follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

View Poll Results: How would you rate the design of the 2nd gen? 1 lowest & 5 highest
1 19 7.20%
2 25 9.47%
3 62 23.48%
4 104 39.39%
5 54 20.45%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 12-05-2020, 02:26 PM   #1065
scuzzy

Drives: 22 BRZ limited MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1334637586334298112
scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scuzzy For This Useful Post:
Gearhead23 (12-05-2020), Lantanafrs2 (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 07:46 PM   #1066
Vides990

Drives: 13 BRZ (sold) 20 BRZ TS (sold)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
The 2nd gen looks more “upscale” for sure. I can’t think of a better way to describe it.
Lol anyway else is literally a better way to describe it. Upscale products tend to follow classic designs/lines and show beauty, this car is no longer pretty, it's riced and completely disjointed. It looks like they tried to make a factory rocket bunny and got it mixed up with an accord coupe/civic, unfortunately it only keeps looking more hideous. Here's to hoping the Toyota tweaks make it look acceptable.

Which is unfortunate bc there are reasons to be excited about the engine, from an n/a perspective. I definitely want to see it in person and drive one but it's no longer a beautiful car like the gen 1, and certainly looks anything but upscale.
Vides990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vides990 For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (12-06-2020), Dadhawk (12-06-2020), Tcoat (12-06-2020), ToySub1946 (12-06-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 08:03 PM   #1067
Willpower
The Power of Will

Drives: 17 BRZ PP, 02 S2000, 21 Mojave
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StE92ve View Post
The darker color definitely minimizes the front air ducts.
Which is too bad that it takes that, because the incomparable WRB, the definitive signature color IMO, definitely doesn’t minimize them...
Willpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #1068
beltax90

Drives: 2010 corolla
Thanked 1,798 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
i dont get why everyone so upset. just swap bumpers with the toyota and vice versa like weve been doing all along
beltax90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beltax90 For This Useful Post:
spike021 (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 09:39 PM   #1069
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,481 Times in 3,211 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltax90 View Post
i dont get why everyone so upset. just swap bumpers with the toyota and vice versa like weve been doing all along
Because people love to complain . It’s gonna be the same shit on here as usual once they’re out: “I still can’t pass minivans how can I make my car sound like popcorn and pass them?”
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
PulsarBeeerz (12-06-2020), Tcoat (12-06-2020), Vides990 (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #1070
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vides990 View Post
Lol anyway else is literally a better way to describe it. Upscale products tend to follow classic designs/lines and show beauty, this car is no longer pretty, it's riced and completely disjointed. It looks like they tried to make a factory rocket bunny and got it mixed up with an accord coupe/civic, unfortunately it only keeps looking more hideous. Here's to hoping the Toyota tweaks make it look acceptable.

Which is unfortunate bc there are reasons to be excited about the engine, from an n/a perspective. I definitely want to see it in person and drive one but it's no longer a beautiful car like the gen 1, and certainly looks anything but upscale.
Completely agree.

I think Subaru/Toyota intended to make the car look more 'upscale'. The interior looks like it's been upscaled from the current car, with better quality switchgear, a more cohesive dash and instrument panel, and maybe nicer door panels. But the body has gone from being pretty/borderline beautiful to an disharmonious mix of dissimilar design elements (curves mixed with Chris Bangle-like creases mixed with the biggest sills I've ever seen on a production car).

The more I think about the engine, the more I like it. I love the idea of a modestly bigger, moderately but meaningfully torquier, bigger displacement naturally aspirated engine. With a lower torque peak than the current motor. A lot of people will always whine about wanting 'MORE POWAH!!!!', but from what I've read, I think the new engine might be just about right and perfect for the car.

So many of the remaining IC cars these days seem to be moving to the ubiquitous turbo formula. It's a cheap, quick, and dirty way of getting good 'numbers'. The manufacturers long ago figured out how to game the EPA mileage ratings with turbo motors to show much better economy than one usually sees in the real world. The dreaded 'numbers' also look good - on paper - for performance, with big horsepower and fast acceleration.

