follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-15-2015, 03:37 AM   #1
Roto88

Drives: White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Vehicle shipped to Germany now Radio/usb dont work.

I recently moved to Germany. I shipped my vehicle from Dallas and it took about a month a half to arrive here. Along the way the battery lost charge and it had to be jumped once, maybe more. The problem is that now the radio or the USB charge port don't work. I checked the fuse under the dash labeled radio, plus some other ones and they all seem fine.

I checked the wiring diagram for the car and I think these two parts share a relay but I'm not 100% or where to find said relay. I'm not very good with electronics or schematics so I was wondering if some of the more experienced members here can point me in the right direction.

Any input welcome!
Roto88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:39 AM   #2
P3tras

Drives: Subaru BRZ '13 WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
That is very odd... AUX wire has some extra harness, but USB from dash connects directly to radio - no fuses, relays and etc (unless they are inside the head-unit).
P3tras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:56 AM   #3
Guru Woodman

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport Tech CWP
On a side note, you frequency in your radio will be off too. In Europe they use even number frequencies like FM 106, NA has uneven, like FM 107. So you might want to swap your head unit anyway if you are planning on using that BRZ for a longer period of time. I think there are units that do all frequency ranges so you can keep it if you even decide to ship it back again.

Was shipping expensive? I have been thinking of doing an extended Europe Road trip and shipping instead of renting a car.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
Roto88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Woodman View Post
On a side note, you frequency in your radio will be off too. In Europe they use even number frequencies like FM 106, NA has uneven, like FM 107. So you might want to swap your head unit anyway if you are planning on using that BRZ for a longer period of time. I think there are units that do all frequency ranges so you can keep it if you even decide to ship it back again.

Was shipping expensive? I have been thinking of doing an extended Europe Road trip and shipping instead of renting a car.
I didn't pay it was free because im in the military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3tras View Post
That is very odd... AUX wire has some extra harness, but USB from dash connects directly to radio - no fuses, relays and etc (unless they are inside the head-unit).
It might be and internal relay or fuse because I havent been able to find any other problem. I will have to put in a claim with the legal office even though since the shipping company wont cove it even though the head unit worked fine when I dropped it off.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
or if you move to Australia, you have to turn the head unit upside down.........
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to White64Goat For This Useful Post:
ollie (11-17-2015), Trap63 (11-29-2015), Ultramaroon (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 07:52 AM   #6
P3tras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Woodman View Post
On a side note, you frequency in your radio will be off too. In Europe they use even number frequencies like FM 106, NA has uneven, like FM 107. So you might want to swap your head unit anyway if you are planning on using that BRZ for a longer period of time.
Pretty sure that stock headunit covers all frequency ranges. My BRZ was shipped from US to EU and stock head-unit played radio without any issues. But I changed it anyway
Old 11-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #7
Roto88

Took it to a local shop, all he did was check the fuses I had already checked and came to the same conclusion I did but didnt want to go any further because its a Subaru and he doesnt have the wiring diagrams for it.

So now I have to take it to a Subaru or Toyota dealer. I want to take it apart myself to see if there is power going to the unit but I need a repair estimate so i can file a claim to get my money back.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #8
ravisraval

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3tras View Post
Pretty sure that stock headunit covers all frequency ranges. My BRZ was shipped from US to EU and stock head-unit played radio without any issues. But I changed it anyway
Curious - how much did shipping cost?
ravisraval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #9
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravisraval View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto88 View Post
I didn't pay it was free because im in the military.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:05 PM   #10
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto88 View Post
Along the way the battery lost charge and it had to be jumped once, maybe more. The problem is that now the radio or the USB charge port don't work. I checked the fuse under the dash labeled radio, plus some other ones and they all seem fine.
As silly as this sounds, disconnect the battery for about a minute then hook it back up. It is possible that the drain and then the boost scrambled the radio enough it didn't power up but a straight up disconnect and reconnect may just do it. Long shot but worth a try.
Ultramaroon (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #11
86Tony

Drives: 2015 AOZORA EDITION
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
As silly as this sounds, disconnect the battery for about a minute then hook it back up. It is possible that the drain and then the boost scrambled the radio enough it didn't power up but a straight up disconnect and reconnect may just do it. Long shot but worth a try.
Def worth a try
86Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #12
SteveGrillo

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Good idea folks. This wouldn't surprise me at all.

Steve
SteveGrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:14 AM   #13
P3tras

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravisraval View Post
The boat was ~$1000 USD. But it was shipped in container with ~4 other cars and there was some damage from shipping. Side bellow doors was bent, I think they didn't lower forklift enough when trying to lift the car.

But for cars that are running fine, there is "roll on/off" shipping method. Basically your car is driven inside the boat instead of being "packed" in container. I would assume that damage is much less likely using such shipping method and it is slightly cheaper as well.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:28 AM   #14
ravisraval

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Wasn't directed at OP.

P3tras $1000 isn't too bad. I'm considering moving to Europe within the next few years, but I'm nervous about shipping damage.

Last edited by ravisraval; 11-17-2015 at 04:29 AM. Reason: added info
ravisraval is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ravisraval For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-17-2015)

Tags
radio, usb