follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #57
Firestorm_86

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Oops. I always switch them.
Firestorm_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #58
Stewie

Drives: '15 - WRB Brz Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
The valving on both is apparently the same, which is a disappointment.

The difference is the B8 has less droop travel, which is not desirable. Not a big deal, but there is no advantage to that.

The B8 "probably" has a shorter internal bumpstop for the fronts, which is nice. In the end for a mild drop spring like our RCE Yellows the B6 is probably the better fit. For a spring that's a little lower and softer up front, the B8 might work better.

- Andy
Thanks for the response Andy. I appreciate it.
Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stewie For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (09-24-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #59
sittinSideways

Drives: '13 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Honestly, from my research it seems to be about what your priorities are. If you want a coilover that is both comfortable on the street and decent on the track, you'll want KW V3's or Eibach Multi-Pro R2's, which are in the 2-3k range. However they make sacrifices for the street and are a bit soft on the track. They can't be re-valved from the factory for more aggressive spring options.

If you want pure track performance with no regard to street comfort, it seems Fortune Auto 510's with Swift springs will do you good, as they are the only coils I have found for <$4000 that can be custom re-valved to match your spring rate.
sittinSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #60
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I am pretty happy with my FEAL 441s at $1350 - swift springs - us based - Odi is a decent guy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GsGq8TvW6E"]Odi Bakchis and Feal Suspension take on Formula D 2013 - YouTube[/ame]
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #61
NoobTron

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS, Argento, 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
OP,
Not sure if you are still engaged with this thread any longer, but one question I don't see asked or answered is who is going to do the install? You? Tire shop? Some bro-canic of yours? What cha' got there? You will need to make sure that is in your budget.

Personally, I just put on a set of B6s and RCE Yellow springs(rather, paid someone to install) and I could not be more happy with this setup. I have read other posts claiming "better daily driving than stock." Didn't believe it... Well guess what? It's better than stock. I was not directly after a lowered look, it just kinda comes with the deal, looks great. So far on any more spirited runs I feel like I have way better connection to the car and better control.

This setup will run you in the neighborhood of $1100-$1200, plus install - local mileage will vary, count on $250-$400 unless you are a DIY sort.

E-
NoobTron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoobTron For This Useful Post:
Jar (11-08-2014), Racecomp Engineering (11-08-2014)
Old 11-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #62
Jar

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobTron View Post
OP,
Not sure if you are still engaged with this thread any longer, but one question I don't see asked or answered is who is going to do the install? You? Tire shop? Some bro-canic of yours? What cha' got there? You will need to make sure that is in your budget.

Personally, I just put on a set of B6s and RCE Yellow springs(rather, paid someone to install) and I could not be more happy with this setup. I have read other posts claiming "better daily driving than stock." Didn't believe it... Well guess what? It's better than stock. I was not directly after a lowered look, it just kinda comes with the deal, looks great. So far on any more spirited runs I feel like I have way better connection to the car and better control.

This setup will run you in the neighborhood of $1100-$1200, plus install - local mileage will vary, count on $250-$400 unless you are a DIY sort.

E-
This is almost certainly what I'll end up doing. stiffer springs and an appropriate strut configuration.

I could be remembering wrong, but RCE used to sell a GTWorx/Blistein struts bundle with their yellow springs for the WRX/STi. I've not seen a similar offering for the 86 on their site.
Jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #63
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My FRS is my daily driver and canyon runner. This is what i did.

TRD Lowering springs
TRD Anti-sway bars
Bilstein B-6 Shocks (OEM replacements recommended for the TRD lowering springs)

Whiteline bushings
KCA416 Camber adjusting bolts
KSR210 Steering- rack & pinion,
KDT926 Gearbox- positive shift kit
KDT925 Differential- mount in cradle & support outrigger insert bushings
KDT922 Rear Crossmember- mount insert bushings

Cusco Power Braces
Front Tower Bar (Type ALC OS)
Front Lower Control Arms
Front Crossmember bar (Type ll)
Rear Crossmember bar

I did this earlier this year and the car has improved in handling, steering and acceleration. If this goes over $1500 (I forgot what I paid), save more money and do this package. You won't regret it. It is well worth it.
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #64
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar View Post
This is almost certainly what I'll end up doing. stiffer springs and an appropriate strut configuration.

I could be remembering wrong, but RCE used to sell a GTWorx/Blistein struts bundle with their yellow springs for the WRX/STi. I've not seen a similar offering for the 86 on their site.
We do sell a custom Bilstein for GR/GH Impreza matched to our RCE Yellows and Blacks for that car but we do not offer that for the BRZ or FRS. It's awesome and it's something we think about doing. We can assist with a custom build through Bilstein for these cars, but we don't have a mass produced thing set up so it will be the normal Bilstein revalve pricing which is roughly 100 bucks a corner + shipping.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Jar (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 10:36 PM   #65
Jar

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Excuse my dumbness about struts, but does "re-valving" mean that the strut is adjusted for the amount of travel that the spring permits?
Jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #66
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vividracing View Post
No sure if you are still looking for a lowering option, but if you are we are having a CRAZY deal on a set of HKS Hypermax IV GT Coilovers.
Normal MSPR $2394.00 USD shipped.

With my clearance pricing I can have them to your door for $1594.00 thats an $800.00 saving. Let me know if I can help you out!
Are these going to be available for the holidays coming up?
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #67
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar View Post
Excuse my dumbness about struts, but does "re-valving" mean that the strut is adjusted for the amount of travel that the spring permits?
It means that the compression and rebound (extension) force values are changed to better match a change in spring rate.

And adjustable shock with a knob will let you change these values too, but you usually don't have the same precision with the adjustments that way. Most of the time you have 1 knob and either change just rebound, or both rebound and compression together. Both are compromises. Really good shocks will add more knobs and give you more control. But cost some money.

Bilsteins are great shocks internally in terms of how they're built, but most of their stuff do not have any knobs to turn. So if you want to make adjustments, a revalve is in order. BUT off the shelf though they'll still do really well with most of the springs out there. A revalve would just make them more better.

There's not much you can do to make up for a drop on standard fixed perch struts other than trim the bumpstops or use shorter ones. You're still limited because you need SOME bumpstop.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Jar (11-10-2014)