follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List
timurrrr

Old 12-23-2022, 08:12 AM   #1051
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I own an 04 WRX and a 16 BRZ. So far no major issues. Knock on wood. Do the proper maintenance, drive your car hard but not abusive and just enjoy it. Worrying about warranties and such just sucks the fun out of the experience. Before long you are out of warranty anyway and it’s all on you. Life is not without risk. If you want to play you have to be prepared to pay.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 08:30 AM   #1052
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
the real question is if engine failure is a safety problem. that is where the nhtsa is going to be looking to force anyone to do anything.

generally, internal engine failure isn't. but if it starts on fire, or adds parts/fluids to the highway, it is.
NoHaveMSG (12-23-2022), norcalpb (12-24-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 12:14 PM   #1053
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
It went well for me But I somehow think that with the problem being about sealant, somehow I think the mechanics will be on point this time, even the toyota ones! One could only hope.

It doesn't require lots of engines to explode, it just requires enough complaints to have the nhtsa ask questions.

How many cars died to valve springs in the US, I know that Toyota (not to single them out) said there was none in Australia when they made the press release about the recall, 6 years after release, and 5 years after it was fixed in the assembly line.

I just think there are so many ways that these companies can get away with not reporting issues during teardowns, would some of the engine failures of Australian cars (there was 30k 86 sold here, not a small number) been due to the valve springs? I think so. Certainly they were aware of the issue very early on, and fixed it, so it seems they just waited until they had reached past the popularity of the car so as to not impact sales significantly.

Look just my opinion, but what can reporting it hurt, does not take long.
In the US of A the NHTSA is a SAFETY agency not a consumer advocate. They do not give one little bit of a shit how many people complain about something unless it is a safety issue. Even then they are not exactly fast to react (can you say Takata?). The valve spring recall on the '13s was NOT forced by the NHTSA nor from customer complaints. It was a voluntary recall done by Subaru and Toyota. It was just administered by the NHTSA since the manufactures deemed it a "safety" issue.
Complaining to the NHTSA about the possibility of having some sealant in your oil is like calling 911 because your cat is up a tree. They just won't care.
bcj (12-23-2022), Borrowed Time (12-24-2022), Dadhawk (12-23-2022), MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires (12-23-2022), NoHaveMSG (12-23-2022), norcalpb (12-24-2022), OkieSnuffBox (12-23-2022), soundman98 (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 02:17 PM   #1054
Squisher

Drives: 2022 Tacoma, 2023 gr86 on order
My personal hope is that the rtv 'issue' scares enough people away that I can actually buy one of these cars. I've heard these cars are basically a ticking time bomb, steer clear!
Squisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Squisher For This Useful Post:
bcj (12-24-2022), DylanJZA (01-05-2023), Dzmitry (12-28-2022), Sport-Tech (12-25-2022), Tcoat (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 08:00 PM   #1055
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
My personal hope is that the rtv 'issue' scares enough people away that I can actually buy one of these cars. I've heard these cars are basically a ticking time bomb, steer clear!
What has been your problem buying one?
Old 12-23-2022, 08:33 PM   #1056
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
What has been your problem buying one?
Canada in general, and BC in particular, have had a hard time getting them. We only receive about 10% a year of what the US does and with all the delays and shortages that has probably shrunk even more as the US market will always take precedence over us. Cars are a volume business and unfortunately we just don't have the population to make us a high priority.
The few that have been brought in have had the majority alloted to Ontario and Quebec. In a "normal" market the BC dealers could make trades or request cars from the areas receiving them but since the demand is so high and supply so low that isn't happening these days.
bcj (12-24-2022), OkieSnuffBox (12-25-2022), soundman98 (12-24-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 08:38 PM   #1057
Squisher

My location I believe, and my impatience. I've only been waiting five and a half weeks. Just not used to this market despite having just bought a new Tacoma. Our 'factory order' Tacoma was sold to us in 9days. Our exact spec we had requested. So now I'm spoiled.

In all seriousness I have been paying close attention to everything I can about the rtv issue and my plan is to monitor my oil filters by cutting them open which I have done many times throughout the past and if there turns out to be any serious run on rtv issues I'm more than prepared, capable, and equipped to pull the pan myself and see what's what. For others less equipped or inclined to pull wrenchs I could see it being a real concern if looking at long term ownership past the warranty period.

I see a lot of people here and there complaining that there isn't a proper gasket on this oil pan. I don't see the big deal on that. Last oil pan gasket I did was about a year ago on a 2003 civic it was just rtv too. I've also done them with all different configuration of rubber, cork, fel pro gaskets and find a 'proper' gasket a little more finicky really. But it's really neither here nor there, gasket or rtv. Both ways work.

But I also have no plans to track the 86. Just daily it and enjoy it a bit here and there. I'm not old but old enough for me my days of driving the rat snag right off a vehicle are mostly over. Just enthusiast back/mountain road stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Squisher For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 10:33 PM   #1058
Tcoat

Quote:
My location I believe, and my impatience. I've only been waiting five and a half weeks. Just not used to this market despite having just bought a new Tacoma. Our 'factory order' Tacoma was sold to us in 9days. Our exact spec we had requested. So now I'm spoiled.

