follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #29
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
I like these but I'm concerned about water. I heard of one guy here that has a vented hood shorting something during a wash. Does the manufacturer say anything about that?
Don't worry about the he said/she said. There are plenty of cars that have a vented hood from the factory. Plus, you can build/buy trays to redirect the water if you are still concerned.

LOLS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LOLS2K For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 11:22 AM   #30
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I like these but I'm concerned about water. I heard of one guy here that has a vented hood shorting something during a wash. Does the manufacturer say anything about that?
If you use a pressure washer, I would HIGHLY recommend not spraying directly into the vents, but around it. Regardless water is going to get in. I mean if we take a look at OEM hood solutions such as WRX/STi, mazda 3 speed, etc, all of these have hood vents and don't cause any issues with water. The only other steps that you could take is you could buy the Velox rain guards, but it decreases the ventilation, or you could use electrical tape on areas you think may be prone to shorting. Electrical tape is definitely not a solid solution, but it might be more difficult to have something short, more so just doing preventative steps.

As far as what the manufacturer states, I'm guessing Velox would say buy their rain guards, but that's about it. @VeloxEric care to chime in or offer any other suggestions?
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pgranberg11 For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 12:02 PM   #31
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
If you use a pressure washer, I would HIGHLY recommend not spraying directly into the vents, but around it. Regardless water is going to get in. I mean if we take a look at OEM hood solutions such as WRX/STi, mazda 3 speed, etc, all of these have hood vents and don't cause any issues with water. The only other steps that you could take is you could buy the Velox rain guards, but it decreases the ventilation, or you could use electrical tape on areas you think may be prone to shorting. Electrical tape is definitely not a solid solution, but it might be more difficult to have something short, more so just doing preventative steps.

As far as what the manufacturer states, I'm guessing Velox would say buy their rain guards, but that's about it. @VeloxEric care to chime in or offer any other suggestions?
Actually right after I posted, I went and checked these things out on FT86 and they do come with the rain guards. However, as you said, it kind of defeats the point and the cooling will likely be affected. Toronto is known for biblical summertime downpours that dump tons of water in 10 minutes and then it's all sunny again. The slats kind of point towards the front, which is where the water will go, but I have no idea where the electrical components are. I'm guessing the plugs? Coils? They're on the sides, slightly underneath and likely out of the way. Still a bit concerning though.

On a side note, when I get my car supercharged, I'd love to have the vents paint matched for that OEM look.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:07 PM   #32
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Actually right after I posted, I went and checked these things out on FT86 and they do come with the rain guards. However, as you said, it kind of defeats the point and the cooling will likely be affected. Toronto is known for biblical summertime downpours that dump tons of water in 10 minutes and then it's all sunny again. The slats kind of point towards the front, which is where the water will go, but I have no idea where the electrical components are. I'm guessing the plugs? Coils? They're on the sides, slightly underneath and likely out of the way. Still a bit concerning though.

On a side note, when I get my car supercharged, I'd love to have the vents paint matched for that OEM look.
I was going to originally paint match it, but the black powder coat looked so good I kept it. Honestly, if you could see these in person somehow they look amazing. Pictures don't do it justice.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:04 PM   #33
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
No issues. Everything in the engine bay is a water tight seal. All connectors, engine components, etc etc. Our shop ND Miata has a louver directly about the ECU, zero issues in Indiana spring time rain season. Manufacturers specifically make every electrical connection in the engine bay water tight.

Older cars, yes, I'd be worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post

We offer rain guards for those that want to dump the water forward. It's a nice part that can be uninstalled for events and installed during daily driving. But as far as being worried about the water, you're correct, no issues.

Thanks,
Eric
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
pgranberg11 (05-26-2017), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (05-26-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #34
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Sunday Funday! ft. cousin's 2007 wrx. Can you tell we are related? lol

Last edited by pgranberg11; 08-29-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #35
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

GridLife

went off track and broke my supercharger belt.... they let me exit the track where everyone enters in the beginning of the session since I went off there.

Last edited by pgranberg11; 08-29-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #36
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

GridLife --- Velox Brake Duct/Hood Vent Eval

With my experience at this track before with no brake ducts, my pedal would get super mushy and my pads would definitely overheat. I would lose confidence and just not have a good time since I would be so worried about not being able to brake in time. I have seen some insane things with no brake ducts before. I have melted wheel weights off of my wheel as well have seen it happen on another car without brake ducts. I've seen my brakes hit close to 1000 without brake ducts measured with an Amazon laser heat gun. Not the fanciest or the best, but it gives some sort of judgement. Brakes are usually tested after a 3 minute cool down lap on track at about 50-60mph. Then a short cruise back to the paddock at 10mph. With the brake ducts I saw a huge, drastic drop in temp at about 400 degrees. I was really impressed and happy to see that these are doing their job.

As far as the hood vents go, since the supercharger runs hot, and I have toasted a coil pack before without the vents, I have to say these vents do solve the heat problem. Before the vents I wouldn't be able to pop my hood and try to touch the hood prop, it would be so hot I would pretty much burn my fingers. With the hood vents, temps have dropped where I could comfortably touch my hood and stand it up with the prop at the end of a track session. Velox makes great products. And to top it all off, they have great customer service too. Thank you @VeloxEric!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pgranberg11 For This Useful Post:
arthur93 (06-19-2017), Tcoat (06-19-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #37
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

well this sucks.. wasn't expecting my photos not to show up since photobucket decided to change their policy.. I'll have to update those pictures another time...

anyways as the new title reflects now... here are some pictures of what I'm guessing a rod bent and made its way out.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #38
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Just an update, started taking some stuff off:

I've come to the conclusion that for round two of this car will be turbo.

Kraftwerks C38 is up for sale will include 1 belt that was fairly new with less than 1000 miles on it, another brand new belt in box and a whole bottle of rotrex fluid that is about 95% full, (Only opened it to top off the rotrex oil), and an omni 3 bar MAP sensor.

In addition, I will have for sale my DW700 injectors, and my Perrin Resonated 3 inch exhaust.

For Sale post will be made some time this week hopefully.

Last edited by pgranberg11; 08-29-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #39
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,921 Times in 1,768 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
First 2 pages have broken pics
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:49 PM   #40
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
First 2 pages have broken pics
yup. I'm aware. photobucket changed their policy. probably will not update those pictures until I sell my items. Thanks for letting me know!
Old 08-29-2017, 01:51 PM   #41
NINE

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Dang, how much WHP were you running? What do you think happened?

Past: 2008 BMW M3, 1976 Datsun 280z, 1998 240sx, 1990 180sx, 2005 RSX-S, 2003 IS300, 2001 Civic.
NINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:27 PM   #42
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINE View Post
Dang, how much WHP were you running? What do you think happened?
a little more than 300whp if I could guess. To be honest, not sure why it happened or what exactly broke. I do have a video of what happened on the track though maybe I can fid it and post it up.

If I could guess... the brz just wanted to crack open a cold one with the boys and it's own service window for a rod. (rod bent and flew out?? not sure). Or just straight up engine fatigue over time just being supercharged.