For a while it seemed everything was a 2 liter turbo, but now there are even smaller motors. GM is using a 1.3 liter 3 cylinder turbo as the base engine in some models, and Ford has a 1.5 liter 3 cylinder turbo. My WRX has the proverbial 2 liter turbo and I love the car. But to me, most turbo motors all feel the same. Nothing down low until the turbo kicks in, then the catapult slingshot BAM!!! around 2500 rpm, and then it's all over by 5000 rpm.

And the sound of a turbo... that strangled, choked sound... like an asthmatic Italian grandmother struggling up a long flight of stairs... I know I'm hopelessly, curmudgeonly old-school, but to me nothing will ever beat a good NA engine. The 2.4 in the new BRZ might be just the ticket for the car (it's no Formula 1, but remember this is still a cheap, under $30k model and not a super car).

IC cars days are numbered. We're moving to a soulless transportation future of anodyne, bland electric transportation pods that will get even more dystopian with full autonomy. Those might be 'efficient' by some calculations, but they sure as hell won't be any fun. They will be appliances, nothing more. We should celebrate any even small joys in the waning days of IC cars and especially manual transmissions. The BRZ offers the increasingly rare combination of IC and a manual. It might be worth overlooking a step down in exterior looks for the step up in drivetrain and driving fun. Only a few extended test drives will tell for sure.

It's something to look forward to on the (hopefully!) other side of the pandemic.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Ash_89 (12-06-2020), Blighty (12-07-2020), joro2 (12-06-2020), StE92ve (12-06-2020), Vides990 (12-06-2020), WolfpackS2k (12-14-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #1071
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
The 2nd gen looks more “upscale” for sure. I can’t think of a better way to describe it. Almost Porsche like.
It would be interesting to see a poll on the new look taken from those interested in this segment who are not owners of the current models. At least among those participating in brand-specific car forums, it's common to find that owners of current versions of a given car are (at least on first exposure) generally not as satisfied with new styling changes as those with no skin in the game - for whatever reason (familiarity, psychological investment, cognitive dissonance?).

At any rate, the largely negative opinions on the new BRZ's look offered by current owners in this forum aren't reflected in the generally positive reaction expressed by auto bloggers/reviewers who participated in the live reveal and ride-along event. Maybe actually seeing the car in person will change some minds.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sport-Tech For This Useful Post:
StE92ve (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #1072
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,765 Times in 935 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
It would be interesting to see a poll on the new look taken from those interested in this segment who are not owners of the current models. At least among those participating in brand-specific car forums, it's common to find that owners of current versions of a given car are (at least on first exposure) generally not as satisfied with new styling changes as those with no skin in the game - for whatever reason (familiarity, psychological investment, cognitive dissonance?).

At any rate, the largely negative opinions on the new BRZ's look offered by current owners in this forum aren't reflected in the generally positive reaction expressed by auto bloggers/reviewers who participated in the live reveal and ride-along event. Maybe actually seeing the car in person will change some minds.
^^ THIS ^^^

There seems to be a fair amount of confirmation bias/psychological investment from the current owners. As you say it is hardly confined to the BRZ/86 though - the Corvette forums were awash with enthusiasts that insisted the car was ruined by the departure from round tail lights...

The meaningless samples of people I know that are in to cars but do not own a twin are all quite positive on the new model. I would love to see real data.

Time will tell which model is viewed as being better - someone was mentioning in one of these threads about the saga of the Mustang design; looking back with decades of perspective the "best" design appears strongly corollated to age group or someone's first.

I remain very interested in seeing the new design in person and driving it!
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nextcar For This Useful Post:
StE92ve (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 10:30 AM   #1073
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
^^ THIS ^^^

There seems to be a fair amount of confirmation bias/psychological investment from the current owners. As you say it is hardly confined to the BRZ/86 though - the Corvette forums were awash with enthusiasts that insisted the car was ruined by the departure from round tail lights...

