follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2022, 09:16 AM   #1
lapsio

Drives: 2020 BRZ Final Edition, 1999 MX5 NB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Roof box without drilling?

Hi

Soon (maybe not so soon but around march) we're going with 3 friends (so 4 people in total) for big international convention that will take few days and we'll be getting here in BRZ bc I'm the only one with car and well this is my only car apart from MX5 which is even worse for this use case lol. I already had experience going on such holidays with 3 people in total and I know that BRZ was filled to the top including 4th seat space so I'm afraid we're not gonna make in terms of storage space for 4 people.

Thus I'm looking for some roof box that will allow us to take some additional clothes and stuff. Lightweight stuff. We'll most likely manage to get heavy stuff inside so I need box that will be able to carry like idk... 20kg? Maybe less. Basically we're probably missing around one airplane travel case so not much.

I tried getting hook and trailer but unfortunately BRZ does not have homologation for trailer hitch so they're illegal in EU. Hence roof box is my only option.

I don't want to drill holes in my roof since I live in really rainy climate and there's just no way it won't start to rust after few years so I'm looking for suction cup options. Anyone tried such thing with BRZ/GT86?

I've seen someone here posted link to SeaSucker:
https://seasucker.eu/collections/bes...s-2020-edition

I'm complete noob in terms of roof racks so I'm not sure if this kit would be all I need to get box on roof? Or would I need something else as well? Does any generic roof box fit such monkey bars? Are there some alternatives?

Last edited by lapsio; 10-02-2022 at 09:28 AM.
lapsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:13 AM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
4 people? Please don't. rear seats .. even for larger children are sometimes too small. I had driven with two grownup passengers in rear, but only for short distances, and everybody felt very uncomfortable. Even for those in front (as they had to move seats more forward, to gain at least slightly more room behind). Think of twins rear seats less of normal seats, as more like some padded door to boot, folding which allows to put some oversized stuff in car (eg. 4 track wheel set ), not proper seats. Any longer trip with more then just one passenger would be masochistic. Seating of four might be option for emergencies, but i wouldn't willingly consider that for longer trip (which it seems you'll have, judging by more cargo capacity you seek and few days mentioned).
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:07 AM   #3
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Garage
This use case is what vehicle rental companies are for.

If you rented an RV, you wouldn't need to book a room or unpack when you got there.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (10-03-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 11:16 AM   #4
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
I would rent a vehicle and split the cost 4 ways. Everyone's legs will thank you for it.

Otherwise at least 2 people are going to look like the soldier from Monty Python at the end of the trip!
Old 10-02-2022, 03:19 PM   #5
lapsio

Idk, I'm using back seats in BRZ quite regularly for 1 day trips with the same group of friends and it's pretty fine. Please consider we Europeans are smaller people in general. I'm like 5.5ft dwarf for example and some of my friends are even shorter so I don't even need to move my seat forward when someone sits behind me xD

It won't be that long trip - we're booking hotel for few days so it's not like we're going to spend all that much time in car. Probably only around 4h trip to the hotel including breaks and then another 4h going back. If we'd spend fewer days in hotel it would be no problem at all but since we're gonna stay here for a while everyone needs some clothes to change etc etc. That's why it's mostly problematic in terms of cargo space.

So like I said - we've been there, done that. It's fine. It's much bigger than my MX5 NB and I also never had issues with cargo space in MX5.

I think people are over dramatizing minor inconveniences...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lapsio For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (10-02-2022), x808drifter (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 04:48 AM   #6
lapsio

I ordered SeaSuckers monkey bars and we'll see how they work c:

I didn't expect them to ship to EU for free but apparently they do so it's quite nice. According to their YT channel it should be fine to drift and do track days with bike on them so it sounds like perfect fit for BRZ. I sure will verify that bold claim. I'll post pics once they arrive and once I'll borrow some roof box from someone.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:58 AM   #7
churchx

