follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2017, 05:39 PM   #1135
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskaman View Post
Can the OFT work as a purely general OBDii vehicle scanner outside of the maps loaded onto it?

I bought mine used without manuals so I am not sure if it was mentioned there.
Oft will work as an obd code reader on any 86\brz doesnt have to be married or same calid. However it only reads or cleares engine codes, not codes from other control units in car
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:23 AM   #1136
dannytkp

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey guys! I need some help here as i'm new to OFT. I received my brand new OFT yesterday. I'm currently running Tomei UEL headers, Tomei Overpipe and Invidia N1 exhaust, the rest are all stock (2013 BRZ). I am aware that i need to plug in my OFT to my car to read and store my stock ECU datas, and then only i proceed to download the latest files from the website and tune it to stage 2 with the right ID.

This is what i did when i first got the OFT, i connected the OFT to my laptop and got it updated with OFM. Next, i went to my car and connect the OFT. In the first screen, i'm supposed to choose "Tuning" in order to select my vehicle type and read the ecu right? But the moment when i click the Tuning, it tells me that "Tuning file mismatch, ECU write denied". I can't find what's the solution to this. My car is running stock tune the whole time. I have sent Shiv a few emails but yet to get any respond from him. I'm just wondering could this be the wrong tablet that i received? The image background is ferrari not ft86. Would be great if anyone can help me with this.
dannytkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:48 AM   #1137
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannytkp View Post
Hey guys! I need some help here as i'm new to OFT. I received my brand new OFT yesterday. I'm currently running Tomei UEL headers, Tomei Overpipe and Invidia N1 exhaust, the rest are all stock (2013 BRZ). I am aware that i need to plug in my OFT to my car to read and store my stock ECU datas, and then only i proceed to download the latest files from the website and tune it to stage 2 with the right ID.

This is what i did when i first got the OFT, i connected the OFT to my laptop and got it updated with OFM. Next, i went to my car and connect the OFT. In the first screen, i'm supposed to choose "Tuning" in order to select my vehicle type and read the ecu right? But the moment when i click the Tuning, it tells me that "Tuning file mismatch, ECU write denied". I can't find what's the solution to this. My car is running stock tune the whole time. I have sent Shiv a few emails but yet to get any respond from him. I'm just wondering could this be the wrong tablet that i received? The image background is ferrari not ft86. Would be great if anyone can help me with this.

try selecting different vehicle type, if you selected brz try Toyota 86 or if you tried 86 try brz
Old 11-24-2017, 08:22 AM   #1138
dannytkp

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
try selecting different vehicle type, if you selected brz try Toyota 86 or if you tried 86 try brz
It doesn't allow me to proceed, the moment i pressed "tuning" the error popped up. Cant even select vehicle model
Old 11-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #1139
steve99
Banned

Quote:
It doesn't allow me to proceed, the moment i pressed "tuning" the error popped up. Cant even select vehicle model

Oh make sure ignition is FULL ON not just accessory when your trying to read or write to car
ie all the dash lights lit up

make sure battery is good and over 12v

plug the oft back into laptop connected to internet see if it needs to do more updates

if you plug oft into laptop is the tuning slot marked original blank ?? indicating oft is not married to vehicle.

also try doing and erase on the tablet from openflash manager.

then try again to marry car.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:16 AM   #1140
dannytkp

Quote:
Oh make sure ignition is FULL ON not just accessory when your trying to read or write to car
ie all the dash lights lit up

make sure battery is good and over 12v

plug the oft back into laptop connected to internet see if it needs to do more updates

if you plug oft into laptop is the tuning slot marked original blank ?? indicating oft is not married to vehicle.

also try doing and erase on the tablet from openflash manager.

then try again to marry car.

1) I tried both with and without engine Full on (press Start button twice), it didn't work. Still stuck at first screen.

2) My battery is quite new so i think not an issue.

3) Had just tried to update with open flash manager, my OFT is up to date.

4) Under the download & upload tabs, it says tells me to connect my oft to the car as the oft is still brand new and needs to read an ecu. Therefore, unable to erase any data.

I had just went to my car a minute ago to try again and it still doesn't work.
I might just be the most unlucky guy. Waited 2 weeks, drove 2 hours to collect the parcel, paid tax and now with this issue. Where is Shiv....

I feel like this is the wrong tablet

Screenshots:

https://ibb.co/jE0uV6
https://ibb.co/diZzxm
Old 11-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #1141
steve99
Banned

Quote:
1) I tried both with and without engine Full on (press Start button twice), it didn't work. Still stuck at first screen.

2) My battery is quite new so i think not an issue.

3) Had just tried to update with open flash manager, my OFT is up to date.

4) Under the download & upload tabs, it says tells me to connect my oft to the car as the oft is still brand new and needs to read an ecu. Therefore, unable to erase any data.

I had just went to my car a minute ago to try again and it still doesn't work.
I might just be the most unlucky guy. Waited 2 weeks, drove 2 hours to collect the parcel, paid tax and now with this issue. Where is Shiv....

I feel like this is the wrong tablet

Screenshots:

https://ibb.co/jE0uV6
https://ibb.co/diZzxm

the tablets are same they can be configured to multiple vehicles

if you go to diagnostics or ecu info can you read out the ecu info like calibration id will be something like ZA1JB01C and do the realtime diagnostics work ??

this will check connection to car, it might be a faulty obd cable or the obd port in your car 2013 had a few bad obd ports

if the diagnostics works or you can read ecu info, then connection ok.

try removing battery terminal from car for couple of mniutes to reset ECU.

then reconnect battery and try oft again.

if still no go contact shiv, your car may have been tuned by brzedit or ecutek and has locked ecu
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-24-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 05:08 PM   #1142
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I've read about the tablet being limited in the number of times it can flash a car. Or is it limited in the number of times you can write files to it?

