follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #1107
ed209

Drives: '12 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenEngage View Post
but honestly most people do not even need that much in this light of a car lol
speak for yourself...
ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:12 AM   #1108
StevenEngage

Drives: 1995 Nissan Sentra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed209 View Post
speak for yourself...
LMAO, i said "MOST", not I. I would be happy with a 250whp frs but would like to have 300 or so

Of course more would be fine but I am being realistic
StevenEngage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #1109
Tradewind

Drives: 2006 Subaru Liberty EZ30 S/charged
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I'm just being brutally honest here cause I want AP to succeed.

Flying Miata turbo kit with fuel managment is $3k and they have to weld up a turbo manifold. The hardware costs here are much lower. Appreciate all the R&D, but good business doesn't mean all that cost goes to the first hundred buyers. If Scion starts selling a lot of these cars, and you start selling a lot of these kits then $3k is really the benchmark market cost for a kit like this and unforunately lot of that goes to ECUTek. If AP really wants the market, its going to mean taking a risk that the FR_S has a big sales volume. Otherise this will be a high dollar low volume kit, in that case you might as well just stick to the 8 psi+ high dollar crowd. Not many will will be willing to shell out 30% of the cars MSRP for 4psi.

A lot more will spend 15% MSRP for 4psi. Its all about volume and risk. Its tough that the DI makes tuning such a cornered market.

The majority want an extra 50hp (not 100hp) with as much reliability as possible for the lowest cost.

If I were you I would hold onto the stage I kit until the tuning options are more competetive. Today with the low volume its just the fanatics that are targeting 3-400 hp that will actually spend the numbers shown in the poll.
As mentioned already, this isnt chinese made stuff, there is a significant difference if you are the person who has to warranty this items for 12 months or so. A hard driver will fail a lot of the knock off stuff.

Don needs to use the good parts, set the price to cover it an deliver some profit. I am not sure how many cars the USA will recieve in the first couple of years but by the time you split the market a dozen different ways (other FI kits) Don might not sell so many kits as you might think so he might as well have a fair and reasonable price with quality parts from the get go.
Tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #1110
inz

Drives: GTi-R
320awhp and still not happy... :P

Aiming for 400
inz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:53 AM   #1111
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coheed View Post
A tial MVS wastegate, GT2860rs, BOV, good intercooler, cost $3000 in parts alone. GT28rs is around $1150-$1200. MVS is $300. Good BOV is $250-$300. Intercooler is another $300-$500 based on size and quality.

You aren't gonna get a kit like this for $3000. the hard parts alone cost more than that. Don will come out ahead if he makes $1000 for his intellectual property and labor when it's all said and done. And I don't think that is unreasonable.

But like you said, not many people are going to go for a turbo kit right out the door. But let's be honest here, the people who can afford it don't care. If you want something cheap, buy everything as a china knockoff. You could probably get all the hard parts for around $2000. But at what cost down the road?

Then for this to be a success its geared toward the high boost, built shortblock crowd. Nothing wrong with that, but its overkill for 4psi DD's ? Again I am comparing to the sucessful $3k flying miata kit which has a great rep for a mild boost DD (majority of buyers.) I personally would not want to DD an FR-S with 300+ rwp HP.

But it is very promising the performance gains with only 4psi boost, either that is a very efficient turbo/intercooler or its the boxers high compression ratio?

IMHO this is similar to the 90's, back then any quality engine management upgrade either to the stock ecu or standalone was a very expensive endeavor with very few knowledgeable folks who could tune a turbo fuel injected engine, most couldn't change the timing at all, this new DI learning curve and the single source supplier is a bit like re-living that.

If the FR-S continues to sell, there will be more competition on the tuning end and more balanced to daily driver turbo kits.

I think a lot reading this thread want a modest boost in horsepower and torque not a dragster, JMHO.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to regal For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 03:55 AM   #1112
inz

Drives: GTi-R
I would hazard at saying the high number, apart from competent work/tuning etc. OS due to its very high compression ratio.
inz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #1113
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inz View Post
I would hazard at saying the high number, apart from competent work/tuning etc. OS due to its very high compression ratio.

Thats my thoughts, a less expensive smaller intercooler and possibly turbo could be used for the 4psi option and save some cost. At 4 psi generally you don't need a high performance intercooler/turbo.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:28 AM   #1114
Don@Accelerated

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 1,162 Times in 316 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Guys. There is no 4psi system. We are just at 4psi currently.
Don@Accelerated is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Don@Accelerated For This Useful Post:
Alias (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #1115
Don@Accelerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Thats my thoughts, a less expensive smaller intercooler and possibly turbo could be used for the 4psi option and save some cost. At 4 psi generally you don't need a high performance intercooler/turbo.
We need the intercooler... trust me
Alias (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 04:32 AM   #1116
Don@Accelerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy83 View Post
I'm pretty sure it has Don's exhaust system, not stock
Stock
Old 07-21-2012, 04:33 AM   #1117
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don@Accelerated View Post
Stock
Yes, I was corrected earlier, my bad on that one.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #1118
slow_frs

Drives: turbo scion tc
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
as don has stated this kit is no 4psi kit its just where they are currently sitting, they need more R@D before upping the boost, also imagine the power this thing will make with a full catback on just psi im willing to bet 240-250ish
slow_frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #1119
Bobasaur

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Don, I was gonna post about the BOV fluttering noise, meaning the BOV used might have been too good for the system... but after your last few posts it sounds like you were just planning ahead.

Can we expect to see a video in which you narrate as you show us what you have done so far? All these 30 sec, 7 sec videos on YouTube are killing me! (I know, more more more...)
Bobasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #1120
Don@Accelerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobasaur View Post
Don, I was gonna post about the BOV fluttering noise, meaning the BOV used might have been too good for the system... but after your last few posts it sounds like you were just planning ahead.

Can we expect to see a video in which you narrate as you show us what you have done so far? All these 30 sec, 7 sec videos on YouTube are killing me! (I know, more more more...)

I'll make a full real promotional video once its all sorted out. I beat the snot out of it last night and not a hiccup yet. So far so good.
LivingLegend (07-21-2012)

Tags
accelerated performance, brz forum, brz forums, brz turbo, brz turbo kit, fr-s turbo, fr-s turbo kit, frs turbo, frs turbo kit, scion fr-s turbo, scion fr-s turbo kit, scion fr-s turbocharger, scion frs turbo, scion frs turbo kit, scion frs turbocharger, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, subaru brz turbo, subaru brz turbo kit, subaru brz turbocharger