follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
number1Tango

Drives: Silver FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
door speakers not working

Hey guys, something odd happened. Started the car this morning, selected some tunes and the music was only playing out of the tweeters and rear speakers and not the front door speakers.. I checked the fusebox under the hood and the DOME fuse is still intact. I tried doing some research but couldn't find any threads with this issue. Is there something else I should check? I checked the oem amp to see if there was a fuse but I didn't see anything...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
zebradust311

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think I remember reading on here that the front door woofers are actually connected to the amplifier in the trunk. You may want to check your connections there
zebradust311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
mangostick
Banned

Drives: whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
do you have an aftermarket head unit or factory? I'll put money down that the amp isn't turning on.. why is the question.
mangostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
number1Tango

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebradust311 View Post
I think I remember reading on here that the front door woofers are actually connected to the amplifier in the trunk. You may want to check your connections there
Unplugged and replugged everything, still nothn. Thank you though

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
do you have an aftermarket head unit or factory? I'll put money down that the amp isn't turning on.. why is the question.
Its the factory head unit. The head unit illuminates, tweeters work, but door speakers don't even have a hiss. Amp blow out maybe?! I have no Idea how...
Old 01-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
mangostick
Banned

Drives: whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
do you have a multimeter ? first thing I'd do is probe the turn-on lead to the amp and make sure you have power getting to it. If you do its the amp, if not then its likely the head unit.
mangostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
jpit

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
There is a fuse dedicated to the door speaker amp and it is in the fuse box on the driver's side. It is labeled AMP and it is number 15 right on the edge.
jpit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpit For This Useful Post:
number1Tango (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
number1Tango

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpit View Post
There is a fuse dedicated to the door speaker amp and it is in the fuse box on the driver's side. It is labeled AMP and it is number 15 right on the edge.
I'll check that out asap, thanks!

Update* That was the issue, thanks! Odd that it blew.. no idea why. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by number1Tango; 01-23-2013 at 03:04 PM.
number1Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
brntrinh

Drives: Asphalt 6MT FR-S
bumping a somewhat old thread with a question

i took a turn with a bit more excitement than usual and right after it seems like my door speakers lost power. my music went from normal to quiet instantaneously.

playing around with the fade and balance i could tell the rear speakers and the front dash speakers are still powered. the bass adjustment seems to have no affect leading me to think there's something wrong with with the door woofers

reading this thread i thought a fuse had burnt out but it looks intact upon checking it.
while under the dash i noticed i could still feel a bit of vibration from the drivers door but it was very minute so i'm assuming there's still a trickle of power getting into them. also confirmed that the vibration was indeed from the doors and not the other speakers.

i checked the amp and all the connections (i saw two) appear solid. i haven't checked the head unit connections yet but that's up next for inspection. btw its the upgraded pioneer unit (bespoke).

i'm at the end of my mental troubleshooting list...any of you gurus have a suggestion?

thanks in advance
-brian
brntrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:27 AM   #9
WolfSongX

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Bump for more info on this...
My door speakers are not working either, but I felt like there was a little vibration coming from them. I checked my AMP fuse and swapped it for the spare 15 amp fuse under the hood, still nothing. My backup camera which takes it's switched power off the plug for the rear amp is not working either.

I've been running the door speakers quite hard since deadening my doors, I don't have any rattling now and there was no warning or distorting, just gone. The stock system just wasn't loud enough, I prefer to run with the stereo cranked and the windows down to unwind on my commute home.

2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Professional driver in search of closed course..
WolfSongX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSongX View Post
Bump for more info on this...
My door speakers are not working either, but I felt like there was a little vibration coming from them. I checked my AMP fuse and swapped it for the spare 15 amp fuse under the hood, still nothing. My backup camera which takes it's switched power off the plug for the rear amp is not working either.

I've been running the door speakers quite hard since deadening my doors, I don't have any rattling now and there was no warning or distorting, just gone. The stock system just wasn't loud enough, I prefer to run with the stereo cranked and the windows down to unwind on my commute home.
I would check all the connections to the amp in the back. If connections are tight then I would probably take it to the dealer since the amp could be dead and should be under warranty. Although this might be a good time to swap the stock crappy amp out with something better if funds allow
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
WolfSongX

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
I would check all the connections to the amp in the back. If connections are tight then I would probably take it to the dealer since the amp could be dead and should be under warranty. Although this might be a good time to swap the stock crappy amp out with something better if funds allow
Connections are tight, so it IS an issue with the amp. I was hoping that there was a known bad batch of amps or something that would mean that it was worth the hassle of going to the our wonderful specimen of a local Subaru dealer to fight to get them to fix it and not have to wonder how long the replacement will last.

Unfortunately I have honestly felt I'd rather correct the issue myself, by upgrading my audio.

2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Old 08-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #12
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSongX View Post
Connections are tight, so it IS an issue with the amp. I was hoping that there was a known bad batch of amps or something that would mean that it was worth the hassle of going to the our wonderful specimen of a local Subaru dealer to fight to get them to fix it and not have to wonder how long the replacement will last.

Unfortunately I have honestly felt I'd rather correct the issue myself, by upgrading my audio.
Well, it is a good choice. That stock amp is junk. I think you will be quite happy with some upgraded speakers and a sub. I added a 10" shallow sub, 5 channel amp, new component speakers for the 6.5 door speakers for under $1K installed after tax.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:15 AM   #13
WolfSongX

Garage
Yeah, I'm going to get Subaru to fix the OEM amp to give me a little time to build the system the way it needs to be built. I have some bits and pieces lying around, but I don't have a huge budget to work within.

Cue up the old school "Mission Impossible Theme"... I feel a build thread coming on.

2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Old 08-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #14
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life

Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Thanked 5,291 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have the same problem. I just installed new door speakers and an amp. the amp turns on and "pops" the speakers when it turns off. but I'm not getting any noise like the pre out is bad. I even tried two different cables.

Last edited by Leonardo; 08-10-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote