follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #141
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
@nikitopo

Okay I finally found the diagram which I saw many years ago on the web:

Well you can call it progress in terms of a supposedly cost savings exercise, but not progress in the traditional sense (I mean come'on let's face it; the dude at Das Auto who actually came up with this got canned soon after it was implemented lmao).
This demonstrates where people are getting all bent outta shape on the use of the term "platform". They are still envisioning it as the literal use of a base that only certain bodies can go on and can only use the same type of drivetrain. The new Subaru global "platform" is much more like the VW Toolkit set up than the first "platform" shown in the picture. They just continue to use the same term even though the application is radically different. The manufacturing benefits to this method are massive.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #142
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This demonstrates where people are getting all bent outta shape on the use of the term "platform". They are still envisioning it as the literal use of a base that only certain bodies can go on and can only use the same type of drivetrain. The new Subaru global "platform" is much more like the VW Toolkit set up than the first "platform" shown in the picture. They just continue to use the same term even though the application is radically different. The manufacturing benefits to this method are massive.
Subaru has pictures of the "platform", and it sure doesn't look like the toolkit approach. 4 wheel drive is built into the platform and is not an option. That alone makes it inappropriate for the Twins. My guess is that they will keep the current Twins platform and work on making it look more modern and be an inch or two lower. That is the only plan that makes any sense for a low production vehicle selling at a reasonable price. They will also probably use lighter weight materials. Their only real competition in the states is the MX-5. The more upscale they make it, the more they will compete with "sporty coupes" and they will lose quickly if that is their approach. And if they go in that direction, I'm not sure any aftermarket turbos will fit unless they go with hood bulges like the Corvette.
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #143
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
Subaru has pictures of the "platform", and it sure doesn't look like the toolkit approach. 4 wheel drive is built into the platform and is not an option. That alone makes it inappropriate for the Twins. My guess is that they will keep the current Twins platform and work on making it look more modern and be an inch or two lower. That is the only plan that makes any sense for a low production vehicle selling at a reasonable price. They will also probably use lighter weight materials. Their only real competition in the states is the MX-5. The more upscale they make it, the more they will compete with "sporty coupes" and they will lose quickly if that is their approach. And if they go in that direction, I'm not sure any aftermarket turbos will fit unless they go with hood bulges like the Corvette.
That sentence should never ever be used when describing automotive manufacturing!

The platform is not restricted to AWD it isn't even restricted to gas powered engines. It is designed to do everything they need it to do. If it can be used for a compact hatchback it can be used for a RWD coupe. How is this concept so hard for people to grasp?

"Flexible — without all the flexing"

"The Subaru Global Platform is so named because it can be adapted to the requirements for everything from a compact hatchback to a 7-seater SUV. This level of flexibility has many benefits to the Subaru customer and to the environment. Existing Subaru factories around the world can be quickly turned over to produce different models according to what types of vehicles customers want and need. In addition, this revolutionary design can be modified to accept a variety of powertrains; ranging from our current gasoline SUBARU BOXER engines to future alternate powertrains down the road. The result: a truly flexible and environmentally friendly way to meet the needs of drivers for years to come."
fatoni (04-23-2018), why? (04-24-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #144
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
It is like trying to fit everything in a single bag. Some will have to remember how the BRZ platform evoluted from the Impreza platform and achieved a better weight distribution and lower cog, because it had a specialized engine and the advantage of not using an AWD drivetrain:

nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
rvoll (04-23-2018), SkyeHack (04-23-2018), WolfpackS2k (04-24-2018), yurikaze (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #145
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
It is like trying to fit everything in a single bag.
Think of it more as putting the same contents in a different bag(s).

The image a page ago is misleading and simplified.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 02:33 PM   #146
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post

My point was that the BRZ doesn't fit very well with the global platform. It was more about specialization and not like taking an existing engine and changing a bit the design to be a coupe (i.e. just being shorter than the sedan wrx) and so on.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
rvoll (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 02:36 PM   #147
HachiRokuX

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA View Post
I actually want this. Give the option for a good interior and more power from the factory.

