follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #981
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosmiths View Post
LOL something better or equal to HC+800 with less squeal.

Sent from my phone. Might have typos. Sorry.
Try Club Racers, but properly bed them. You've already heard 999 on my car...
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
retrosmiths (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #982
retrosmiths

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Try Club Racers, but properly bed them. You've already heard 999 on my car...
Cool. I'll get CR's after I run these pig pads to the ground.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #983
JDKane527

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
-3 to -4 front camber
-2 to -3 rear camber
0 toe

That ballpark fits most "track" BRZ/FRS. If you're street driving as well, you'll probably need to compromise on something unless you care more about performance than tire life. (We're talking maybe a 30% decrease in life at most)
I have heard from some that this car likes more rear camber. I'm at -3 front and -2.5/-2.7 rear w/o any adjustments in the rear and 0 toe all around. Would you recommend trying equal camber -3 F/R or go with a degree less camber in the rear, -3/-2 F/R?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #984
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RehabJeff86 View Post
Ya dont study my line in the video, I had to constantly change the driving line due to slow traffic and also make room for high power to pass, wish i hv a good video to show haha

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkfQ

Edit: there are few clean laps around half way of the video after all traffic cleared and ya I was back to my usual driving line.
You guys have distinctly different approach to turn 1 and 2. He stays wide on 1 then come inside more on 2 while you keep on the inside approaching 1 then go wide entering the hairpin with a late apex. He seems to kinda double apex the Andretti turn. I wonder who is carrying more speed exiting the hairpin? Very nice. you guys look like you are going the same pace using different lines, tho you look like you are using more tire than he is. Just my newb observations.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #985
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
You guys have distinctly different approach to turn 1 and 2. He stays wide on 1 then come inside more on 2 while you keep on the inside approaching 1 then go wide entering the hairpin with a late apex. He seems to kinda double apex the Andretti turn. I wonder who is carrying more speed exiting the hairpin? Very nice. you guys look like you are going the same pace using different lines, tho you look like you are using more tire than he is. Just my newb observations.
I miss the first apex in T2 on purpose, and trailbrake into the corner.
solidONE (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #986
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDKane527 View Post
I have heard from some that this car likes more rear camber. I'm at -3 front and -2.5/-2.7 rear w/o any adjustments in the rear and 0 toe all around. Would you recommend trying equal camber -3 F/R or go with a degree less camber in the rear, -3/-2 F/R?

Thanks
More rear camber = more rear cornering grip, less "exit under power" grip.

Our settings are based on wear patterns and pyrometer readings. As always, YMMV.
JDKane527 (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #987
ddeflyer

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Turn 2 at MRLS has lots of different lines, all of which are valid; it is just one of those kinds of corners. Makes it really interesting when you have a coach one day tell you a different line from the coach the day before

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddeflyer For This Useful Post:
solidONE (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #988
orthojoe

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Quote:
What you are seeing is my failed attempts at doing a double apex through turn 2. It's tough getting the car setup in a straight braking line through the first apex. With a double (semi) apex, I do find that I gain a lot of ground on guys doing a single apex because you are braking deeper into the turn. Since then, I've figured things out better, but with my boxster. I do late apex 2 and 3, which allows as much velocity as I can exiting the corner. It's all about exit speed. Rehabjeff is running 225 width BFG rivals (1.1-1.2G) on his FRS, and I'm running 215 width MPSS (0.9-1.0G) in the BRZ. Jeff seems to have mastered turn 6, whereas that is my weak turn. It's a very awkward turn for the 86. Do you shift to 4th then back down to 3? Do you stay in 4th? Do you stay in 3rd and bounce off the limiter? Jeff stays in 3rd, Pobst stays in 4th. I'm all over the place...
solidONE (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 09:31 PM   #989
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
What you are seeing is my failed attempts at doing a double apex through turn 2. It's tough getting the car setup in a straight braking line through the first apex. With a double (semi) apex, I do find that I gain a lot of ground on guys doing a single apex because you are braking deeper into the turn. Since then, I've figured things out better, but with my boxster. I do late apex 2 and 3, which allows as much velocity as I can exiting the corner. It's all about exit speed.
Yep it looks like you make up a lot of ground on rehabjeff with your double apex line. He pulls on you in the straight, but you're constantly at his rear bumper by the end of T2/3. There's a similar hairpin at one of the local tracks I go to. Thanks for the video -- it's given me an idea on a different way to attack that turn.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
orthojoe (04-29-2014), solidONE (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 11:00 PM   #990
dp1
driving smoother faster

Drives: Sold
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
More rear camber = more rear cornering grip, less "exit under power" grip.

