follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #113
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,455 Times in 4,157 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubersuber View Post
Oxymoron
Ok, now you're being pedantic just for the sake of it.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
SomeoneWhoIsntMe (08-05-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #114
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Here's comparison done in the past with GRM:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...hats-the-diff/

Might help most understand the differences between types of LSDs.
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simpleisbest For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-03-2014), Ubersuber (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #115
Ubersuber
Banned

Drives: BRZ Pearl White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Ok, now you're being pedantic just for the sake of it.
Oxymoronic would have been pedantic, I resisted.

Technically, use of "oxymoron" was colloquial rather than correct useage.

Now I'm being pedantic.
Ubersuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #116
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,411 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Working your way towards another ban I see. Carry on.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
drewbot (08-08-2015)
Old 08-03-2014, 03:12 AM   #117
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Havent taken my power mechanics class yet so im still fairly unsure how these work. Never the less...

"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #118
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,353 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Oxymoron
No, you're the moron.

Clutch LSD's aren't on/off switches like you're claiming, they only lock as much as needed, and do so progressively. How aggressive they lock can be tuned to suit the driver. You're mixing behaviours between diff types. A true locker fully locks under any throttle, regardless of differential wheel speeds. A clutch LSD only reacts when the wheel speeds are different, and are tunable to control how great the difference in speeds can be before it starts to lock up. It doesn't go fully locked as soon as the speed is slightly different between the wheels.

Quote:
the clutch type uses friction discs and springs to preload the differential gears so they don’t spin as freely as they would in an open unit. As the axles try to move at differing speeds, the discs or clutches slide against each other, resisting this action. The result is a partially locked-together axle that still allows differential wheelspin.
Quote:
Like the Kaaz, the OS Giken is also tunable for a variety of speeds and degrees of locking.
Quote:
The Kaaz limited-slip differential is a variation on the clutch-type theme. When the vehicle is coasting, the internal clutch plates rotate freely without any preload, allowing the differential to act like an open unit. However, applying torque to the differential through either acceleration or braking causes a cone-shaped pressure ring to gradually lock the plates together.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-03-2014), RJasonKlein (08-11-2015), SomeoneWhoIsntMe (08-05-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #119
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,353 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Every day I feel and hear the Torsen in my s2000 hinder differentiation as I make the 90 degree corner out of my driveway.
I hear/feel this ALL the time in my FRS as well, in tight parking lot turns and even in the parking garage at my office. Any throttle application in a tight turn at very low speeds has the inside tire scratching at the pavement.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #120
Manji
Toyotas don't have boxers

Drives: GTV86, ISF, TE27
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Well didn't this thread turn into a bag of d1cks

There is benefit in putting a mechanical lsd in even a stock gt86. Even an average driver can feel it. Drive one with one and one without and you'll see for yourself. Even just on some spirited road driving.

Several of us in NZ had the TRD mechancial 2 way put in as a dealer fitted option. I was one that didn't, and I saw the difference at the track. I then drove one with the mechanical and I felt for myself how much better the car could "spring" out of the corner. (Where as the reality is that it was my car getting held back out of the corner.)

The trd units have the preload set a little high IMO. Great for drifting, but I think it needs to be adjusted, which I plan to do. I actually wished I'd got a 1.5 as I don't mind the accel setting, but wished it was softer on decel as I get push into some corners.

If I didn't already have one, I'd be getting this csg spec'd one, because they've already done the leg work with respect to the settings.
Manji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manji For This Useful Post:
CSG David (08-03-2014), killboy (02-01-2016), wparsons (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #121
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,932 Times in 2,053 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Only way the stock Torsen would be holding you back is if you're getting inside wheelspin in tight corners or over bumps. On my stock S2000 on RS-3s, I have always gotten power to both wheels at every track I go to with the stock Torsen. And on my street/track FD on Nitto NT01s, I always get power to both wheels at every track I've taken it to with a Torsen T2R ('03/'04 Cobra 8.8 IRS diff). Full dorifto every time

I haven't tracked an FR-S/BRZ. I guess it's possible that with the 54/46 weight distribution it might be possible to lift the inside wheel enough to induce inside rear wheelspin on very slow/tight corners, but I would guess it should only have that problem on quite sticky tires.

Anyone considering a clutch-type should check out the article linked in posts #77 and #114 http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...hats-the-diff/. On a well-developed track car presumably on A6s or R6s, they were apparently getting inside wheelspin with the stock Torsen on their S2000. One clutch-type diff gave them a ~0.4 second laptime advantage, definitely a big deal for racing or TT and fun in general. But a different clutch-type gave them only ~.04-second laptime advantage over the stock Torsen and gave dicey handling characteristics, possibly a net disadvantage over the course of a race.

IMO, drivers just getting into tracking and/or driving a stockish car on tires less grippy than DOT R-comps, stock Torsen should be up to it and the ~$1500 for a clutch-type would be better spent on track days and other mods first.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Sleepless (08-04-2014), Ubersuber (08-03-2014), wparsons (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #122
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

The S2000 used was a NASA TTC car and piloted by Ian Stewart. Street tires if I remember correctly.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #123
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,932 Times in 2,053 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleisbest View Post
The S2000 used was a NASA TTC car and piloted by Ian Stewart. Street tires if I remember correctly.

SCCA T3 car. DOT, yes, but definitely not a street tire... Looks like R6/A6 to me.

And it says "Hoosier" right on the hood and fender...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #124
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Ah...that's right. He ran NASA the following year I think in TTC and won, if I remember.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #125
Ubersuber
Banned

Drives: BRZ Pearl White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Well, personal remarks notwithstanding there seems now to be a balance in points of view which may be useful to anyone trying to make a decision about ditching the stock Torsen for a clutch type diff.

The two types work completely differently.

Roll stiffness is complicated and not well understood by the casual modifier.

For good examples of what is important consider the 70's rwd stock Euro racers like the BMW 2002 and Alfa GTV which uniformly show the inside FRONT wheel lifting completely off the ground and the 80's VW GTI showing the inside REAR wheel lifting completely off the ground.

If you need to seriously increase roll stiffness at the traction end of the car then the Torsen isn't going to cut it. Trouble is for fwd (or awd for that matter) the Torsen front diff is your only real choice unless you can fit one of the new clever electronic diffs.

Until that drive wheel is lifting the Torsen should be good enough and actually works better than a clutch type lsd. Once you get that rear roll stiffness up to critical level only a clutch type lsd will work properly for you. If you FI this engine then I recommend you do not try to also increase rear roll stiffness but if you do then a mechanical clutch type lsd will be the only solution to your traction issues out of corners.

A 1 way clutch type lsd will work best for a stock motor. If you get into a surfeit of power then a two way diff might work for you.
Ubersuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:32 PM   #126
Manji
Toyotas don't have boxers

Drives: GTV86, ISF, TE27
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
A 1 way clutch type lsd will work best for a stock motor. If you get into a surfeit of power then a two way diff might work for you.
What difference does the amount of power make, as to whether someone needs a diff that locks under decel or not?
Manji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manji For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-04-2014), wparsons (08-04-2014)

Tags
uberstupid