follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-29-2022, 12:04 AM   #15
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,150 Times in 462 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You're nearly 3.5x older than me so your needs and tolerance for discomfort are different than mine, but I'll still chime in. I agree with the general sentiment that this chassis is just a vessel for memories and relationships. In 2022 I drove across North America 3 times, visiting 4 provinces and at least 12 states (I lost count lol). Would I have done it in this car again? Absolutely. Would I have done it in a "cruiser" car, definitely.

If I were to switch platforms, I would be moving to something like a CL9 TSX. Still has a sporty aftermarket and the ability to get it with a manual. Plus out of the box it has plush leather seats, sound deadening, and is designed to be a comfortable highway car. Four doors also means you can more comfortably pack things, though the 86 is no slouch for cargo space.

I do somewhat disagree with getting an outback, there's nothing wrong with them. They're perfectly fine. They go A to B and do it pretty well. Personally I just find them very bland driving cars, but on the highway you can quite easily set and forget the cruise control.

Btw with the newer Outbacks, be sure to keep the sunroof drains clear. They can clog and cause major leaks in the roof that wick their way into the main chassis harness... S/O's uni roommate's 2019 was at Subaru a lot getting the seals fixed and harness replaced.
Old 11-29-2022, 04:23 PM   #16
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@villainous_frx Trust me, if I were only twice as old as you are, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Unfortunately, the years do tend to catch up with you, and they have with us. I had a couple of Gen 1 Integras back in the late 80s and a TSX has been on my "like" list for a long time.

That said, the Outback is in the crosshairs now for several specific reasons. First, all wheel drive. Many has been the time we've been on the road and noticed an interesting dirt, gravel, or rocky side road. I have not been able to bring myself to try many of them either in the BRZ or in my wife's Camry. I know other car makers build awd cars, but from what I can tell, for most things short of rock crawling, Subaru still does it best.

Edit: and most affordably.

Second is ground clearance. 9.5" will get me most places that I think I might want to go (and have any business trying).

Third is the powertrain. I don't care much at for CVTs, (Really don't care for them) but the turbo'd FA24 in the Outback Wilderness (and XTs) runs really well. My wife insists she have "ponies" under her right foot and the XT engines seem competitive with her old VQ35 Maxima and her current V6 Camry.

Fourth is experience. My youngest son lives in the PNW and has had first a Crosstrek and now a '22 Outback Wilderness. Last fall I flew up and we roadtripped down to deep south Texas in his OBW, with a couple of side trips on the way. I quite liked the car. Not enough to let the BRZ go, but enough to nobble my wife (unsuccessfully) to consider swapping in the Camry.

This fall she flew up and made the same trip down with him. Over the year since my trip, we have driven several 5 to 6 hour days in the BRZ. Each has left us both pretty beat. In addition, I've managed to break my hip and she's been battling some back issues. Old age is not a place for sissies. After the last 400+ mile day trip in the BRZ she doesn't think she wants to do that anymore. So, here we are.

Thanks for the tip about the drain holes. And, I recommend that as the years pile up for you, keep pushing.

Last edited by Capt Spaulding; 11-29-2022 at 04:33 PM.
Capt Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt Spaulding For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-30-2022), villainous_frx (11-29-2022), Wally86 (11-30-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 08:23 PM   #17
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,150 Times in 462 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
@villainous_frx Trust me, if I were only twice as old as you are, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Unfortunately, the years do tend to catch up with you, and they have with us. I had a couple of Gen 1 Integras back in the late 80s and a TSX has been on my "like" list for a long time.

That said, the Outback is in the crosshairs now for several specific reasons. First, all wheel drive. Many has been the time we've been on the road and noticed an interesting dirt, gravel, or rocky side road. I have not been able to bring myself to try many of them either in the BRZ or in my wife's Camry. I know other car makers build awd cars, but from what I can tell, for most things short of rock crawling, Subaru still does it best.

Edit: and most affordably.

Second is ground clearance. 9.5" will get me most places that I think I might want to go (and have any business trying).

Third is the powertrain. I don't care much at for CVTs, (Really don't care for them) but the turbo'd FA24 in the Outback Wilderness (and XTs) runs really well. My wife insists she have "ponies" under her right foot and the XT engines seem competitive with her old VQ35 Maxima and her current V6 Camry.

Fourth is experience. My youngest son lives in the PNW and has had first a Crosstrek and now a '22 Outback Wilderness. Last fall I flew up and we roadtripped down to deep south Texas in his OBW, with a couple of side trips on the way. I quite liked the car. Not enough to let the BRZ go, but enough to nobble my wife (unsuccessfully) to consider swapping in the Camry.

This fall she flew up and made the same trip down with him. Over the year since my trip, we have driven several 5 to 6 hour days in the BRZ. Each has left us both pretty beat. In addition, I've managed to break my hip and she's been battling some back issues. Old age is not a place for sissies. After the last 400+ mile day trip in the BRZ she doesn't think she wants to do that anymore. So, here we are.

Thanks for the tip about the drain holes. And, I recommend that as the years pile up for you, keep pushing.
Totally valid reasons! Just keep having adventures