Edit: Wait, I just described a Lexus RC..
HachiRokuX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HachiRokuX For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 02:40 PM   #148
Tcoat

Quote:

More like putting similar contents in the same bag but that bag is made of stretchy material that can hold a single apple or a watermelon equally well.

Yes that image is very deceiving since it supports the myth that a "platform" means a prefabbed base that everything just bolts on top of.
NoHaveMSG (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 02:46 PM   #149
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
My point was that the BRZ doesn't fit very well with the global platform. It was more about specialization and not like taking an existing engine and changing a bit the design to be a coupe (i.e. just being shorter than the sedan wrx) and so on.
Yes I agree to a point. Subaru and Toyota's collaboration on this will also always be a hindrance to Subaru if they are trying to conform it to their global platform.

As long as the heritage of the car continues I will be happy. I don't foresee selling mine anyway even for a significantly updated version.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (04-23-2018), rvoll (04-23-2018), Tcoat (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #150
Tcoat

Quote:
Yes I agree to a point. Subaru and Toyota's collaboration on this will also always be a hindrance to Subaru if they are trying to conform it to their global platform.

As long as the heritage of the car continues I will be happy. I don't foresee selling mine anyway even for a significantly updated version.
Yes. The only reason that the whole Global Platform discussion came up was the people speculating that Toyota would drop the model and Subaru would carry on alone. If that happens than any resulting car would probably be a BRZ in name only. As long as Toyota keeps their finger in it then massive changes are not as likely.
NoHaveMSG (04-23-2018), rvoll (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #151
rvoll

Quote:
The platform is not restricted to AWD it isn't even restricted to gas powered engines. It is designed to do everything they need it to do. If it can be used for a compact hatchback it can be used for a RWD coupe. How is this concept so hard for people to grasp?

"Flexible — without all the flexing"

"The Subaru Global Platform is so named because it can be adapted to the requirements for everything from a compact hatchback to a 7-seater SUV. This level of flexibility has many benefits to the Subaru customer and to the environment. Existing Subaru factories around the world can be quickly turned over to produce different models according to what types of vehicles customers want and need. In addition, this revolutionary design can be modified to accept a variety of powertrains; ranging from our current gasoline SUBARU BOXER engines to future alternate powertrains down the road. The result: a truly flexible and environmentally friendly way to meet the needs of drivers for years to come."
Actually, it is restricted to 4 wheel drive according to the Subaru specification. You should read more carefully. In addition, they have pictures of the basic platform and you'll see that it is "hard coded" into a 4WD format. Take a look at the frame structure and mounting points.

That said, the BRZ is a joint project with Toyota and I doubt if Toyota would approve of the inherent weaknesses of the global platform for a sports car. The proportions of the global platform are all wrong for a car as low as the BRZ. If you don't have any engineering experience, have an engineer look at the picture and then tell me how they could possibly get a RWD only low car out of that platform.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #152
rvoll

Quote:
Yes that image is very deceiving since it supports the myth that a "platform" means a prefabbed base that everything just bolts on top of.
Looking at the picture of the "myth" that Subaru presents, they are talking primarily about a base that everything bolts onto. You're right, theoretically it could be a "myth", but in this case it is not. Now you will obviously have additional commonalities among the models, but Subaru has already confirmed their platform and showed pictures of it.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:51 PM   #153
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thanks to VW and the handful of car part suppliers now every car manufacturer's marketing dept will have to sell a "global platform" regardless of what it is in reality.

If Subaru goes it alone they should do a 3rd gen Alcyone instead of a BRZ successor.

Last edited by krayzie; 04-23-2018 at 07:07 PM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:11 PM   #154
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
Looking at the picture of the "myth" that Subaru presents, they are talking primarily about a base that everything bolts onto. You're right, theoretically it could be a "myth", but in this case it is not. Now you will obviously have additional commonalities among the models, but Subaru has already confirmed their platform and showed pictures of it.
This is not a 1966 Chevy frame that they bolted different bodies on. The pictures shown are the basis of each not the end all and be all "platform" for all the models. You are still fixated on the thought that the "platform" means a single chassis. That is not what it means.
bkharmony (04-24-2018), why? (04-24-2018)