follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-19-2022, 07:24 PM   #4089
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have to sit through a hundred or so of these a year. Same story just changed enough to suit the season. Also the same actors and locations in about 90% of them which get's confusing as hell.
I probably watch at least part of one two or three times a week, but fortunately it's during MomHawk's "me time" and she doesn't care if I get up and do something else.

Finding Hallmark and GAC (the channel a lot of Hallmark actors just moved to) was the final challenge in our household "cut the cord" initiative. I was finally able to get it on FRNDLY TV for a reasonable price with DVR functions so everyone (meaning MomHawk) bought into cutting the cord.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (09-19-2022), soundman98 (09-20-2022), spike021 (09-19-2022), Tcoat (09-19-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 12:26 AM   #4090
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
hallmark movies are like christmas music or fairy tales.

by the time you've seen/heard the 10th one, it either becomes a form of torture, or you become numb to the world.
NoHaveMSG (09-20-2022), spike021 (09-20-2022), Spuds (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 07:31 AM   #4091
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
hallmark movies are like christmas music or fairy tales.

by the time you've seen/heard the 10th one, it either becomes a form of torture, or you become numb to the world.
soundman98 (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 08:18 AM   #4092
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
The detailing side gig has been pretty great so far. Im absolutely stunned that not a single one of my customers has had anything bad to say. I've been resorting to use our workplace message board and all patrons have been, in a way, coworkers.

Don't have a fancy flier, nor social media account, with fancy videos, is just been good post reviews and word of mouth among employees.

The funny thing is that someone else has decided to join the game, who names his packages "Gold-Platinum'. Charges more than double of what I do, and is also the same guy that when I first started doing this, contacted me, stated he had an actual business, and that I should be charging more. To this day I'm still wondering if he was trying to look out for me, or take me out as competition.

I've done so many details and washes, and this is kind of sad, but I've become super efficient at it. That even when I do my own car, I now forget to enjoy the me-time I used to have before I started all this. I should order a bunch of parts to sort off reset my mind on the joy of doing something with the BRZ.
Teseo (09-20-2022), Ultramaroon (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 09:51 AM   #4093
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
The detailing side gig has been pretty great so far. Im absolutely stunned that not a single one of my customers has had anything bad to say. I've been resorting to use our workplace message board and all patrons have been, in a way, coworkers.

Don't have a fancy flier, nor social media account, with fancy videos, is just been good post reviews and word of mouth among employees.

The funny thing is that someone else has decided to join the game, who names his packages "Gold-Platinum'. Charges more than double of what I do, and is also the same guy that when I first started doing this, contacted me, stated he had an actual business, and that I should be charging more. To this day I'm still wondering if he was trying to look out for me, or take me out as competition.

I've done so many details and washes, and this is kind of sad, but I've become super efficient at it. That even when I do my own car, I now forget to enjoy the me-time I used to have before I started all this. I should order a bunch of parts to sort off reset my mind on the joy of doing something with the BRZ.
Any hobby that becomes a paying proposition becomes a job.
Capt Spaulding (09-20-2022), Dadhawk (09-20-2022), soundman98 (09-20-2022), spcmafia (09-20-2022), Spuds (09-20-2022), Teseo (09-20-2022), Ultramaroon (09-20-2022), x808drifter (09-21-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 10:54 AM   #4094
spcmafia

Quote:

Got that right.
soundman98 (09-20-2022), Tcoat (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 11:37 AM   #4095
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I only do side work for select people because of this and I never charge. Once you start charging it changes the whole game.
Spuds (09-20-2022), Tcoat (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 12:33 PM   #4096
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I only do side work for select people because of this and I never charge. Once you start charging it changes the whole game.
I make a solid $1 an hour when I do commissioned model builds!

Dadhawk (09-20-2022), NoHaveMSG (09-20-2022), soundman98 (09-20-2022), Spuds (09-20-2022), Ultramaroon (09-20-2022), x808drifter (09-21-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 01:04 PM   #4097
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I may have to turn in my (old) man card. I got lost in the music.
Stephen W. (09-20-2022), Tcoat (09-20-2022), x808drifter (09-21-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 02:25 PM   #4098
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
I may have to turn in my (old) man card. I got lost in the music.
Meh. I think she's much better looking when she isn't trying so hard to be "sexy model guitar player" and just "kick ass guitar player"

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (09-20-2022), Spuds (09-20-2022), Ultramaroon (09-20-2022), x808drifter (09-21-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 03:53 PM   #4099
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Meh. I think she's much better looking when she isn't trying so hard to be "sexy model guitar player" and just "kick ass guitar player"

