follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #113
dilly-o

Drives: 1996 300ZX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
I thought the N/A impreza and wrx used a weaker tranny than the sti. It might have changed for the new models, but I'[m pretty sure the older one had that problem.

yup...WRX has a 5 speed and the STi has a 6 speed. thats why the WRX is just as fast 0-60 as the STi, you only have to shift once to get to 60, the ratios in the STi make you shift twice.

but its irrelevant. the Toyobaru will have the same drivetrain regardless of the badge on the trunk. and by all accounts it will be an Aisin 6-speed.
dilly-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #114
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
Hahahaha, too true.

W58 says wha to the R154?
That's a big gap between those two. Then Toyota decided to really emphasize the pecking order of turbo vs NA when they offered W58 NA and V160 (!!!!!!) turbo Supras.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #115
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
A top level model with a turbo is a no-brainer -- it's got a subaru block in it after all.

But what's this about a second engine option? 2.5 maybe?

2.0 N/A
2.5 N/A
2.0 T

That line up sounds familiar... or am I hitting the opium pipe too much?
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #116
jyoo

Drives: 350z
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
I'm not against turbo, but why ppl are saying NA can't compete w Z, Gene, and other sports cars? It's like saying NSX can't compete w Pors, Ferr, Lamb, BMW, & other euro sports cars... but the fact is NSX can keep up and beat some of Pors, Ferr, BMW in the track without problem even though NSX only has 280hp.

Oh course NSX and FT86c is totally different car, but idea is same. mid power + light weight = can go long way. Light weight helps w braking distance and turn without heavy chassis roll, while it has enough power to keep the car go forward without fighting w steering wheel.

Now, thinking bout that. I hope Toyota will do like Porsche. Make the high end FT86 into awesome NA car and keep the mid end in turbo and low end been basic NA.
  • High range NA will have 220~260 hp (or make it 2.2~2.5L w 280hp) no lagging redline all the way to 9.2k rev engine, performance suspension w brakes. Price tag around $26k~$28k
  • Mid range turbo ver has 230~240 hp w sports suspension w brakes. Price tag around $23k~$25k
  • Low end has 175~200 hp basic all around. Price tag around $19k~$22k
okay first of all, the turbo isnt adding 500 pounds to the car. it will still be a light weight car so the chassis roll and braking distance is the same. youre just speaking nonsense. and you want a 260 2.0L motor? goodluck. s2k got motor of the year couple years running because of its 120hp/L motor and that car cost 30k+. and stop dreaming, a higher hp na car wont happen unless the displacement is way higher than turbo. i want the turbo model because of the faster lap times i will be getting. when i go out karting with my single speed, i can beat some of those shifter karts in the corners but they leave me behind in the straightaway and i lose in the end. i dont know your racing experience but turbo helps on the track.

*edit:

the 370z couldnt even beat the sti or evo x. nsx couldve had the second place if he had more power. just being fast in the corners isnt gonna get you the win all the time. im not saying NA isnt great. ive driven s2ks and theyre GREAT cars, but IMO, i would like the forced induction in the fr-s. power to weight ratio combined with the great handling and braking = win

Last edited by jyoo; 08-13-2010 at 09:25 PM.
jyoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #117
jyoo

Quote:
Are you sure bout that?

Zzyzx Mortorsports 2.5RS breaks 300 HP NA

Yes, I know it's not OEM, but it's possible.
sure they can do it. just expect to pay 35k+ for the car then.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #118
jyoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NESW20 View Post
i see we've got a comedian amongst us.
whats wrong with the v6 gen coupe.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #119
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoo View Post
whats wrong with the v6 gen coupe.
Turbo vs NA philosophy. Some people enjoy the purity and response of an NA car. Some people like boost. I have a Supra, guess which camp I fall in?

Just because the Hyundai is RWD doesn't make it a legitimate competitor for this car. COMPLETELY different philosophies and purpose.

The V6 Genesis coupe is trying to be a cheaper alternative to the G37. And I do mean cheaper. Not less expensive. Not more economical. Cheaper. As in cheap.

