follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #1
Rifle
EX-86 Supercharged God

Drives: '16 Series.HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Basic Noob Questions - Camber bolts/alignment/etc

Hi all,

I have what I feel to be a silly question, but since I know very little about suspension stuff, I'd rather ask then be sorry later.

I just bought a set of cheap coils, Tein Street Basis. I plan to drop the car more for aesthetics than for 'performance', however, I'm not slamming the car. I still need it to be a DD and survive the roads.

So I'm figuring like a 1.75in-2in drop, we will see when I put them on.

Currently on 17x9 + 35s w/ 255/40s.

My question(s) are as followed:

What are camber bolts? What are they used for? Are they necessary for the drop I'm looking at. I'm not looking to stance the car, I would prefer to have the least amount of camber.

Put the coils on, adjust to the height I want, raise it a bit, then hope it settles to where I need to?

How long after the coils should I get an alignment? 500 miles?

And if you guys have any other tips and/or recommendations to do, feel free to add them.

I'm not looking to do LCAs or end links/toe arms yet, as I don't plan to track the car and don't run it very hard.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
1.75"-2" drop is not exactly mild drop. Imho it may require lot of other suspension changes/upgrades.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
There's no way to adjust camber in the rear, and with how the rear (double wishbone) suspension works on these cars, you see more negative camber as the car is lowered. What this means is that if you don't do camber bushings or lower control arms, you're going to see unnecessary negative rear camber after a 2 inch drop.

Camber bolts are for the front, because the front is a MacPherson setup and will not gain really any camber upon lowering. There's also no way to adjust front camber from the factory, and camber bolts or crash bolts let you adjust it a little bit. The factory camber setting is close to 0, which is suboptimal. 0 camber is not good. You want a little bit of negative camber. Cars have to turn, and negative camber is important for grip during cornering.

Generally speaking, around -1 to -2 up front, with around -1 in the rear is about the right place to start when thinking about performance alignments on street cars. More aggressive driving situations will likely require even more negative camber. Anything more than -3 will start to wear tires unevenly. Generally speaking, more negative rear camber than negative front camber will lead to understeer.

You want to also be cognizant of toe changes, and lowering will likely affect toe. You don't really need any toe on these cars. You might need a little rear toe in, if you go forced induction later on just to keep things more stable at speed. Toe's also what wears tires the fastest.

For the drop you're aiming for, you should get rear lower control arms AND camber bolts.

Less than an inch is a mild drop, and will not necessarily require camber adjustment in the rear, unless if you're anal about it. You should still do camber bolts to keep things balanced, regardless. You're changing the suspension geometry when you lower the car, and you're going to have to correct it, unless if you're okay with it being worse or weirder than stock.

I'd get an alignment right away; if not on the same day, within the week. If you don't want to deal with lower control arms, then you might be better served starting at an inch of lowering and see if you like the way it performs at that height, and seeing how much negative camber you have in the rear vs. the front.

Or if you don't care about understeer, oversteer, or geometry; just slam it, zero out the toe as much as you can, and call it a day.

tl;dr version: there's no factory camber adjustment, and lowering will increase negative rear camber. Camber bolts and lower control arms can be used to bring the front and rear camber, respectively, to acceptable/optimal ranges. Get an alignment, ASAP.

Also, good reading:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67345
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
15limited (10-25-2015), BigFatFlip (11-05-2015), Rifle (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 01:00 AM   #4
Rifle
EX-86 Supercharged God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
There's no way to adjust camber in the rear, and with how the rear (double wishbone) suspension works on these cars, you see more negative camber as the car is lowered. What this means is that if you don't do camber bushings or lower control arms, you're going to see unnecessary negative rear camber after a 2 inch drop.

Camber bolts are for the front, because the front is a MacPherson setup and will not gain really any camber upon lowering. There's also no way to adjust front camber from the factory, and camber bolts or crash bolts let you adjust it a little bit. The factory camber setting is close to 0, which is suboptimal. 0 camber is not good. You want a little bit of negative camber. Cars have to turn, and negative camber is important for grip during cornering.

Generally speaking, around -1 to -2 up front, with around -1 in the rear is about the right place to start when thinking about performance alignments on street cars. More aggressive driving situations will likely require even more negative camber. Anything more than -3 will start to wear tires unevenly. Generally speaking, more negative rear camber than negative front camber will lead to understeer.

You want to also be cognizant of toe changes, and lowering will likely affect toe. You don't really need any toe on these cars. You might need a little rear toe in, if you go forced induction later on just to keep things more stable at speed. Toe's also what wears tires the fastest.

For the drop you're aiming for, you should get rear lower control arms AND camber bolts.

Less than an inch is a mild drop, and will not necessarily require camber adjustment in the rear, unless if you're anal about it. You should still do camber bolts to keep things balanced, regardless. You're changing the suspension geometry when you lower the car, and you're going to have to correct it, unless if you're okay with it being worse or weirder than stock.

I'd get an alignment right away; if not on the same day, within the week. If you don't want to deal with lower control arms, then you might be better served starting at an inch of lowering and see if you like the way it performs at that height, and seeing how much negative camber you have in the rear vs. the front.

Or if you don't care about understeer, oversteer, or geometry; just slam it, zero out the toe as much as you can, and call it a day.

tl;dr version: there's no factory camber adjustment, and lowering will increase negative rear camber. Camber bolts and lower control arms can be used to bring the front and rear camber, respectively, to acceptable/optimal ranges. Get an alignment, ASAP.

Also, good reading:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67345
Appreciate it. Bit new to the whole suspension game. Never dabbled in it before. Do I make the adjustments to camber/etc? Or does a shop generally do that during alignment.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:53 AM   #5
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifle View Post
Appreciate it. Bit new to the whole suspension game. Never dabbled in it before. Do I make the adjustments to camber/etc? Or does a shop generally do that during alignment.
Typically, the aligned shop will do the adjustments for you.
@jawn pretty much nailed on the head . If you are planning to install the camber bolts yourself, just try to set them similarly side to side (just bottom them out/max negative camber), the shop can then even them out when you get your alignment.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
Rifle
EX-86 Supercharged God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Typically, the aligned shop will do the adjustments for you.
@jawn pretty much nailed on the head . If you are planning to install the camber bolts yourself, just try to set them similarly side to side (just bottom them out/max negative camber), the shop can then even them out when you get your alignment.

So which bolts do I buy? After some reading, it appears the top bolt is a 16MM and the lower is a 14MM. If I'm trying to dial in camber in the front, which one should I buy? (or both?). Also, I'm just going to try and max out stock LCAs - for now. It's been done, I'll just have to figure out the drop required to do so.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
@jawn damn that's a lot of text and a lot of good info.
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #8
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post

About an inch should put you in at around -2 degrees of rear camber, which is the upper limit of what I would want since the camber bolts up front will max out at around -2 degrees. Ideally, I'd like more front camber than rear, but if you can't adjust it, you do what you can.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #9
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifle View Post
So which bolts do I buy? After some reading, it appears the top bolt is a 16MM and the lower is a 14MM. If I'm trying to dial in camber in the front, which one should I buy? (or both?).
I'm also interested. I have the 16mm top bolts installed with max camber (maybe 1 degree) If i'm looking for any more should I have to invest in some new top hats or go with bottom bolts. Trying to run some 18x9.5 +34 without it hitting the stock struts on tein lowering springs.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
Rifle (10-28-2015)