follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #1079
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onelifeliveit View Post
I have rooted and have Viper. Curious about LMT launcher. What does it do that other launchers don't?
It's not really a launcher, not sure why they call it that.
It adds pie controls to the screen edges that pop up when you have your finger on the edge and gestures to do various things.
I suppose you can launch apps with it, but it's not a launcher in the traditional android sense.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:58 PM   #1080
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
It's not really a launcher, not sure why they call it that.
It adds pie controls to the screen edges that pop up when you have your finger on the edge and gestures to do various things.
I suppose you can launch apps with it, but it's not a launcher in the traditional android sense.

It really is great. I use it on all my devices.
Rooting in itself does nothing to stability.... it's all the trouble you can get into after you have full access to software.
I can't get Pandora to work without skipping songs nonstop for the life of me but I really doubt that's root related

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #1081
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverlightPony View Post
I just got a customs duty invoice from DHL (basically import fees) for $21.30. Shouldn't this have been covered by the fifty-odd dollars I paid Ca-Fi/Innotrends for shipping?

In case you can't tell, I am not a happy camper right now. >
That's strange. I don't think anyone else was hit by duties. And no, shipping fees don't cover that.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #1082
Deathalo

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Limited Manual BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
That's strange. I don't think anyone else was hit by duties. And no, shipping fees don't cover that.
I know I wasn't hit by duties either, weird. Also, LMT's pie launcher is the best way to access all your most used apps, like Pandora, and you can program activities in there with custom icons, so I programed the google now voice search activity to the top, so a quick swipe of the finger and boom voice control, with this icon: http://i.imgur.com/NGsV7pV.png

Those having trouble with Viper, you'll know when it's working because you can actively change the eq settings while Pandora or Poweramp is playing (if Poweramp's eq settings and volume control are turned off), and you'll hear them change as you mess about with the EQ. I can't remember exactly what the app you have to remove is called but if you use a file browser like FX root browser than it'll show you the app icons. It literally is just a purple square with a white V. I'm pretty sure I backed it up so I'll check the name later. In the mean time, I played around with the EQ settings in Viper for only a few minutes while using a new app I put on my phone called FrequenSee (free) and playing some white noise audio files I grabbed from this site: http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_whitenoise.php

(You can also test your low frequency with this file and watch the FrequenSee app move left to right, and fix it so it doesn't move up and down while moving left to right. http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests...cychecklow.php)
Before

After

The first shot is with EQ off, and the second is after making a few adjustments in Viper, namely trying to flatten out the curve by raising up the dip in the curve between 150 and 200, as well as above 10k, and by lowering the mid range and <50. Now, I'm no Viper expert, and I was only using the beginner mode to start with, but just spending a few minutes tweaking improved the frequency response dramatically, and you can definitely tell when listening (this is with stock speakers, no dynamat, no sub). I can't wait to dial it in more and try more expert options once I learn how to work them :P
Deathalo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deathalo For This Useful Post:
Pwolf (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #1083
eliminist

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moor View Post
Guys who has setup Viper, help please. Root it is installed, BusyBox it is installed, Viper 2.3.3 installed, drivers are downloaded, lpa.decode=false, tunnel.decode=false, lpa.use-stagefright=false.
But the driver is not active, Viper does not work.

Help, please, step by step
Excuse for my English
Make sure you have given permanent root permission to viper.

And ensure it is enabled from within the app.
eliminist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:08 AM   #1084
riyal

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 High MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sup gents,

After trolling this thread the last two days or so I'm about to pull the trigger on this head unit. Its exactly what I have been looking for ever since I got my twin. Android 4.x!

Its great to see that the Ca-Fi team are showing good customer support.
I'm just curious on the reliability of the unit from the hardware perspective. Noticed some guys mentioned a few button issues and touch problems. Overall I see it hasn't plagued everyone.

So in general, has this unit been reliable? I worry since its from China. For RHD drive guys that have it installed, is the microphone pick-up decent or is it better to have them wire the mic out of the HU?

Can't wait to place my order then let tweaking begin, I see the audiophiles are starting the tuning... looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Cheers gents. Great thread and thanks to all that have put in the many hours.
riyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #1085
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The only touch-input issue I've noticed is that the bezel overlaps the screen just a bit, making inputs that require touching near the edge or dragging something to the edge iffy sometimes. I've got a narrow-tip capacitive stylus that I use sometimes, pressed right up against the bezel, when I need to do that.
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #1086
Pwolf

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,380 Times in 560 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Unit came in today and 3 hours later we're up and running. I didnt know what to do to get aux working correctly so I just skipped that for now (to be honest I dont really use it). I took a picture of the method I used to tap in the amp for the front speakers. Ill post that later.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here who has posted various info. It helped a lot.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #1087
Pwolf

HU installed:

It's recessed a bit so I might have to bring forward a tad.

Here's what I did for the amp wire...

I went out and bought a wire harness to steal a pin from. Since the wire from the #9 pin is the one I need to tap into and that pin is missing from the unit's harness, I threw the stolen one (the grey wire... in hindsight, I should've used a blue wire) in there and then spliced the amp wire onto that. Taped it up for a "plug and play" solution without having to mess with the car's cables.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:24 AM   #1088
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riyal View Post
Sup gents,

After trolling this thread the last two days or so I'm about to pull the trigger on this head unit. Its exactly what I have been looking for ever since I got my twin. Android 4.x!

Its great to see that the Ca-Fi team are showing good customer support.
I'm just curious on the reliability of the unit from the hardware perspective. Noticed some guys mentioned a few button issues and touch problems. Overall I see it hasn't plagued everyone.

So in general, has this unit been reliable? I worry since its from China. For RHD drive guys that have it installed, is the microphone pick-up decent or is it better to have them wire the mic out of the HU?

Can't wait to place my order then let tweaking begin, I see the audiophiles are starting the tuning... looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Cheers gents. Great thread and thanks to all that have put in the many hours.
Hardware buttons sometimes stick.they also fail to register presses one third of the time for me

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DC2R For This Useful Post:
riyal (07-21-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 01:06 AM   #1089
Onelifeliveit

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post
Hardware buttons sometimes stick.they also fail to register presses one third of the time for me

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Same here
Onelifeliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Onelifeliveit For This Useful Post:
riyal (07-21-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #1090
SubaSteve
Captain Cocoa

Drives: CBS BRZ MT
Anyone else having issues with using the antennae adapter linked earlier in the thread? I have it properly wired up and you can get a signal if you hold onto the antennae outside but it's pretty weak. What could be causing this? I tried using my brothers antennae which is a decent amount longer but still sounded like crap in the car.
SubaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #1091
Pwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteve View Post
Anyone else having issues with using the antennae adapter linked earlier in the thread? I have it properly wired up and you can get a signal if you hold onto the antennae outside but it's pretty weak. What could be causing this? I tried using my brothers antennae which is a decent amount longer but still sounded like crap in the car.
No issues on my end. You still have the stock antenna or did you go with a shorty/sharfin?
Old 07-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #1092
SubaSteve
Captain Cocoa

Drives: CBS BRZ MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwolf View Post
No issues on my end. You still have the stock antenna or did you go with a shorty/sharfin?
I have a shorty and tried using my brothers antennae from his s2000 and the signal was still pretty crappy.
SubaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote