follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 02-21-2020, 10:18 PM   #1
alenknight

Drives: Red 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New tires - replacing?

so I just got a 2017 BRZ manual.
the car came with 2 tires 215/45/17
back tires are Michelin Primacy HP - and the tread is ... well they need to be replaced soon....

front tires are iMove Gen 2 AS

when I did a tire rotation... mannnnn it felt like I was hydroplaning. I live in Vegas... and on the highway.... with like 70 degree weather. horrible.

switched the tires back to original position (michelin in back)... and things are good again...

i'm DEF not a fan of these iMove tires... unless someone got any ideas what i'm misunderstanding?
I really hope it's not that Michelin tires are just that bad. based on cost, my bet is that it's these imove tires that are junk

so i'm thinking to move to some new tires... and michelin's are a bit pricey... replacing all 4 (since old ones are almost gone)... it'd be like $900....

would it be worth it over something like the BFG Sport Comp-2? I can get them for like $500.... almost half the cost... and I see good reviews on them.....

any opinions?
alenknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:39 PM   #2
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alenknight View Post

would it be worth it over something like the BFG Sport Comp-2? I can get them for like $500.... almost half the cost... and I see good reviews on them.....

any opinions?
im on bfg sport comp 2 uhp summers (not tha a/s) in 225/40 on 18x8 for my summer set up and they are rock solid great, did a track day with them and everything. if i were to buy tires again id prob go for indy 500 because theyre cheaper and i dont really care about tires all that much. im probably buying used tires from the fb market next, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. i bought my winter rubber like new from the fb market, great tires, 50% price, dunlop winter maxx.
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:53 PM   #3
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i run the bfg sport comp 2 a/s due to living in the midwest, so i can still drive the car in cold temps (summer tires aren't supposed to be driven on under 45 degrees).

no major complaints. they complain less than the oem tires, they grip slightly more, but not enough to not have a little fun from time to time, and remain relatively predictable.

i'm curious to try the indy 500's next, as many have spoken very positively of them.
why? (02-23-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 12:09 AM   #4
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
4 mid priced matched tires > 2 crap tires and 2 worn tires

Indy's are decent, better than any all season but not as good as any of the other more reputable tires.

Check for locals selling their lightly used oe tires, might even get a bonus set of wheels for $400. Just tires can go for $200 with just a few thousand miles and my primacys lasted me like 30k miles and two track days.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
why? (02-23-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
alenknight

Drives: Red 2017 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
4 mid priced matched tires > 2 crap tires and 2 worn tires

Indy's are decent, better than any all season but not as good as any of the other more reputable tires.

Check for locals selling their lightly used oe tires, might even get a bonus set of wheels for $400. Just tires can go for $200 with just a few thousand miles and my primacys lasted me like 30k miles and two track days.
thanks ! that helps a lot...
so basically
1- my biggest issue is i'm driving crap and worn tires...
2- anything decent in a set of 4 will be better
3- yeah the primacy's are great... but indy's or BFG 's would be pretty good too if I wanna save a buck...
4- the lower cost indy's or bfg's in 4x will be a massive improvement either way.

so yeah... i'll take a look at changing out the tires. thanks everyone!
alenknight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alenknight For This Useful Post:
HaXx (02-22-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 10:44 PM   #6
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Another band for the buck is Hankook Ventus V2 Concept.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #7
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
thanks ! that helps a lot...
so basically
1- my biggest issue is i'm driving crap and worn tires...
2- anything decent in a set of 4 will be better
3- yeah the primacy's are great... but indy's or BFG 's would be pretty good too if I wanna save a buck...
4- the lower cost indy's or bfg's in 4x will be a massive improvement either way.

so yeah... i'll take a look at changing out the tires. thanks everyone!
Primacy tires are crap.
You on crap all season tires and worn crap touring summer tires.
Any decent new tire will be an improvement. Especially if they are summer tires.
Indy 500s are pretty much same price as bfg but get better ratings across the board. They will be a massive improvement to what you have. You won’t know what to do with all the new found grip.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #8
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
@alenknight
Possible deal if you want to be cheaper.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139090
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #9
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Be sure to bring the car to a reputable alignment shop and have that done at the same time as the tires, too.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:56 PM   #10
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Garage
Second the Hankook ventus v2. Tons of grip and lasted very long, like 40k miles. Only drawback is the feel and steering is not great due to soft sidewall.

Running the Continental extreme contact sports now. Have about the grip of the Hankook ventus 2 but with a stiffer sidewall so feels better. I'm only 10k miles in so cant speak to lifespan but grip is still great.
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:59 PM   #11
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
so I just got a 2017 BRZ manual.
the car came with 2 tires 215/45/17
back tires are Michelin Primacy HP - and the tread is ... well they need to be replaced soon....

front tires are iMove Gen 2 AS

when I did a tire rotation... mannnnn it felt like I was hydroplaning. I live in Vegas... and on the highway.... with like 70 degree weather. horrible.

switched the tires back to original position (michelin in back)... and things are good again...

i'm DEF not a fan of these iMove tires... unless someone got any ideas what i'm misunderstanding?
I really hope it's not that Michelin tires are just that bad. based on cost, my bet is that it's these imove tires that are junk

so i'm thinking to move to some new tires... and michelin's are a bit pricey... replacing all 4 (since old ones are almost gone)... it'd be like $900....

any opinions?

Whichever you decide to do, I say just get 4 of the same tires. I just replaced 2 tires last time I had a puncture and the car has felt unbalanced since.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:41 PM   #12
BlueWhelan

Drives: 2013 Blue Subaru BRZ. 6 Spd manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhayes1 View Post
Second the Hankook ventus v2. Tons of grip and lasted very long, like 40k miles. Only drawback is the feel and steering is not great due to soft sidewall.

Running the Continental extreme contact sports now. Have about the grip of the Hankook ventus 2 but with a stiffer sidewall so feels better. I'm only 10k miles in so cant speak to lifespan but grip is still great.

I had both tires as well. I’d put the xtreme contacts ahead of the v2s by a wide margin. I got about 25k out of my set, with 4 autoXs as well. Grip is only a bit off from the supersports (more than can be said for the v2s), and they are very talkative with good feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BlueWhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueWhelan For This Useful Post:
venturaII (02-28-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 07:57 AM   #13
Mball19

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD/SE
I bought a set of wheels that came with Pirelli PZero Nero GT. I have been happy with them so far. Good grip in the wet and drive. I think they are quieter than the stock Michelins. I have also driven on them at 6 degrees F with no issues or noticeable drop in performance.
Mball19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires