follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2022, 06:16 PM   #1
Alastor

Drives: Toyota gt86 my19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Engine bay cleaning without cover.

Has anyone cleaned it without covering anything? I don't have access to low pressure water, I have to go to a sink and the pressure is quite high.

I know what they recommend to cover, fuse box, alternator and battery, but has anyone washed without covering anything?

Thank you
Alastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 06:26 PM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I've never bothered covering anything, just don't get water in the intake. Let it dry out for a while before running it, or hit it with air from a compressor or at least a leaf blower
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Alastor (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 06:29 AM   #3
Alastor

Thanks dude.

More people clean without cover?
Old 10-19-2022, 09:03 AM   #4
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,128 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
A hose, all purpose cleaner, rags, a brush is all you really need. Apply cleaner and let it dwell, rince off. Apply more cleaner then use the brush to agitate dirt and rinse off.

I cover the ecu and alternator with a rag while I spray everything down. Tap water is considered low pressure by the way. You'll be fine
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 09:37 AM   #5
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
A hose, all purpose cleaner, rags, a brush is all you really need. Apply cleaner and let it dwell, rince off. Apply more cleaner then use the brush to agitate dirt and rinse off.

I cover the ecu and alternator with a rag while I spray everything down. Tap water is considered low pressure by the way. You'll be fine
This is similar to what I do.

I give the bay a quick rinse with just the hose and one of the lower power spray patterns on my nozzel (i.e. NOT the high pressure jet) to knock off the surface dirt. From there I'll spray everything down with APC, let it dwell, and then gently scrub what I can with my wheel brushes. The last step is a rinse in which I really just let the water run over every thing to rinse off the APC rather than spraying. I'll let it dry for a while with the hood open.

Once everything is dry, I'll hit the plastics and rubber bits with a trim dressing like Carpro Perl.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 09:57 AM   #6
Alastor

Thank you very much to all.

I think it was misunderstood, because of the low pressure hose, the problem is that I don't have a low pressure hose since I take it to a washing box with its pressurized water, but I could fill buckets of water and drop it simply through it engine bay.

The conditioner I use is the Carpro Perl is one of the best.
Old 10-19-2022, 12:08 PM   #7
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
For dressing the engine bay, Meguairs Hyper Dressing. Spray on, walkway
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:52 AM   #8
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
You can always go to your local store and ask for plastic bags, or cover the ECU, Battery, Alternator with plastic wrap.

I've cleaned my bay about 3 times and used either Gunk 3 step products, or Simple Green diluted with water. No issues.

As long as you dont take a 5000psi hose to the bay, you're good. Garden hose is about 8psi or a little more at best. So its more than enough. Or you can use a spray bottle, fill it with water, rinse and wipe as you go. Takes more time but it is an option.
Old 10-20-2022, 01:04 PM   #9
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

If a coin-op wash bay is your only choice, just don't shove the wand in the engine bay and blast. Stand back a distance to where the water is just showering the engine compartment and not splashing all over the place. You also have to be more careful with covering important bits like the fuse box and the ECU.

The spray bottle suggestion made me thing of something else. There are pump sprayers of various sizes you could use too. Some are hand held and available at a detailing sites, or your could try a 1~2 gallon garden pump sprayer too. Fill them with water for rinsing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Desertnate For This Useful Post:
e_lunatic (10-20-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 02:56 PM   #10
e_lunatic

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
If a coin-op wash bay is your only choice, just don't shove the wand in the engine bay and blast. Stand back a distance to where the water is just showering the engine compartment and not splashing all over the place. You also have to be more careful with covering important bits like the fuse box and the ECU.

The spray bottle suggestion made me thing of something else. There are pump sprayers of various sizes you could use too. Some are hand held and available at a detailing sites, or your could try a 1~2 gallon garden pump sprayer too. Fill them with water for rinsing.

This.
I've had my detail guy clean my engine bay for years and i just tell them not to get up close and personal with the pressure washer. zero issues
e_lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 04:14 PM   #11
Alastor

And than how to clean this covered parts? Only with a dry brush? I can't to clean with APC on this components?
Old 10-21-2022, 09:45 AM   #12
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

You can get those areas wet, just don't blast them with a hose or power washer.

The problem isn't the outside of those cases/boxes getting wet, the issue is water getting inside them.

I'd spray them gentry with APC and then brush them or wet a towel with APC and wipe them until clean. Follow up with another towel wetted with your plastic trim product of choice.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:53 PM   #13
Alastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
You can get those areas wet, just don't blast them with a hose or power washer.

The problem isn't the outside of those cases/boxes getting wet, the issue is water getting inside them.

I'd spray them gentry with APC and then brush them or wet a towel with APC and wipe them until clean. Follow up with another towel wetted with your plastic trim product of choice.
Thanks!
Old 10-26-2022, 01:28 PM   #14
Matt93SE

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Cars are designed to get wet- the engine bay is open to the elements and can take splashing/ sprayed water. Just don't hit any of the computers, connectors, fuse box seams, or air filter up close with a power sprayer.

When I'm cleaning mine, I just stick a plastic bag over the air filter and then go to town with engine cleaner chemical. let it soak for a bit, then rinse off with a water hose or power sprayer from a couple feet.

When I'm done washing, I use compressed air / leaf blower to blow water out of the little holes and valleys on top of the block.

Once I'm done with that, I start the car and let it run with the A/C on high until the engine is up to operating temp. The A/C on causes the rad fans to run, which blows a ton of heat around the engine bay and dries stuff out pretty quick.
Matt93SE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt93SE For This Useful Post:
Desertnate (10-31-2022)