follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-26-2020, 05:48 AM   #1
TokyoDrift

Drives: 2018 BRZ|Edelbrock E-Force E85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Cold Air Intake on Edelbrock Supercharger for extra whine

Hi guys,

I have a 2018 Subaru BRZ with an Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, Remark muffler delete, and ST coilovers. I got installed a while back. I am loving the additional power coming from the car, but I am dying for a loud whine from the supercharger. People have recommended me to get a cold air intake to increase the whining noise. Can anyone recommend an intake that would be compatible with my supercharger? Also, does the supercharger allow for these aftermarket intakes to be installed? I have been eyeing the Perrin CAI for a while but I am unsure what to buy because I'm scared it won't fit my car. Hopefully, some of you more experienced BRZ/FRS owners can tell me. Please if you have any advice on how I can increase the whine in this car let me know.

Thank you for your guys' time!

Last edited by TokyoDrift; 03-26-2020 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Didn’t feel right with my initial wording of what I wrote.
TokyoDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #2
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I would suggest you post this in the Edelbrock thread but the lack of whine is a good thing.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:12 PM   #3
shr133

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I don't think anyone make an intake for the Edelbrock... It still won't whine it's just too quite, that's the way it is.... Stealth mod...
Enkei TS9 18 X 8, Michelin Sport 4S 225 40 18, Flex Fuel, Edelbrock Supercharger, P & L header, Nameless front pipe, V1 cat back, Aluminum Driveshaft, pvc delete, med duck bill, KW V3, Whiteline 20 and 18 mm bars, Buddy Club and SPL control arms, Toe Arms, motor and trans mounts, Whiteline bushings, SHR stage II tune.
shr133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:38 PM   #4
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Cold Air Intake on Edelbrock Supercharger for extra whine

The new TVS blowers don’t whine. There’s no way to make them louder because they don’t whine to begin with. The only SC for this car that whines is Sprintex.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:03 PM   #5
TripleTapHK

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Series Hyper-Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDrift View Post
People have recommended me to get a cold air intake to increase the whining noise.!
The Edelbrock intake is a cold air intake. In fact, the stock intake is also a cold air intake. The blower in these kits just don't make much noise and that's a good thing. It's more efficient. Changing the intake will not add sound that isn't there to begin with.

That being said, I am looking into different intake options just because I find the Edelbrock intake to be poorly designed from a maintenance and usability perspective. 8 bolts and washers, multiple worm gear clamps, and and a bunch of finagling just to clean out my air filter. I drive a decent amount of gravel roads so it gets dusty pretty quick.
TripleTapHK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TripleTapHK For This Useful Post:
dpfarr (07-11-2023)
Old 06-06-2022, 07:50 AM   #6
GPhilly

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ (Edelbrock SC)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTapHK View Post
The Edelbrock intake is a cold air intake. In fact, the stock intake is also a cold air intake. The blower in these kits just don't make much noise and that's a good thing. It's more efficient. Changing the intake will not add sound that isn't there to begin with.

That being said, I am looking into different intake options just because I find the Edelbrock intake to be poorly designed from a maintenance and usability perspective. 8 bolts and washers, multiple worm gear clamps, and and a bunch of finagling just to clean out my air filter. I drive a decent amount of gravel roads so it gets dusty pretty quick.
Did you find a solution to this? I installed my Edelbrock kit this past weekend and the socket head screws do not fit into the airbox. I have to use my hand to clamp the airbox (really hard!) together just to locate the thread. The fitment sucks, either its the supplied K&N filter or the way the airbox is molded, it doesn't fit together like all the tutorials/instructions. I not sure if its bad to not put all the screws in, because the plastic is literally warping...
GPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:21 PM   #7
apatel471

Drives: 2017 World Rally Blue BRZ
I had the same issue with mine and they ended up sending me an entirely new airbox since the original one was so misaligned and warped, but even with the new one, I had to really force the hardware into place. Although, It has been a year, and no issues with anything though.
apatel471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 05:18 PM   #8
bokehmon

Drives: 2014 DMG BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apatel471 View Post
I had the same issue with mine and they ended up sending me an entirely new airbox since the original one was so misaligned and warped, but even with the new one, I had to really force the hardware into place. Although, It has been a year, and no issues with anything though.
The sealing grease is also very susceptible to pushing out of the little air filter channel and getting into the intake. i've cleaned my MAF 3-4 times at this point, and finally took the intake apart... it was definitely flinging grease into the intake and on the maf as it got hot.
bokehmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 05:50 PM   #9
Muskoka800

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Release Series 2#439
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokehmon View Post
The sealing grease is also very susceptible to pushing out of the little air filter channel and getting into the intake. i've cleaned my MAF 3-4 times at this point, and finally took the intake apart... it was definitely flinging grease into the intake and on the maf as it got hot.
You must have an early version of the kit. Edelbrock have since deleted the sealing grease from the air box process. I agree that those 8 nice stainless Allen caps crews are an issue as they are too short for easy installation. I simply went to a local industrial supply and purchased 8 (+2 spares) stainless hex bolts a few millimeter longer plus matching small flat washers. Boom! Problem solved for under $10.
235F/245R Conti ECS on TRD/Enkei wheels (street),
245/40 sq. A052 on 17x8 720Form GTF2 wheels (track)
Muskoka800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 04:14 PM   #10
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Whine = less efficiency.
CSG Mike (07-10-2023)

Tags
cold air intake, noise, supercharger, whine