Is this a thing or did I read wrong?
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:55 PM   #1143
dannytkp

Quote:
the tablets are same they can be configured to multiple vehicles

if you go to diagnostics or ecu info can you read out the ecu info like calibration id will be something like ZA1JB01C and do the realtime diagnostics work ??

this will check connection to car, it might be a faulty obd cable or the obd port in your car 2013 had a few bad obd ports

if the diagnostics works or you can read ecu info, then connection ok.

try removing battery terminal from car for couple of mniutes to reset ECU.

then reconnect battery and try oft again.

if still no go contact shiv, your car may have been tuned by brzedit or ecutek and has locked ecu

I did try the Diagnostics last night and it worked fine. I will try the method with removing battery in a bit.

Do you mind to also have a look at this screenshot? This is the details i got from the "Information" in OFT when connected to my car.

https://ibb.co/b0BJOR

I did check with the previous owner of this car and he said everything was stock in my car including the tune.

Thanks Steven!
Old 11-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #1144
Boomerang

Drives: 2015 Toyota GT86 MT UEL E85 RSR CWP
Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,166 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
I did try the Diagnostics last night and it worked fine. I will try the method with removing battery in a bit.

Do you mind to also have a look at this screenshot? This is the details i got from the "Information" in OFT when connected to my car.

I did check with the previous owner of this car and he said everything was stock in my car including the tune.

Thanks Steven!

That screenshot indicates you already have a tune loaded on your car, a stg2 LF5CEC000.bin. Not stock.
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:05 PM   #1145
dannytkp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
That screenshot indicates you already have a tune loaded on your car, a stg2 LF5CEC000.bin. Not stock.

Hmm, that's weird. There was only one owner before this and he had confirmed with me that the ecu tune is stock. Now im confused.

Update: Tried reset ECU with battery didn't help.

Last edited by dannytkp; 11-24-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:16 AM   #1146
steve99
Banned

Quote:

Thanks Steven!
Ok that screen shot indicates something weird is going on here.

That tune file is the tune file the oft thinks was last flashed to a car. It looks like the oft you got was not correctly initialised and its likely set up for a differnt vehicle.

Yous car is likely stock, but the oft just think that file is in ecu.

The tune file id does not appear to be one that is compatable with a gt86 or brz.

When oft writes to car it does not emved any extra info in the rom file like ecutek. So the oft has no means of reading out ghe tune file name from a car ecu it jist reads a vin number and the calibration id, it does not read info like sage2 xxxxxxxxxx tune. The only way it keeps teack of that is it remembers last file name writren to ecu. So if your oft tgink it written the stage2 xxxxxxx tune its bot been ni itilised correctly and it not a tune name ive seen associared with 86\brz oft tunes

You going to need to ring shiv at oft and sort it out. I suspect you will need to return oft to shiv and gat replacement od get him to fully erase it and initilise for gt86.

Try phone or contact shiv via Facebook althoigh is a holoday weekend their ??
Old 11-25-2017, 01:18 AM   #1147
dannytkp

Quote:
Ok that screen shot indicates something weird is going on here.

That tune file is the tune file the oft thinks was last flashed to a car. It looks like the oft you got was not correctly initialised and its likely set up for a differnt vehicle.

Yous car is likely stock, but the oft just think that file is in ecu.

The tune file id does not appear to be one that is compatable with a gt86 or brz.

When oft writes to car it does not emved any extra info in the rom file like ecutek. So the oft has no means of reading out ghe tune file name from a car ecu it jist reads a vin number and the calibration id, it does not read info like sage2 xxxxxxxxxx tune. The only way it keeps teack of that is it remembers last file name writren to ecu. So if your oft tgink it written the stage2 xxxxxxx tune its bot been ni itilised correctly and it not a tune name ive seen associared with 86\brz oft tunes

You going to need to ring shiv at oft and sort it out. I suspect you will need to return oft to shiv and gat replacement od get him to fully erase it and initilise for gt86.

Try phone or contact shiv via Facebook althoigh is a holoday weekend their ??

Ok now that explains. I think you are right, its just the tablet problem. Thanks for the explanation.

I've probably sent Shiv 6 emails already but yet to get any reply. My cellphone can't reach America so i can only contact him with email.

Thanks again Steven, you are way more helpful.

Last edited by dannytkp; 11-28-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:26 PM   #1148
kowalski

Drives: 2016 brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
0 IAM issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weigaldo View Post
Is the template added at the bottom of the first post still the most current? I am having the 0 IAM issue and am wondering if cal file "F00D" isn't current.
Hi. I did some logs and I was going nuts not being able to monitor adv multiplier on OFT. Be it live or recorded, IAM stays "0" no matter what. Then FLKC goes from -100 up to 100 positive. Weigaldo have you sorted the IAM issue or has @shiv or anyone already came up with a fix for this?

Here are some logs that annoy me (ft86 catted header, 3 inches perrin exhaust, 93 octane 'probably 92' - premium gas in Mexico):

https://datazap.me/u/kowalski/stg1-9...&data=1-4-7-11

https://datazap.me/u/kowalski/stg-2-...ata=1-4-7-9-11 (here I have a +100 FLKC)

I have udpated the template as suggested, OpenFlashManager is up to date, I tried different tunes...91 and 93 octane. All of them show adv. multiplier = 0.

Stage 2 - 91 octane feels to run poor on low revs. Engine stalls more easily, slightly more oomph at higher revs. Stg 2 - 93 octane seems to run too rich and then engine seems to loose power at high revs. I am stuck here. Best comfort zone for me was to run Stg 1 - 93 octane. Now I am running stg 2 - 93 octane as a try out.

Any help or comment will be much appreciated.
kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote