follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 03-30-2016, 05:05 PM   #995
CarzCarzCarz

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Are there any ways to get more angle from a stock car?
CarzCarzCarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:46 PM   #996
DriftinFRS

Drives: 2014 Scion Frs Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal80six View Post
Anyone on here drifting a boosted 86??

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Im currently drifting boosted. Only one event on it though because i got it done at the end of the season last year. No oil cooler was needed at 280whp yet... im currently upping the boost. Car is at Drift Office getting injectors flex fuel, boost controller and a tune. Excited to see how it performs... I am worrid about my axles though
DriftinFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DriftinFRS For This Useful Post:
SoCal80six (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 04:55 PM   #997
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarzCarzCarz View Post
Are there any ways to get more angle from a stock car?
Megan tie rods are the cheapest and easiest solution. Otherwise, you're looking at modifying the knuckles.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
CarzCarzCarz (04-01-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #998
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
So I have to say, I'm impressed with the megan rack ends.

The do increase angle by what I'd say quite a bit. The 1" gap or so that i had between my wheel and swaybar now rubs. While its April here in NY, we got some snow today and i was playing around and was giddy; it just felt so much better.

Also, I took a picture of them (stock and megan) side by side. unfortunately like an idiot while in the zone, we did not take angle measurements on the car before and after.. I thought it was extending the rod; though after seeing it, it makes more sense; it simply changes the pivot point to allow more angle; much like rack spacers on an S13 as i understand it.

I also corner corner balanced my car. I would highly suggest everyone do the same. A friend of mine has a legit set of scales/camber/toe/bumpsteer tools so we decided to do a full alignment and corner balance with all my parts.

Firstly; depending on your car, your dampers, you the driver and your level of OCD or need for that stance life, if the potential of uneven ride height bothers you then its not for you..

However if you want a car that feels extremely stable and exactly the same in both directions, well then you should deff do a corner balance. While I don't condone messing around on the street, I was able to go into an old commerical building lot and whip the car around on dry pavement (day before the snow) I honestly have never felt so "confident", like the car did not get twitch, it transitioned in a manji better than it ever has.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
2015firestormFRS (02-03-2017), CarzCarzCarz (04-05-2016), gatorbushmen (04-04-2016), tato.valverde (04-05-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #999
CarzCarzCarz

Thank you Shady195 for the informative post above, from this I've ordered a set of the megan rod ends. I'll try to take pics of my wheel spacing and whatnot when I install them.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #1000
tato.valverde

Drives: Scion FRS RS1.0,Mazda MX-6 2.5i 4WS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarzCarzCarz View Post
Thank you Shady195 for the informative post above, from this I've ordered a set of the megan rod ends. I'll try to take pics of my wheel spacing and whatnot when I install them.
Please do so! I'm trying to figure out if with my wheel setup it's worth it going with Parts Shop Max angle kit or not. This would be the other option if pbm can't cut it
tato.valverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #1001
CarzCarzCarz

It might be a little while before I get a chance to do the install, as I'll be out of town soon. But I will do my best when I do get around to it.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #1002
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tato.valverde View Post
Please do so! I'm trying to figure out if with my wheel setup it's worth it going with Parts Shop Max angle kit or not. This would be the other option if pbm can't cut it
I'd recommend holding off. You can spend that money on a lot of other worthwhile parts to make your experience better. While the PBM/Driftknuckle/Wisefab kits will give you more angle; Without boost these cars don't really lack the power to push that kind of angle. They will certainly help make a save if you over extend yourself; but your not going to have the power to hold it IMO. The car struggles enough if you watch some of the videos in hear, requires a lot of clutch.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
tato.valverde (04-11-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #1003
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tato.valverde View Post
Gotta run pretty small wheels and tires and expect to have some poke when running the PBM kit on stock fenders. Anything more than like 17x8 is really pushing what you can make fit under the OEM fenders without some poke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
I'd recommend holding off. You can spend that money on a lot of other worthwhile parts to make your experience better. While the PBM/Driftknuckle/Wisefab kits will give you more angle; Without boost these cars don't really lack the power to push that kind of angle. They will certainly help make a save if you over extend yourself; but your not going to have the power to hold it IMO. The car struggles enough if you watch some of the videos in hear, requires a lot of clutch.
This^^^

The PBM kit is great, but all the steering angle in the world is useless if you have a car that's unable to keep the wheel speed up. You can run stock power with the PBM kit and throw massive hangle, but you won't be able to hold the wider lines. You'll find yourself with too much forward bite and you won't be able to maintain the line you want.

In my opinion, just cutting the OEM knuckles or doing the tie rods is the way to go if you plan on staying N/A. If you intend to go with forced induction and really want the maximum angle possible, then PBM would be my first choice. Though I would add Todoroki 30mm front fenders or something, because seeing that Teurck'd bullshit front fender fitment pisses me off.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Shinchu (04-17-2016), tato.valverde (04-11-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #1004
gatorbushmen
Amateur Drifter

Drives: '13 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
I was really happy with how the car performed at my first drift event with the PBM kit installed. I was able to hold angle at the top of 3rd, surprisingly. Granted, the car could definitely use more power to take full advantage of the the kit's ability, but if you have the right technique you can drift full lock no problem.

It does depend on the tracks you drift at though..... The only way I wouldn't recommend PBM is if you drift at tracks that you have a hard time revving the car out, or not being able to get enough entry speed. Entry speed becomes such an important factor when dealing with a low powered car with alot of angle.

Regardless, I respectfully disagree with those that justify not getting PBM because the car doesn't have enough power. I went from having just megan inners, to a custom knuckle/outer tie rod setup, to PBM and it is by far the best mod you can do once you feel confident enough in your drifting.

Here is some video of my first event with the kit installed. Fast forward to 8:50 for my best run.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8jPoY0U_F0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8jPoY0U_F0[/ame]
Old 04-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #1005
gatorbushmen
Amateur Drifter

Drives: '13 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
because seeing that Teurck'd bullshit front fender fitment pisses me off.
I have tuerck fitment, sorry to piss you off. I'll get some type of over fender one day
Old 04-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #1006
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbushmen View Post
I have tuerck fitment, sorry to piss you off. I'll get some type of over fender one day
Lol it's all good. I'm talking strictly from a style standpoint, which is obviously subjective. I just am not presonally a fan of the way it looks. I blame Subaru for putting in the wide ass boxer engine and giving such little clearance for increased angle up front.

On another note, I've seen a couple of your videos on YT. Cool to see somebody progress with their build and drive it. Nice change of pace from the other channels I see of people doing nothing but vlogs driving on city streets in traffic.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:18 AM   #1007
Shinchu

Drives: 2016 FR-S Asphault MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Im following gatorbushmen on yt also. Good vids dude! I have been out of the drift game for a while and i even checked your first drift event suggestions just to see if i remember what to bring. I would also add to that list... fluids! For the car and yourself. Good vids though man you are catching on and really doing well!
Oh yeah and i think my helmet is a snell 2000 lol im old...

As for the angle, yeah i would really say the pbm angle kit is not for beginners. Learn t h e car with stock angle first, then get the tie rods after a while.
I really just want the rods and try relocating the swaybar mount since that binding would piss me off.

Man i need to get to an event. Easiest thing is thursday nights in riverside but thats a mofo when i work in san diego at 6am lol otherwise i need to look for moto's events.

http://www.poweredbymax.net/
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #1008
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I've got the PBM kit and it looks like I will need wider fenders to fit any tire bigger than 215 under there. I test fitted my 18x9.5 wheels and I didn't dare try driving on them because I knew they would rip off the fenders.

I'm looking at the Todoroki fenders, but it's hard to justify the $1200 price tag and I worry 30mm might not be enough clearance. I'm tempted to just order the Rocket Bunny front fenders since they're only $500, but that would probably look really goofy.

The worst part is that until I figure out this fender problem, I can't track or drift my car
chaoskaze (04-25-2016)