follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #57
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoti View Post
I installed mine yesterday.

I only removed the rear tires and lifted the car. I just turned the fronts. I used a drill bit without a drill. Simply turn the drill bit by hand. The plastic is so soft it takes 20 seconds to go through it by hand.

Over all about 30 min to install all 4.

Also paid $49 shipped for the set from a Toyota dealer on eBay.
Excellent idea. It takes about 2 seconds with a power drill so just drilling by hand should be simple.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #58
frs10

Drives: tezla
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
bought 3M tape and didnt like it

removed the back tires and added the last screw, seems 10x more stable now.

for everyone doing this in the future, remove ur back tires
frs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #59
boxer 2.5

Drives: 2007 Impreza, 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
FYI, break wheel lugs loose before lifting car completely.
boxer 2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #60
SpectreRT

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Btw, you can drill the back holes without removing the wheels. (same goes for installing the rear diffuser without removing the bumper).

By removing 5 push clips (3 in the wheel well, 2 under the bumper, and 2 from behind the wheel-well, under the car), the plastic piece you will be drilling into can be removed.

Hard to explain without pictures, I can snag a few when I'm out today. I got my rear diffuser and OEM mud flap/guard things installed within 45 minutes without removing any wheels or bumpers.

Last edited by SpectreRT; 09-29-2013 at 08:39 PM.
SpectreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #61
frs10

Drives: tezla
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRT View Post
Btw, you drill the back holes without removing the wheels. (same goes for installing the rear diffuser without removing the bumper).

By removing 5 push clips (3 in the wheel well, 2 under the bumper, and 2 from behind the wheel-well, under the car), the plastic piece you will be drilling into can be removed.

Hard to explain without pictures, I can snag a few when I'm out today. I got my rear diffuser and OEM mud flap/guard things installed within 45 minutes without removing any wheels or bumpers.
where were u a few weeks ago bro...
frs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #62
SpectreRT

sorry.

I snagged a picture or two, but they came out blurry. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #63
jd666

Drives: 2013 Silver Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thank you!
jd666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jd666 For This Useful Post:
kuno (06-07-2016)
Old 10-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #64
davesbrz

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ
Quote:
Btw, you can drill the back holes without removing the wheels. (same goes for installing the rear diffuser without removing the bumper).
Quote:
sorry.
I snagged a picture or two, but they came out blurry. I'll try again tomorrow.
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your pics, instructions on how to do this without removing wheels/bumper for both mud guards and diffuser... I'm planning on putting them both on mine.
davesbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #65
SpectreRT

Sorry for the delay, been tied up with work and getting home when its dark. I'll try to get out there in a little bit before the sun goes down.

Pictures came out blurry. There are 2 that are at a very funny angle. Here are the easy ones (circled in red).

There are 2 more really easy ones at the bottom of the rear bumper, just behind the wheel well. Just pop them off.

When you do that, the little plastic box (has a little fin on it) will feel loose. This is the box you will be drilling into for the rear mud flap. The other 2 push-screw things are at a funny angle that I cannot get a picture of at this time (too dark). I'll update tomorrow with pictures of it.

Last edited by SpectreRT; 10-03-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #66
SpectreRT

*Note I am not responsible for any damage someone does to their automobile or themselves following these steps. It is assumed that you're an intelligent and awesome person, and will read through this before starting your work. I think you'll be pleased with the result. It took me longer to get these pictures and type these paragraphs than it did to actually get the mud flaps installed.

I finally got around to taking more pictures. It was a great day, and I had spare time. These pictures apply to the rear only. The front tires do not need to be removed at all, just turn the wheel and drill.

Step 1: Hold the mud flap up to the area where it will be installed. Use a marker or something and mark inside the hole where you need to drill. This will mark perfectly the plastic panel you will be drilling into. Set the mud guard aside.

Step 2: Remove a series of 6 Push-Tab thingies. I've got a series of pictures below showing their locations. Two of them are tricky. I'll try to provide more detail on them.

Push-Tab #1 This is simple and easy to get to.

Push-Tab #2 Also easy to get to.

Push-Tab #3-4 Super easy, these are on the bottom of the bumper. Note my picture is already with the mud flap installed, yours will not have the screw.

Push- Tab #5-6 Here is where it gets interesting. This picture below shows the actual plastic "box" you're drilling into. This is what we are removing so you can drill without removing the wheel. There are 2 tabs up inside this area, so it'll take you a moment to position your arm/wrist the right way to get in there.

Once you do, you'll find 2 push tabs facing the opposite direction. Just push against the little post and it'll drop down.

The box you're drilling into will fall right out. Drill and replace! Getting push tab # 5-6 can be a real pain. I only put back #5 as I could not get my wrist to bend enough to get #6 back in. Later, I ended up using 3M tape just to ensure nothing ever moves.

And there you have it, how to get the mud flaps on without removing the rear wheels.

*Note that while this flap is removed, you have access to the bottom of the entire rear bumper area. That means... you can see the area where you need to drill to fully install the rear diffuser. Should you purchase this... you can (if you have a small drill) get right to business and knock it out. If not, this plastic bumper is really soft compound. I just got a drill-bit and attached it to my ratchet and it did the job in about 10 seconds.

Hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpectreRT For This Useful Post:
davesbrz (10-20-2013), JonnyRocket (10-20-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #67
rip curl

Drives: 13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just installed the OEM mud guards on my BRZ last night. Fronts were done without taking the wheels off. I just used the drill bit and made the hole by hand (plastic behind is extremely soft). The rears required taking the wheels off since I couldn't get in the drill bit deep enough.
rip curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #68
THEWAKLER
USMC

Drives: DGM BRZ LMT
I installed mine two weekends ago and just didn't drill anything. After driving at 75+ and plenty of rain and mud, they still seem to be very secure. Gonna hold off on drilling for now
Old 11-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #69
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEWAKLER View Post
I installed mine two weekends ago and just didn't drill anything. After driving at 75+ and plenty of rain and mud, they still seem to be very secure. Gonna hold off on drilling for now
Funnily enough the drilling and extra fasteners are mainly for very high speeds.

Note the aero slots in the rear flaps.

For normal US speeds likely the extra fasteners are overkill.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #70
THEWAKLER
USMC

Drives: DGM BRZ LMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post
Funnily enough the drilling and extra fasteners are mainly for very high speeds.

Note the aero slots in the rear flaps.

For normal US speeds likely the extra fasteners are overkill.
Held up around the track with 104 on the back straight, I'm sure the drilling would be nice, I'm just adverse to drilling into my car.

Tags
flaps, guard, mud, mudflaps, rally armor