The meaningless samples of people I know that are in to cars but do not own a twin are all quite positive on the new model. I would love to see real data.

Time will tell which model is viewed as being better - someone was mentioning in one of these threads about the saga of the Mustang design; looking back with decades of perspective the "best" design appears strongly corollated to age group or someone's first.

Just to throw this out there.
All of my car guy/gal friends think it's FUGLY.
That is over 30 people ranging in age from early 20's to mid 60's.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #1074
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post

critical to note here that the only reason those bloggers/reviewers were invited to the reveal event was because they are a service that inherently offers positive reactions. if they didn't, they would never be invited back to any subaru events.

so they cannot be reliably used for any metric except subaru's willingness to pay people to talk about their newest product.
Dadhawk (12-07-2020), PulsarBeeerz (12-06-2020), spike021 (12-06-2020), StE92ve (12-06-2020), Tcoat (12-06-2020), Vides990 (12-06-2020), Willpower (12-06-2020), x808drifter (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #1075
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
^That take is certainly a common trope about car reviewers, but are they really so worried about being blacklisted for making a few negative comments about a car's appearance? Are all those journalists/bloggers who have recently been making extremely negative comments about the massive grille on the newest BMWs being banned from launch and drive events by BMW? I don't think so.

That said, it's obvious that reviewers sometimes moderate and "encode" negative opinions to some extent so as not to seriously offend manufacturers, but it's usually easy enough to ferret out their real views with a careful reading. They may simply not comment on a negatively viewed characteristic at all, or use terms/phrases like "polarizing" or "you'll either love it or hate it".

The only person actually paid to talk about the new BRZ by Subaru at the event was Scott Speed - and his positive assessment certainly needs to be confirmed by others.

Last edited by Sport-Tech; 12-06-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:22 AM   #1076
beltax90

Drives: 2010 corolla
Thanked 1,798 Times in 780 Posts
well would you look at that.. some people like it, some dont.

hm. interesting.
beltax90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to beltax90 For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (12-06-2020), Lantanafrs2 (12-06-2020), spike021 (12-06-2020), StE92ve (12-06-2020), Tcoat (12-06-2020), Vides990 (12-06-2020), Willpower (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #1077
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
^^ THIS ^^^

LOL As soon as somebody that already owns ones says they don't like the new design the go to answer is it must be "confirmation bias/psychological investment". It can't possibly be that they simply don't like it because it is ugly as hell to them. If this had been the first version ever I can 100% guarantee that I would not have even considered buying it.
Of course the current owners like the current version. THAT IS WHY THEY OWN THEM. That does not for one second say that their opinion on the new is invalid because some some dumbass thinks the monstrosity it became looks good.
Doesn't matter what your group of friends think unless they go out and buy one. At least the people that bought the first ones voted with their wallet. We will see if the same happens with the new one. It should sell well if it comes with a flat brim cap and vape setup.
AnalogMan (12-06-2020), soundman98 (12-06-2020), ToySub1946 (12-07-2020), Vides990 (12-06-2020), Willpower (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #1078
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
LOL As soon as somebody that already owns ones says they don't like the new design the go to answer is it must be "confirmation bias/psychological investment". It can't possibly be that they simply don't like it because it is ugly as hell to them. If this had been the first version ever I can 100% guarantee that I would not have even considered buying it.
Of course the current owners like the current version. THAT IS WHY THEY OWN THEM. That does not for one second say that their opinion on the new is invalid because some some dumbass thinks the monstrosity it became looks good.
Doesn't matter what your group of friends think unless they go out and buy one. At least the people that bought the first ones voted with their wallet. We will see if the same happens with the new one. It should sell well if it comes with a flat brim cap and vape setup.
The subjective masquerading as the objective.
dpfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpfarr For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (12-06-2020), Tcoat (12-06-2020), Vides990 (12-06-2020)