"I think people are over dramatizing minor inconveniences..."
Or i'm just sharing my (and that of passengers) experiences, when took relatively short trip of 20min drive with 3 grown up passengers in mine. It was not enjoyed by any of us. I don't want to imagine, how worse it may feel if it had been long drive for few hours.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-03-2022), Tcoat (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 07:52 AM   #8
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
"I think people are over dramatizing minor inconveniences..."
Or i'm just sharing my (and that of passengers) experiences, when took relatively short trip of 20min drive with 3 grown up passengers in mine. It was not enjoyed by any of us. I don't want to imagine, how worse it may feel if it had been long drive for few hours.
I wouldn't make anyone that either has legs or won't fit in a baby seat comfortably behind me.
I'm 5'11" and go all the way back to the last two notches on my seat.
Guess it's how long the drivers legs are?
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:31 PM   #9
churchx

I'm slightly over 6' (and so were most passengers) .. they banged head on rear window and relocated to top brake light, i (and front passenger) needed to move seats a lot to front and rise back of seats, my knees where awkwardly bent around steering wheel (which also was too close). Getting in/out also PITA. Certainly didn't enjoy any bit of that, hence why wouldn't resort to again unless emergency & absence of any alternative. Rented "normal sized" vehicle with shared expenses much better option for OP situation imho.
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 06:54 PM   #10
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
hey we did a 4 man trip with our twin on 3 occasions, including one long ass drive from AZ to ID. sure not the most comfortable but totally doable if yall in good shape and no one is really above 6'. fortunately we had everything we needed in the trunk so didn't have to bother with extra storage..
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
lapsio (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 07:23 PM   #11
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i got a 4-door truck for people carrying duties. that way i don't have to cut someone's legs off so i can still use my clutch.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:41 PM   #12
lapsio

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i got a 4-door truck for people carrying duties. that way i don't have to cut someone's legs off so i can still use my clutch.
Yeah well in US cars are in general bigger. Here we don't really use pickup trucks at all. Like I can't even remember last time I've seen one. I was working at my previous job back when I did so like 5 years ago? And it was imported from US. Here people usually use cars like Ford Fiesta as family cars capable of carrying 5 people during longer trips. Before BRZ I used to have Opel Astra H GTC which also was considered "family car".

So yeah well BRZ is indeed still considered small car here but probably not as small as it may seem to be comparing to average US vehicle standards After all when I was a child my parents had Fiat 126p...

Btw out of curiosity I just looked up rental cars and available ones for "4 adults, 3 bags" are vehicles like: Opel Corsa, VW Up!, VW Polo, Toyota Yaris... So sure they are bigger and more comfortable in back seats than BRZ but it doesn't look like night and day difference. Also those still don't really solve cargo problem, maybe even make it worse so kinda crappy deal ngl Ofc we could rent "large" class car like VW Jetta or Octavia but kinda wanted to point out how standards differ around globe - and it's not even Japan with their Kei cars.

So I'm sure we're gonna be fine

I'm just a little bit worried about BRZ roof rigidity and max allowed box weight. I've seen some people here reported permanently dent and damaged roofs after using non-drilled roof racks. So fingers crossed...

Last edited by lapsio; 10-03-2022 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 04:01 AM   #13
CedN

Drives: 2013 GT86 fully standard
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hehe, always a never ending discussion, because it always depends on so many things, how big you are, how much you are ready to compromise etc. A yaris and up has tiny luggage spaces aswell, not really much bigger, but easier to fit the people. Im short, like 1,75m and would probably not try to fit someone grown behind me for any distance, the driving position gets so compromised, though we do run 2 adults+2 kids from time to to time. But i mean if you lived with a 126p the 86 is actually pretty roomy

I attach a picture on an 86 that someone found at a Toyota dealer, it seems like they fitted the biggest box they could find.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2022, 07:45 AM   #14
lapsio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedN View Post
I attach a picture on an 86 that someone found at a Toyota dealer, it seems like they fitted the biggest box they could find.
Tbh I also considered just getting biggest box I can find that's why I'm a bit concerned about roof rigidity I'll be looking for tallest box in case I'd like to put there something round so I'll be looking for probably 45+ cm high but most of those are unfortunately like 450L xl boxes xD (couldn't find many high and short boxes) So I think it's gonna require some extra precautions.

For now I'm considering Thule XT XXL