Because titanium.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #120
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,096 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
okay first of all, the turbo isnt adding 500 pounds to the car. it will still be a light weight car so the chassis roll and braking distance is the same. youre just speaking nonsense. and you want a 260 2.0L motor? goodluck. s2k got motor of the year couple years running because of its 120hp/L motor and that car cost 30k+. and stop dreaming, a higher hp na car wont happen unless the displacement is way higher than turbo. i want the turbo model because of the faster lap times i will be getting. when i go out karting with my single speed, i can beat some of those shifter karts in the corners but they leave me behind in the straightaway and i lose in the end. i dont know your racing experience but turbo helps on the track.

*edit:

the 370z couldnt even beat the sti or evo x. nsx couldve had the second place if he had more power. just being fast in the corners isnt gonna get you the win all the time. im not saying NA isnt great. ive driven s2ks and theyre GREAT cars, but IMO, i would like the forced induction in the fr-s. power to weight ratio combined with the great handling and braking = win
Man, my Engrish must be so horrible... Who said if they put Turbo in FT86, it won't be light weight? My statement was Mid power + Light weight = can go long way. Never said Mid power cannot have Turbo and it must be NA. I was simplely talking bout make this thing mid power w light weight! If you read more down my comment, you see that Turbo ver hp is ranged around 230~240hp. That's not High hp as STI or 370z is it? Read it more next time.

Also for the Zzyzz Impreza, some one (forgot who said it) that, don't think it could get high numbers w 4 cylinders without boost, so I just showed the example that it's possible. Again, read what I was replying to. Who said, I want that motor in the FT86? F'ck, that's the last thing I want. I rather put EZ30R engine instead.

Again, I'll try to write "English" best as I can. I don't give a f'ck you get turbo or NA, that's not my business. Only thing I wish for this car is mid power w light weight!

Sorry, if I sound mean, but a while playing soccer today and girl kicked the soccer ball into my balls didn't make my happy... sorry that might be a bit off-topic.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:44 AM   #121
jyoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Turbo vs NA philosophy. Some people enjoy the purity and response of an NA car. Some people like boost. I have a Supra, guess which camp I fall in?

Just because the Hyundai is RWD doesn't make it a legitimate competitor for this car. COMPLETELY different philosophies and purpose.

The V6 Genesis coupe is trying to be a cheaper alternative to the G37. And I do mean cheaper. Not less expensive. Not more economical. Cheaper. As in cheap.
lol i see.. are you on supraforums?! do you have a member's ride thread? ?
Old 08-14-2010, 12:57 AM   #122
jyoo

Quote:
Man, my Engrish must be so horrible... Who said if they put Turbo in FT86, it won't be light weight? My statement was Mid power + Light weight = can go long way. Never said Mid power cannot have Turbo and it must be NA. I was simplely talking bout make this thing mid power w light weight! If you read more down my comment, you see that Turbo ver hp is ranged around 230~240hp. That's not High hp as STI or 370z is it? Read it more next time.

Also for the Zzyzz Impreza, some one (forgot who said it) that, don't think it could get high numbers w 4 cylinders without boost, so I just showed the example that it's possible. Again, read what I was replying to. Who said, I want that motor in the FT86? F'ck, that's the last thing I want. I rather put EZ30R engine instead.

Again, I'll try to write "English" best as I can. I don't give a f'ck you get turbo or NA, that's not my business. Only thing I wish for this car is mid power w light weight!

Sorry, if I sound mean, but a while playing soccer today and girl kicked the soccer ball into my balls didn't make my happy... sorry that might be a bit off-topic.
Lol. I was just reading your comment on heavy car= more chassis roll and bad braking and was wondering where that came from. Made it seem like you were trying to say that the turbo models will be significantly heavier.

I also never asked for HIGH horsepower but I asked for more power. Obviously turbo cars tend to make more power than NA cars, so I was fighting for the turbo model.

The STI or 370z video was just simply to show that even though a car can take corners faster wont necessarily win races if they just get beat in the straights.

The Zzyzz comment you made earlier made it seem like, since it was possible, why cant they put that motor in.

Its just the way I read it and you dont have to take it so offensively. Your english is fine and you dont have to act like I cant read english and shit. Its pretty fucking rude to us asians imo. Im sorry you got a ball kicked into your balls as I've been hurt many times in soccer as well. Hope youre alright.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:15 AM   #123
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
lol i see.. are you on supraforums?! do you have a member's ride thread? ?
I'm on SupraMania. Mk3, nothing to look at really. A bit rough in fact.

Have at 'er...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669

Because titanium.