mid" is pure marketing B.S. anyway.
So what constitutes a mid engine car? That the engine is behind the driver and in front of the rear axle? What if it's on top of the rear axle? When does a mid-engine turn into a rear-engine? The same exact answer is for front vs. mid-front. It's just a matter of were you draw the line. You can measure between the engine's center of gravity and the center line of the wheels, you can require that no part of the engine (short block? long block?) intersects the wheel center line. It's pure semantics, and at the end of the day if you're happy with the car, why do you care where the engine is at?
Old 05-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #51
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So you both are basically looking at the engine location from a FR sports car perspective. That's cool, but it's the same as calling the Twins heavy when compared to pure(r) sports cars like the Elise. That would be technically true, but kinda missing the point. Comparing the Twins to an Elise or a Miata is just as valid as comparing to a GTI or a 230i. I'm not comparing the Twins to a pickup or a supercar, but in the general category of relatively cheap, sporty, fun to drive cars.

So what constitutes a mid engine car? That the engine is behind the driver and in front of the rear axle? What if it's on top of the rear axle? When does a mid-engine turn into a rear-engine? The same exact answer is for front vs. mid-front. It's just a matter of were you draw the line. You can measure between the engine's center of gravity and the center line of the wheels, you can require that no part of the engine (short block? long block?) intersects the wheel center line. It's pure semantics, and at the end of the day if you're happy with the car, why do you care where the engine is at?
The answer you seek is all over google.

I think it's pretty obvious that the 86 is not a "front-mid" engine car, unlike the midship S2000.

It's not really semantics either; maybe in your mind.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:30 PM   #52
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
55/45 weight distribution is NOT "good" for an FR sports/sporty car, especially considering a 2.0 n.a. powerplant. Notoriously nose-heavy Mustangs with ginormous DOHC V8s up front have the same f/r weight distribution.
No stock Miata ever weighed 1248 kg/2752 lb.
I thought the distribution was something like 53F/47R ...
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #53
Ohio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
The answer you seek is all over google.
Sure, with 10 different ways of differentiating them, and some rear-mid-engine thrown in to the mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that the 86 is not a "front-mid" engine car, unlike the midship S2000.

It's not really semantics either; maybe in your mind.
I was referring to the "front-mid is marketing BS". I know that the Twins aren't front-mid.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #54
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I thought the distribution was something like 53F/47R ...
Correct... but I think, he's just round it up to make it easier. Also it might of changed a bit since then. That was '12 model and since '17 model, they've updated a lot of rear area, so it might be close to 52:48 or even 51:49 (depends on wet or dry weight).

Not gonna go into where engine sit nor 50:50 weight ratio, cuz tbh 90% of owner out there can't tell the difference between 50:50 or where the hell engine sit under the hood. Let's face it 50:50 ratio goes into more than just weight. There's tires, brake, suspension and aero down force factor goes into it. Most ppl say 50:50 is ideal for no reason, fact or why. If you want, Tada-san said you can push back 4~6" back and 2" down the engine (forgot exact number) plus replacing the battery w lighter one (or move it into the trunk) and take off few pointless parts from the front, will make it 50:50 easily.

But the reality is doing that won't do much. If it truly did, Tada-san and other engineer would of already done it.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #55
Ohio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Correct... but I think, he's just round it up to make it easier. Also it might of changed a bit since then. That was '12 model and since '17 model, they've updated a lot of rear area, so it might be close to 52:48 or even 51:49 (depends on wet or dry weight).
Interesting that the graphic mentions that the weight distribution is measured with 2 people in the car. Looks like the seats are positioned closer to the rear of the car, so that probably helps with weight distribution. I think most other places measure weight distribution without people. The aforementioned savagegeese clip has it as 55.16/44.84 for the 2020 TRD.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:11 PM   #56
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Interesting that the graphic mentions that the weight distribution is measured with 2 people in the car. Looks like the seats are positioned closer to the rear of the car, so that probably helps with weight distribution. I think most other places measure weight distribution without people. The aforementioned savagegeese clip has it as 55.16/44.84 for the 2020 TRD.
Yeah, they factor in driver to do weight ratio. Pointless to do no driver weight ratio. As for the vid, is that ratio w the driver? I just saw it quickly, but didn't mention anything about that. Not knocking on SG, but some days, I wish they tell more in-depth info when they show those numbers.