Pretty girl. Good guitarist. Pick your order.
Dadhawk (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 08:02 PM   #4100
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I make a solid $1 an hour when I do commissioned model builds!
Slow work takes time!
NoHaveMSG (09-20-2022), soundman98 (09-20-2022), Tcoat (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 10:09 PM   #4101
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post

the best way to grow any business is word of mouth. it's slow and consistent gains, that also allow you to control who you deal with. it also better allows you to control the quality of what you're selling too.

my mom does sewing as a little side business, mostly womens pants/dresses. at first, it was all word-of-mouth. then she got her name into a few formal dress shops. business had slow and consistent gains.

then she tried adding her name at joanne fabrics. it was like getting a billboard on the highway. she doubled in calls coming in, but they got progressively weirder/worse. massively complex cat outfits with no pattern. making 'jeans' out of obscure fabrics. 40 year old threadbare coats that 'just need this one seam fixed'...

word of mouth is good!

as far as your pricing, i find it really weird that this guy called you out over it.
odder still is how he did it so early on when you started. an actual business is going to have drastically higher costs, so it does make sense that he's charging roughly double over a "man 'n van" operation.

but that said, i hear of electrical companies starting all the time-- many of them will attempt to undercut my companies rates one way or another to gain customers. at first it works, we might lose a few jobs here and there. but then either the quality starts suffering, and those customers start calling back for us to fix what the other company couldn't, or that company starts getting more serious, and their back-end costs raise to the point that their rates become similar to my companies, or in some cases, they attempt to grow too fast, and accidently raise rates above my companies. to which all those customers start coming back to our then-cheaper rate...

i or my boss has never even thought to call out any one of these other shops-- we always attempt to look at what makes them different. the costs of any business are quite well fixed, so anyone that severely undercuts established players tends to always be skewing the system some way-- one guy had a line to buying stuff at the employee discount level. that worked for a little while until corporate caught on..

in your case, you are doing it out of your own garage for 'free', contrasted to him likely paying rent at a commercial building for garage space. and doing it on the side, you can't take on as many customers, but without needing to pay for benefits, that also drastically reduces costs...

the simple question is this "do you have more work than you can handle?"
if yes, your prices are too low.
if no, your prices are likely inline with customer expectations.
spcmafia (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 07:29 AM   #4102
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
the best way to grow any business is word of mouth. it's slow and consistent gains, that also allow you to control who you deal with. it also better allows you to control the quality of what you're selling too.

my mom does sewing as a little side business, mostly womens pants/dresses. at first, it was all word-of-mouth. then she got her name into a few formal dress shops. business had slow and consistent gains.

then she tried adding her name at joanne fabrics. it was like getting a billboard on the highway. she doubled in calls coming in, but they got progressively weirder/worse. massively complex cat outfits with no pattern. making 'jeans' out of obscure fabrics. 40 year old threadbare coats that 'just need this one seam fixed'...

word of mouth is good!

as far as your pricing, i find it really weird that this guy called you out over it.
odder still is how he did it so early on when you started. an actual business is going to have drastically higher costs, so it does make sense that he's charging roughly double over a "man 'n van" operation.

but that said, i hear of electrical companies starting all the time-- many of them will attempt to undercut my companies rates one way or another to gain customers. at first it works, we might lose a few jobs here and there. but then either the quality starts suffering, and those customers start calling back for us to fix what the other company couldn't, or that company starts getting more serious, and their back-end costs raise to the point that their rates become similar to my companies, or in some cases, they attempt to grow too fast, and accidently raise rates above my companies. to which all those customers start coming back to our then-cheaper rate...

i or my boss has never even thought to call out any one of these other shops-- we always attempt to look at what makes them different. the costs of any business are quite well fixed, so anyone that severely undercuts established players tends to always be skewing the system some way-- one guy had a line to buying stuff at the employee discount level. that worked for a little while until corporate caught on..

in your case, you are doing it out of your own garage for 'free', contrasted to him likely paying rent at a commercial building for garage space. and doing it on the side, you can't take on as many customers, but without needing to pay for benefits, that also drastically reduces costs...

the simple question is this "do you have more work than you can handle?"
if yes, your prices are too low.
if no, your prices are likely inline with customer expectations.

Your last sentences pretty much hit the spot. I charge what I do because, well, I don't want to over-promise and under-deliver. I always set the expectations exactly where they should be before booking any detailing. I do it from my own house, or keep it within my immediate area if I have to do a house visit. I set my own hours and never book too many jobs in a day. Because I can, and is not something that I need, is just nice to have cash, plus I have to take care of my back and how much strain I put myself under.

I could have a lot more work than I can handle, I just distribute it well enough that it doesn't become a strain, I talk to the customer and they seem to respect it since after all, we all work for the same place during the day, so they know what to expect.
soundman98 (09-21-2022)

Tags
have you turned it off/on, i heart my boxer, i still hate you all, kiss me, maple syrup, multipass, next one is a prequel, ow my balls, special_k abandoned you, the search for more money