follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-09-2018, 11:31 PM   #1135
tony_r

Drives: '15 STX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Love the idea of a spec class, but my buy-in was not for that. It was just a "nice to have". Like I said before, intention was to have fun with expectations of STX-lite. The reality is RWD G Street.

Lots of people are going to have fun with it, and more power to them. Not trying to detract from their experience. On the contrary, I've been really open about what we're finding and been trying to add to their value. Seeing as we have two cars and are on sets #3 & 4 of tires.

But keep poking at me while you haven't even driven your car yet.

Last edited by tony_r; 04-10-2018 at 12:30 AM.
tony_r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony_r For This Useful Post:
M0nk3y (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 07:14 AM   #1136
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
I'm in the hate going slower camp. I also think the package is pretty flawed and while I never drove the car in CS or DS trim, it isn't that great on the street, IMO. The car scrapes everywhere. I can't drive it to work. I can't drive it to the grocery store (unless I pick a different grocery store not above the road). It is "nervous" on bumpy roads. I felt the rear skipping around driving through the mountain coming back from zMax.

With that said, the car is fun to autocross (though I've skipped locals so far). The car is much nicer on trips than the ES car. ...and I'm excited about the class.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steverife For This Useful Post:
ryejeff (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 07:27 AM   #1137
chkltcow

Drives: 2013 FRS White w/ cone marks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
You contradict yourself, if going faster isn’t the point then how does anyone win or compete?
Going faster than the rest of the people in the class is the point...... not going faster than the rest of the classes in the event.
chkltcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:39 AM   #1138
ryejeff

Drives: Miata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
With that said, the car is fun to autocross (though I've skipped locals so far). The car is much nicer on trips than the ES car. ...and I'm excited about the class.
I have been wondering about this exact ES->SSC transition. I'll be interested to hear your opinions as you spend more time in SSC.
ryejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:01 AM   #1139
Lex_K

Drives: 987S, e46, mkv, frs
Everyone wants to go faster. Some want it more, and those are the ones that think the tire decision does no benefit for the class. There are plenty of midpack drivers that will continue to advocate for how awesome the class is and that the tire choice makes sense. Everyone I speak to who is fast, is pretty much of the same opinion to some degree that the tire choice ruined what could have been great. I am going to stick it out this year and hopefully learn few things, but had I not bought the car prior to the tire announcement, I am 99% sure, I would not go the SSC route this season.
Lex_K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lex_K For This Useful Post:
iLuveKetchup (04-10-2018), strat61caster (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #1140
chkltcow

If you hate it, build a damn STX car. There's an STX thread you can go play in and get your 245 or 255 Bridgestones and apparently be way happier. Build the car for CSP if you want... that way you can get A7s. Just stop pissing in the Cheerios of everyone who does like this class and move on, if you hate it so much.
The Following User Says Thank You to chkltcow For This Useful Post:
Imp (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #1141
Imp
Bring out your dead

Drives: '14 BRZ (SSC), '00 S2000
I'm gonna get more bang for my buck... More time on the course = more driving for my money. LOL

--kC
Old 04-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #1142
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Man, if Mike and Jonathan are mid-pack, this class is going to be brutal!
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steverife For This Useful Post:
chkltcow (04-10-2018), Twinz (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #1143
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex_K View Post
Everyone wants to go faster. Some want it more, and those are the ones that think the tire decision does no benefit for the class. There are plenty of midpack drivers that will continue to advocate for how awesome the class is and that the tire choice makes sense. Everyone I speak to who is fast, is pretty much of the same opinion to some degree that the tire choice ruined what could have been great. I am going to stick it out this year and hopefully learn few things, but had I not bought the car prior to the tire announcement, I am 99% sure, I would not go the SSC route this season.
So SSC won't have any fast guys unless Hoosier is the spec tire? Or do "fast drivers" not want to go that fast?
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Twinz For This Useful Post:
chkltcow (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #1144
Imp
Bring out your dead

Drives: '14 BRZ (SSC), '00 S2000
Make me wonder if the "not a fast class/tires suck" people put a high weight on Pax because local classing and local points?

If you say they suck, not for me, etc... please state if you intend.on going to Nationals in Lincoln in Sept to try your hand against others... because that's what this class is more about... Long time we've been with a class that draws true parity on a national level.like this. Sure, you can run locally, or even local tours/pros, but if that's all you do when complaining about the class, I have to ask why are you in it if not going to nats? It'd be good if you put that with your reasoning why the tires suck or car sucks, because it's only sucking against local competition? You do a disservice to others saying these blanket statements, when you never leave your pond.

--kC
chkltcow (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #1145
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,495 Times in 5,008 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chkltcow View Post
Just stop pissing in the Cheerios of everyone who does like this class and move on, if you hate it so much.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJX4ytfqw6k"]opinions on the internet - YouTube[/ame]

And here I had hoped Special Snowflake Class would have been a temporary moniker.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #1146
tony_r

Drives: '15 STX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Make me wonder if the "not a fast class/tires suck" people put a high weight on Pax because local classing and local points?

If you say they suck, not for me, etc... please state if you intend.on going to Nationals in Lincoln in Sept to try your hand against others... because that's what this class is more about... Long time we've been with a class that draws true parity on a national level.like this. Sure, you can run locally, or even local tours/pros, but if that's all you do when complaining about the class, I have to ask why are you in it if not going to nats? It'd be good if you put that with your reasoning why the tires suck or car sucks, because it's only sucking against local competition? You do a disservice to others saying these blanket statements, when you never leave your pond.

--kC
Fairly certain everyone who is commenting here intends to go to nationals. I have not seen a single driver commenting here who is not planning on competing at the national scale, if not doing so already.

Sorry if we don't drink the cool-aid when bringing about legitimate concerns and complaints about the tire, suspension package and even the PAX that's at least 1 second off. The first two matter when talking about enjoyment of the class. The last is just an unfortunate guess on Rick's part, which will likely be fixed next year.

To recap in case you missed it:
The tire choice was unfortunate for some people. They've voiced their displeasure. This probably wont change and that's OK if the intent of the class is Fisher Price: My First Competition Class. Judging by most of the questions and comments on Facebook, that's who it's attracting and that's great for the sport. It's not for everyone, though, so don't get butt hurt when people don't like the tire.

The suspension package is lower than the TRD package on all 4 corners, while being a softer rate in the rear. This car was already travel challenged before and with this package even more-so. It was mostly OK with a better tire, but the rear of the car still broke away on high speed, high-g exit situations. With this tire choice, when you get deeper in the bumpstops the car has a tendency to break loose abruptly in the rear and progressively in the front (front stops are progressive and the rear is a stale donut). Beefy sway bars only go so far.

The rear endlinks are at a stupid angle on soft. At least the good thing is that soft is not the correct setting in any case.

PAX gunna be PAX.

Yes, I intend to go to nationals and have a good time with good people who aren't pedantic asshats concerned about class letters.
tony_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #1147
chkltcow

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
And here I had hoped Special Snowflake Class would have been a temporary moniker.
Sorry I get a little annoyed when I see someone condescendingly talking down to "mid pack drivers". He doesn't like it... fine.. leave... bye... but stop acting like you're better than everyone who does.

Here you go.... you can go fast for cheap: http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/foru...-Cars-For-Sale
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chkltcow For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-10-2018), Twinz (04-11-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #1148
JakeRogue

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
And here I am enjoying the car, happy as a clam. Competing locally, probably won’t/can’t go to Nationals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JakeRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JakeRogue For This Useful Post:
Twinz (04-10-2018)