follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
Deepmist

Drives: Honda Prelude
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The mechanic said he didn't think enough water could get in to matter and I should add some heet to remove the water. Now I can't decide what to do, geez.
Deepmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sorry buddy but this is just too much,

I haven't personally experienced it but I understand most cars will let you know when your gas door is open now a days...Even OBD2 would throw a check engine light....

your only saving grace is there are 2 gas tanks in the car and only the side that gets fed by the filler nozzle should be contaminated. there is a pump that moves the gas from this side to the other...assumedly based on pressure differential, either way you only need to pump out half the gas...

Now quit thinking about it and do it, you need hand tools a bucket and a garden hose....an avacado and a snorkel...
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepmist View Post
The mechanic said he didn't think enough water could get in to matter and I should add some heet to remove the water. Now I can't decide what to do, geez.
I was going to suggest Heet. Honestly, I doubt you had much water get in there. The opening is small, it's on an angle, and it's not like it's in a water channel. Unless you had a foot of rain fall sideways, I think Heet will take care of anything that managed to get in there.

If it's not a full tank of gas, fill up to make sure you have as high a gas:water ratio as possible.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #18
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Your mechanic told you to heat your gas tank to get rid of the water!?

You need a new mechanic and you will need to film your endeavor to add heat to gas+water. My guess? You'll catch yourself on fire and upload video to youtube for our enjoyment.

I know you said Heet, as in the product, but still too good of an opportunity to pass up.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #19
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
Your mechanic told you to heat your gas tank to get rid of the water!?

You need a new mechanic and you will need to film your endeavor to add heat to gas+water. My guess? You'll catch yourself on fire and upload video to youtube for our enjoyment.
Oops. You can't edit now.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #20
infinite012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtchocla7e View Post
Oops. You can't edit now.
Dernit.

Edit: the edit worked anyways (see below). :P

Edit edit: the post below mine was deleted nooooooo

Last edited by infinite012; 05-07-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #21
Deepmist

Just in case anyone runs into this post I've called about 10 Toyotas now and pretty much all of them said it should be fine but if I want to be really cautious I can tow it in, though draining the tank through a mechanic can be really expensive. I think I'm going to add some heet and drive it, I'll stop if I hear anything weird.

I'll let you know if my car blows up and I hate myself forever later.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #22
CamryDS

Drives: 2003 Camry Blue | 2013 FR-S White
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I know it's a stupid mistake, I feel like an idiot, but wow this forum can be pretty unfriendly.

Thanks for the response Surakusa. As for the logistics of emptying a full tank of gas, I'm not sure I have the tools or storage to do it so I guess I'm probably going to have it towed if the mechanic says something similar. What a nightmare.
There are some people who make it really unfriendly, but I can say that 90% of the majority is pretty nice.

I just had a question, how did you forget to recap your gas cap onto your car? How did you also not close the gas door? I'm curious at what scenario would cause you to do that. Not knockin you, but just wanted to know.
CamryDS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CamryDS For This Useful Post:
official_george (05-08-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #23
infinite012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryDS View Post
There are some people who make it really unfriendly, but I can say that 90% of the majority is pretty nice.

I just had a question, how did you forget to recap your gas cap onto your car? How did you also not close the gas door? I'm curious at what scenario would cause you to do that. Not knockin you, but just wanted to know.
To be fair, I did this before, too. Driving home after a 10 hour shift from 630am-5pm, stopping off at the gas station to fill up and just zoning out. I'm surprised I didn't leave with the damn nozzle still inside the filler.

But then I capped it when the CEL came on.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #24
Deepmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryDS View Post

It was the end of a long day at work, really tired and hungry. I was in the middle of washing my windshield when the gas finished. Put the nozzle back, finished washing my windshield and drove away. Just totally absent minded. This has me in such a panic I imagine I'm going have major OCD for the rest of my life and check it every time I get in my car.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #25
CamryDS

Drives: 2003 Camry Blue | 2013 FR-S White
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
To be fair, I did this before, too. Driving home after a 10 hour shift from 630am-5pm, stopping off at the gas station to fill up and just zoning out. I'm surprised I didn't leave with the damn nozzle still inside the filler.

But then I capped it when the CEL came on.
Quote:
It was the end of a long day at work, really tired and hungry. I was in the middle of washing my windshield when the gas finished. Put the nozzle back, finished washing my windshield and drove away. Just totally absent minded. This has me in such a panic I imagine I'm going have major OCD for the rest of my life and check it every time I get in my car.

No worries, I know how that can happen. Fatigue, how art the soulless bitch!

Sorry to hear that happen though. I can understand if you're exhausted as hell, nothing around you matters between you and sleep. Hopefully next time getting gas won't happen when you're tired.

Thanks for answering me.
CamryDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #26
eljefe

Drives: SS BRZ LMTD 6MT, 92 Civic hatch RHD
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
if your car is under warranty, then run it. If it blows, drain the tank and take it in.
eljefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #27
Walla Walla
Hicas Thread Basher

Drives: Subaru BRZ 13, Hyundai Genesis 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
also, you could try this, wich should work in your case if only a small amount of water went in... http://www.valvoline.ca/products/con...water-remover/

it already helped me to start a 94 altima, after a long winter with almost no gas in the tank...

but still... we're talking about a brand new car right now....
Walla Walla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #28
Surakusa
Mechanical Guru

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Argento) M/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
For those wondering how someone could do this? Just remember... Some people actually drive off with the pump nozzle still in the car. :P

We all make mistakes, the first car I ever owned had a fuel cap not attached to the car and I left it on top of my car and drove off with the gas hatch open and I lost the gas cap. I had to buy another one. :P
Surakusa is offline   Reply With Quote