follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #99
CruiseZen

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryguystye View Post
Can I still use ONR like a normal car soap? Would there be any pros/cons to prerinsing the car prior to washing, or would it just be a waste of water?
Just use common sense. If the car just needs a touch up or is mildly dirty, straight ONR without a pre-rinse is fine. If the car is moderately dirty, rinse it well before you use ONR. If the car has dried on mud or is very dirty, do a traditional 3 bucket wash (wash, mitt rinse, wheels/tires). My usual wash method for moderately dirty is rinse, foam lance, rinse, ONR.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #100
GotBRZ1691

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6smt
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
No rinse / minimal water use cleaning

So I see a lot of post about ONR for guys washing and cleaning cars in colder climates. How does this work in a warmer climate?

California is experiencing a real bad drought this summer and people can be find for water lawns and flowers and for washing cars. If water runs off your property into the street you can be find. I won't be surprised if parts of California see water rations a little later down the road.

I like cleaning my car, but I don't want to be a **** and use a lot of water for what most people will see as a useless activity.

What other Products work well with minimal water?
GotBRZ1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:52 PM   #101
peri.Laynz

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBRZ1691 View Post
So I see a lot of post about ONR for guys washing and cleaning cars in colder climates. How does this work in a warmer climate?

California is experiencing a real bad drought this summer and people can be find for water lawns and flowers and for washing cars. If water runs off your property into the street you can be find. I won't be surprised if parts of California see water rations a little later down the road.

I like cleaning my car, but I don't want to be a **** and use a lot of water for what most people will see as a useless activity.

What other Products work well with minimal water?
Can't comment too well on how it holds up in colder climates, but here in GA I typically wash the car on days where the temp gets up to 99+F and it's been fine.

FWIW, I personally wouldn't recommend ONR as your end all be all car wash. I have my car professionally detailed and jet sealed once a month, and just use the ONR in between detailing sessions. ONR can look relatively well, but my car was nowhere near as beautiful before I started the detailing.
peri.Laynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:33 PM   #102
GotBRZ1691

Quote:
Originally Posted by peri.Laynz View Post
Can't comment too well on how it holds up in colder climates, but here in GA I typically wash the car on days where the temp gets up to 99+F and it's been fine.

FWIW, I personally wouldn't recommend ONR as your end all be all car wash. I have my car professionally detailed and jet sealed once a month, and just use the ONR in between detailing sessions. ONR can look relatively well, but my car was nowhere near as beautiful before I started the detailing.

Just looking around for products and methods that use minimal water, since there is practically none out here at the moment
Old 07-29-2014, 12:23 AM   #103
Guzic
Clean as F86ck

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Just looking around for products and methods that use minimal water, since there is practically none out here at the moment
For a good decent wash, try gary deans 1 bucket wash. Normally I wouldn't recommend it as you should still rinse/foam gun the car thoroughly otherwise you'd be smearing dirt all over and causing swirls
Old 07-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #104
GotBRZ1691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzic View Post
For a good decent wash, try gary deans 1 bucket wash. Normally I wouldn't recommend it as you should still rinse/foam gun the car thoroughly otherwise you'd be smearing dirt all over and causing swirls
My car doesn't get to dirty, just a little dusty. I'd like to be washing it weekly to prevent build up of shizz on it but havent been doing that recently. It goes to the dealership tonight for work tomorrow and my dealership actually knows how to wash and wax a car properly so Ill let them handle it this week. Ill look into this method, thanks
Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #105
Jertronic

Drives: FR-S 10 Series 120 of 2500
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
You trust the dealer with washing? You must have a set of Kahunas because they usually ruin car finishes. Or at least case major damage in the form of swirls. Swirl factory. Im sure is entirely possible that your dealer washes properly but I have never seen this to be true of even luxury brand dealerships aka BMW. Total abuse of my last car a 3 series.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:50 PM   #106
CruiseZen

I asked my dealer about what method is used to wash cars and they said they use an automatic washer with brushes. :eye bulge: I would never let my car go through that. I don't trust that they won't wash it anyway so I always have it spotless when I go in and also hang a do not wash sign from the rearview mirror for backup.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #107
CruiseZen

Quote:
You can wash your FR-S with less than 2 gallons of water using ONR. There will be zero runoff to worry about and if you have a garage, no one will even know you are doing it.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #108
Kilfer

Drives: Whiteout 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just got my first car a bit ago, ordered everything on your list off amazon just now, gonna give it a shot when everything is in

Kilfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #109
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
For $20 you can get a Meguiar's Brilliant Solutions Paint Restoration Kit, which includes:

2 microfiber towels

2 foam applicators

1 small clay bar

1 bottle of Gold Class soap

1 bottle of Gold Class wax

1 bottle of Ultimate compound

1 bottle of Quick detailer

You can probably get this kit at Walmart, Autozone or check this link: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G3300-Brilliant-Solutions-Restoration/dp/B004EB12FS"]Amazon.com: Meguiar's G3300 Brilliant Solutions Paint Restoration Kit: Automotive[/ame]

That's about 3/4 of all you need to clean a car except a mitt, bucket, and hose. If you were looking to spend $20 on just a clay bar to clean a couple cars with, you should definitely consider this kit instead, because it's got a clay bar and everything else. So save $30 with this kit instead.

Additionally, get a microfiber drying towel, some glass towels to use separately, and some spray-on Invisible Glass cleaner and some Rain-X. On the interior upholstery I vacuum it out 1-2 times a week, and every 4-6 months use a strong-smelling turtle wax oxy-clean upholstry cleaner on my seats, wiping it on and off with microfiber towels - I use that because it will eat any sweat or odors. Mother's VLR on the interior vinyl avoiding staining the plastics, glass, and stitching. Not sure what's best to use on interior glass, probably just squirt a microfiber with IG cleaner and wipe inside, then dry buff the hell out of it.

Also some good advice is to buy a ton of quality microfiber towels of different types, give them one function, separating all your waxing towels from your pure polish towels, from your cleaner polish towels, from your glass cleaning towels. Put them in gallon ziploc bags and label them. You don't want your wax towels rubbing against your glass towels! And you can throw all towels in the laundry after every full detail as needed, just keep your towel designations still though because you don't want them mixed up.

Last edited by radroach; 08-08-2014 at 10:41 AM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #110
Kuros

Drives: 2014 FRS Raven. 2011 sti red (gone)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Always good to read about different approaches to washing!

Becomes really important when you're stupid enough to buy a black car... (me)
Kuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #111
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
For those looking for cheap wash media that's also much MUCH better than anything you can buy in stores,
www.theragcompany.com

For a basic microfiber, you'll want the Eagle Blue's. Best towel I've ever touched at a fraction the cost of store brands.

As far as ONR goes, been weekly washing my car with it since it was opticoated shortly after purchase. No scratches, no swirls, no nothing. It's unreal how well ONR works. Really didn't realize you could get cars this clean without paying hundreds of $$$'s to professionals.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #112
txptkxhse3291

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S 6MT Raven
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
good find, i'll definitely be ordering some things from this website!