follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2022, 03:59 PM   #1
suppjc

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TPMS battery replacement?

Hey guys,

I'm about to switch my original primacy hp to something else as the tires are worn and aged (second owner, they should be original tires). Something like Bridgestone Potenza Sports is being considered now.

While changing my tires, I was wondering if I can replace the battery for the tpms sensors. I've looked up the forum but cannot find anything mentioning the battery. It's 2015 model, so I thought I might as well replace the battery too. I was hoping to bring the battery to the tire shop myself and try to avoid extra fee for replacing tpms battery by themselves (if it's a thing).

Thanks!
suppjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:39 PM   #2
markitect

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Most tire shops will charge you for a TPMS kit, which includes new O-ring, and battery. I had mine done recently so I can see if they put a PN on my invoice.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to markitect For This Useful Post:
suppjc (04-06-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 06:15 PM   #3
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
No. The OEM TMPS are completely sealed.

If it runs out of battery, you need to buy a whole new TPMS unit. Maybe some aftermarket TPMS have replaceable batteries, but it's unlikely
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
saltywetman (04-06-2022), suppjc (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 06:41 AM   #4
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I never knew tpms batteries are replaceable either. I thought they were sealed and sensors have to be replace once the juice runs out.

Looking at youtube how to videos on replacing the batteries they all seem to be home hack jobs rather than something a shop would do. Would probably get charged more for labor to replace those batteries than replacing the entire sensor depending on how much they charge you for the battery. You would def need more than just a battery and o ring as you have to scrape out all that filler stuff and reapply if after your manage to swap out the battery
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saltywetman For This Useful Post:
suppjc (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 11:21 AM   #5
suppjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by markitect View Post
Most tire shops will charge you for a TPMS kit, which includes new O-ring, and battery. I had mine done recently so I can see if they put a PN on my invoice.
I was looking at tires at Costco and they said they will charge a few bucks extra for tpms. Wasn't too sure if they do it correctly or just another way for them to rip off a few bucks tbh.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2022, 11:22 AM   #6
suppjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
No. The OEM TMPS are completely sealed.

If it runs out of battery, you need to buy a whole new TPMS unit. Maybe some aftermarket TPMS have replaceable batteries, but it's unlikely
That's probably why I couldn't find any post about changing the battery or general care and stuff? I might just need to stick to the original one until they die.

Thank you.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:23 AM   #7
suppjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltywetman View Post
I never knew tpms batteries are replaceable either. I thought they were sealed and sensors have to be replace once the juice runs out.

Looking at youtube how to videos on replacing the batteries they all seem to be home hack jobs rather than something a shop would do. Would probably get charged more for labor to replace those batteries than replacing the entire sensor depending on how much they charge you for the battery. You would def need more than just a battery and o ring as you have to scrape out all that filler stuff and reapply if after your manage to swap out the battery
TBH I'm ignorant in tpms and just assumed I would need to change the battery at one point. Didn't know anything about the seals either. Might just hang on to the current one until they die.

Thank you!
Old 04-06-2022, 10:37 PM   #8
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Garage
You are probably good for at least another 3-5 years on your current set. Wait till your next tire purchase.
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2020BRZtS For This Useful Post:
suppjc (04-06-2022)