follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Magnaflow vs. Corsa vs. Eforce - Which Catback?

With a full exhaust system, my catback is just too loud. I cannot cruise on the highway or start my car when its any colder than 30F outside, without my car wanting to explode. I need some opinions.

Exhaust Setup: Tomei catless UEL, Tomei Overpipe, Berk Catted Front Pipe……and then what?

I haven’t heard these systems in person, but from reading online, this is what I have gathered:

Corsa 2.5’’ – Expensive, loud, not a lot of drone, heavy http://thmotorsports.com/i-1890990.a...vyMaArjr8P8HAQ
Magnaflow 2.5” – medium price range, not too loud?, maybe even too quiet??, no drone, heavy https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...7ysaAigq8P8HAQ
Xforce 3” – N/A so I don’t need the 3” (yet), cheaper than the others, heavy https://www.rallysportdirect.com/fit...t-back-exhaust

I can’t get a real good gauge of each of these systems. The Corsa is the most expensive, and I think the one I would pick, but its $800+, the others are in the $500 range. I like the growing room of the Eforce, but I cant find much about it and what is the point of a 3” system, and having a 2.5” front pipe (HKS SC system is in the future)? Magnaflow is where I am leaning now, but my fear is that it will be too quiet.

I really want the car to be loud, deep and not drone as much. I don’t mind a little drone, but the N1 setup is just way too much at this point for the neighbors to take and for me, when I am on the highway (best exhaust system around for cruising around town).

Appreciate any input – and yes, I have scoured google/youtube to the end of the world and cannot decide. Talk me off the ledge of buying the Corsa or Magnaflow, or help me decide on the Eforce!

Last edited by Timmy_Jones; 06-13-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timmy_Jones For This Useful Post:
JB86'd (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #2
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
...Xforce. Eforce is a supercharger.

I would say magnaflow, even though it is not a very popular option on this board (research why) and it has a stamped u bend that kind of turns me off from it. It makes middle of the road power, less than stock weight, and easy on the wallet pricetag. It also comes with a great warranty.

The Xforce seems like a good exhaust, I'm not too sure why it isn't run more often. 3" would be overkill, and I doubt you see any gains from it with minimal mods like you have, and it is overkill for 90% of builds, but it would sound deep.

Corsa.... way too much money, not a great sound (JMO) but it doesn't drone!

Have you looked at the Q300??? Seems about what most people get when they don't want drone and still want a good sound. Any of these exhausts with missing cats are loud, and this car lends itself to sounding horrible....so I, personally, would go with the quietest setup possible, as it will still be louder than you anticipate.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Timmy_Jones (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 03:12 PM   #3
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
...Xforce. Eforce is a supercharger.
I can't even blame autocorrect for that one....xforce is exactly what I meant.

And thank you for the input. I swore off the Q300 because the last thing I want to do is lose any sort of power and fear not having enough noise.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:13 PM   #4
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Quote:
The Xforce seems like a good exhaust, I'm not too sure why it isn't run more often. 3" would be overkill, and I doubt you see any gains from it with minimal mods like you have, and it is overkill for 90% of builds, but it would sound deep.
I wish I could tell how loud/deep these setups all are. In a perfect world I would listen to them all and decide.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:24 PM   #5
Xuningshen

Drives: Subaru BRZ
i love the sound of my corsa and i think its worth the cost because of their muffler design. but it is definitely loud, and I'm only running the non-catted berk front pipe and that. about to weld in a resonator into the berk front pipe.

also running a JR supercharger, with a Delicious tune that reduces the cold start cycle. so its not as loud as it used to be, but still loud haha
Timmy_Jones (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #6
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
I can't even blame autocorrect for that one....xforce is exactly what I meant.

And thank you for the input. I swore off the Q300 because the last thing I want to do is lose any sort of power and fear not having enough noise.

Lose power? Over what, the N1?
Old 06-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
KendallH

Drives: 2013 FR-S Base, 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Put stock frontpipe back on.
KendallH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #8
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Quote:
Lose power? Over what, the N1?
Yes.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:34 PM   #9
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I can't quite remember but I think someone on the boards may have mentioned the corsa gets stupidly loud with a uncatted uel header. But 'stupidly loud' is fairly subjective depending on person to person. I think a Magnaflow should be more tolerable with your set up. Not sure about xforce...