In all seriousness I have been paying close attention to everything I can about the rtv issue and my plan is to monitor my oil filters by cutting them open which I have done many times throughout the past and if there turns out to be any serious run on rtv issues I'm more than prepared, capable, and equipped to pull the pan myself and see what's what. For others less equipped or inclined to pull wrenchs I could see it being a real concern if looking at long term ownership past the warranty period.

I see a lot of people here and there complaining that there isn't a proper gasket on this oil pan. I don't see the big deal on that. Last oil pan gasket I did was about a year ago on a 2003 civic it was just rtv too. I've also done them with all different configuration of rubber, cork, fel pro gaskets and find a 'proper' gasket a little more finicky really. But it's really neither here nor there, gasket or rtv. Both ways work.

But I also have no plans to track the 86. Just daily it and enjoy it a bit here and there. I'm not old but old enough for me my days of driving the rat snag right off a vehicle are mostly over. Just enthusiast back/mountain road stuff.
Bet you check the first and find some. After that none.
Old 12-24-2022, 10:58 AM   #1059
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
the real question is if engine failure is a safety problem. that is where the nhtsa is going to be looking to force anyone to do anything.

generally, internal engine failure isn't. but if it starts on fire, or adds parts/fluids to the highway, it is.
Sudden power loss while driving (as would result from an engine eating itself) is definitely a safety issue and recalls have been issued for just that. It doesn't matter whether it's due to mechanical failure, electrical issues or even a software glitch.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 01:10 PM   #1060
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
Sudden power loss while driving (as would result from an engine eating itself) is definitely a safety issue and recalls have been issued for just that. It doesn't matter whether it's due to mechanical failure, electrical issues or even a software glitch.
Even if the engine doesn't completely seize, a sudden loss of power with associated "complete engine failure" noises, potentially smoke, etc. can lead the average driver to panic and contribute to a crash.

If you've driven through multiple various vehicle failures before you'd probably take this in stride and maintain control, but that's hardly the norm among the driving public.

I grew up fairly poor, so one of the things included in my parental driver's ed was how to restart a stalled engine mid-left-turn with a sudden loss of power steering in a 2-ton sedan large enough to rival the footprint of a modern full-size truck. In my later youthful exuberance (outright stupidity) I blew a motor, completely gutted a CV joint, launched a car high enough to have it smash an oil pan, and other "useful" experiences that make even fairly uncommon failures something easy to take in stride.

Most people (intelligently or unimaginatively) have had less exciting experiences behind the wheel, and the Risk Management types at a manufacturing business have to worry about those most of all.

"What's the dumbest thing someone could do when this happens? Okay, now if we (safely) assume that's going to be a statistically-significant reaction, what's our plan for mitigating that risk?"
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 07:04 PM   #1061
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
what spec did you get? toyota generally doesn't do 'orders', they generally just build to spec, and the dealers trade to what they really want.

except for a 4dr long bed manual.
Old 12-25-2022, 06:39 PM   #1062
Squisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
what spec did you get? toyota generally doesn't do 'orders', they generally just build to spec, and the dealers trade to what they really want.

except for a 4dr long bed manual.
I had our salesman put in a request for a magnetic grey double cab short box sport premium with standard. And as luck would have it someone else at our dealer had ordered the same thing, it was there when we placed our 'order' sitting in the delivery room, we could look at it but we're asked not to touch or sit in it. Then the customer who had ordered it backed out without even test driving it. It was nine or ten days after making the request and deposit that we took possession. Pretty lucky in the current market for my location.
The Following User Says Thank You to Squisher For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-26-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 09:18 PM   #1063
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Complaining to the NHTSA about the possibility of having some sealant in your oil is like calling 911 because your cat is up a tree. They just won't care.
That's not what I said.

I said if you have the issue then make a complaint, its pretty simple. I shouldn't have to spell it out again.

Not sure why all the attempts as dismissing it, that is exactly what the complaint system is for. You can dismiss it, call it useless, but I feel like your just pushing back for no reason, there is nothing negative and only potentially a positive for making these complaints to what is a real and in Toyota mechanics words - an issue that contributes to engine failure.

Why are people so defensive...

Last edited by Blighty; 12-26-2022 at 09:30 PM.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 12:29 AM   #1064
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
That's not what I said.

I said if you have the issue then make a complaint, its pretty simple. I shouldn't have to spell it out again.

Not sure why all the attempts as dismissing it, that is exactly what the complaint system is for. You can dismiss it, call it useless, but I feel like your just pushing back for no reason, there is nothing negative and only potentially a positive for making these complaints to what is a real and in Toyota mechanics words - an issue that contributes to engine failure.

Why are people so defensive...
That is EXACTLY what you have said.
Nobody is defensive.
You are suggesting an action that is a total waste of time is all.
They do not care if your engine MAY die they only do if it DOES die and creates a safety issue. If that happens THEN call them. IF you live in the USA!

Tags
oh no not again