I also suggest looking at the Q300 or you can even save some money and go back to stock catback. The power gains with an aftermarket catback is pretty minimal anyways. Both will substatially reduce the amount of noise than your current setup but still will be loud enough for people to turn heads when you rip by!
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G-awesome For This Useful Post:
Timmy_Jones (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #10
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
With a full exhaust system, my catback is just too loud. I cannot cruise on the highway or start my car when its any colder than 30F outside, without my car wanting to explode. I need some opinions.

Exhaust Setup: Tomei catless UEL, Tomei Overpipe, Berk Catted Front Pipe……and then what?

I haven’t heard these systems in person, but from reading online, this is what I have gathered:

Corsa 2.5’’ – Expensive, loud, not a lot of drone, heavy http://thmotorsports.com/i-1890990.a...vyMaArjr8P8HAQ
Magnaflow 2.5” – medium price range, not too loud?, maybe even too quiet??, no drone, heavy https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...7ysaAigq8P8HAQ
Xforce 3” – N/A so I don’t need the 3” (yet), cheaper than the others, heavy https://www.rallysportdirect.com/fit...t-back-exhaust

I can’t get a real good gauge of each of these systems. The Corsa is the most expensive, and I think the one I would pick, but its $800+, the others are in the $500 range. I like the growing room of the Eforce, but I cant find much about it and what is the point of a 3” system, and having a 2.5” front pipe (HKS SC system is in the future)? Magnaflow is where I am leaning now, but my fear is that it will be too quiet.

I really want the car to be loud, deep and not drone as much. I don’t mind a little drone, but the N1 setup is just way too much at this point for the neighbors to take and for me, when I am on the highway (best exhaust system around for cruising around town).

Appreciate any input – and yes, I have scoured google/youtube to the end of the world and cannot decide. Talk me off the ledge of buying the Corsa or Magnaflow, or help me decide on the Eforce!
Why are you only considering these 3 options?

There is many other catbacks that would be a good choice for you if your looking for a quiet catback. Yes some are very expensive, but these 3 catbacks are the most quiet options on the market today.

Option 1
Fujitsubo Authorize R

Option 2
Blitz VS/VSR

Option 3
Invidia Q300

Regarding front pipes (which will bring noise down drastically)

Option 1
Stock Front Pipe

Another Front Pipe that actually keeps the same noise level the same as Stock FP is the Fujitsubo Dual Resonated FP, however it only comes catless so your car will smell.

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Impreza For This Useful Post:
Timmy_Jones (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #11
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
Why are you only considering these 3 options?

There is many other catbacks that would be a good choice for you if your looking for a quiet catback. Yes some are very expensive, but these 3 catbacks are the most quiet options on the market today.

Option 1
Fujitsubo Authorize R

Option 2
Blitz VS/VSR

Option 3
Invidia Q300

Regarding front pipes (which will bring noise down drastically)

Option 1
Stock Front Pipe

Another Front Pipe that actually keeps the same noise level the same as Stock FP is the Fujitsubo Dual Resonated FP, however it only comes catless so your car will smell.
That's the problem...I'm searching for the unicorn. I want loud and no drone. I'm ok with a little, but current state is too much for the highway and winter cold starts. I love the volume now.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #12
Timmy_Jones
Spun

I would love to run the Q300, my biggest fear is shelling out the money doing the install and starting the car and being so disappointed.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #13
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Yes.
I don't think that is an issue you will run in to.

Go magnaflow.... sounds like what you need.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:17 PM   #14
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I like my Magnaflow a lot. Not too loud and deeper sounding. Nice tips, not too tacky like some that I've seen.

However, after I installed UEL headers it was noticably louder. Then, after installing an HKS supercharger it is a bit louder than I'd like on not fully wot. Forces me to turn up the stereo to actually hear morning talk radio on my stop and go commute.

I still use the stock front pipe to retain one cat and to keep the resonator. I am considering buying another resonator and having it welded into the front pipe to tone things down a bit.

Keep this in mind if you might go FI. Dont worry about power, +/- 2 HP isn't going to make any difference.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Timmy_Jones (06-13-2016)