Our settings are based on wear patterns and pyrometer readings. As always, YMMV.

I just came back from Watkins Glen with your recommended -3.4f and -2.7r camber with zero toe - fantastic setup for my needs. Wasn't pushing hard as it was my first time on track with the FR-S but I managed to get within half a second from my fastest time in Lotus Elise...and I barely heard the toyo ra1 tires...and Ohlins R&T worked great...and there is so much more left to explore...love this car on track and it's great as a daily with Ohlins.

AP Racing Sprint BBK with XP12 all round worked great for late and hard braking...and the Jackson Racing SC worked great.

Thanks for your suggestion @CSG Mike!
dp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dp1 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-30-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 11:44 PM   #991
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Seems to be the popular choice of line through there, but do you also stay inside before hitting T1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
What you are seeing is my failed attempts at doing a double apex through turn 2. It's tough getting the car setup in a straight braking line through the first apex. With a double (semi) apex, I do find that I gain a lot of ground on guys doing a single apex because you are braking deeper into the turn. Since then, I've figured things out better, but with my boxster. I do late apex 2 and 3, which allows as much velocity as I can exiting the corner. It's all about exit speed. Rehabjeff is running 225 width BFG rivals (1.1-1.2G) on his FRS, and I'm running 215 width MPSS (0.9-1.0G) in the BRZ. Jeff seems to have mastered turn 6, whereas that is my weak turn. It's a very awkward turn for the 86. Do you shift to 4th then back down to 3? Do you stay in 4th? Do you stay in 3rd and bounce off the limiter? Jeff stays in 3rd, Pobst stays in 4th. I'm all over the place...
From a very fast AMA pro, not me. He says to always stay in the higher gear when you are between gears. It will force you to carry more speed out of necessity. Sound like good advice to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Yep it looks like you make up a lot of ground on rehabjeff with your double apex line. He pulls on you in the straight, but you're constantly at his rear bumper by the end of T2/3. There's a similar hairpin at one of the local tracks I go to. Thanks for the video -- it's given me an idea on a different way to attack that turn.
There is a spot where you can apply this approach at SoW going CCW, I do this in GT6 in a bone stock '12 FR-S seems to be the fastest way around there. If only I had the 'Ca-hones' to do it in real life. IF you dont slow down fast enough you will get launched out of a banked turn sideways. Should be worth some good air time. lol I seem to be about 13-15 seconds faster in GT6 than real life with better tires and alignment....
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:52 PM   #992
orthojoe

Quote:
From a very fast AMA pro, not me. He says to always stay in the higher gear when you are between gears. It will force you to carry more speed out of necessity. Sound like good advice to me.
Makes sense, the problem is the exit of turn 6 is a BIG uphill climb. When I stay in 4th, I am lugging up the hill because I don't carry enough speed through the corner like Pobst does. Staying in 3rd allows you to keep the momentum going, but you sacrifice some peak speed coming into 6. If I sharpen my line, then maybe I can carry the speed through 6 that allows me to stay in 4th like Pobst.
solidONE (04-30-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 11:57 PM   #993
orthojoe

Quote:
Well that makes me feel better that I can't manage to hit the first apex end up trailbraking. I guess that's a good way to do it, then. LOL

I try to mimic this guy, but can't :

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xztMgB3Moqo"]Porsche (GT3) RS 4.0 - Fastest lap at Laguna Seca 1:33.1 (Perhaps a lap record?) - YouTube[/ame]

I'm a bit better here, but still not hitting it like the guy above

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onaez6jCzNU"]1:41 lap time @ Laguna Seca with a Porsche Boxster Spyder - YouTube[/ame]
Porsche (05-01-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 12:27 AM   #994
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
1: what are the red things under your gas pedal?

2: did you ever figure out what the white car was?

3: the GT3 RS driver had a $500 bet on the line for his lap time. Do you feel like that bet provided additional motivation to push his car and himself harder than he otherwise would have? Please cite your sources using mla format.

Awesome video, that looks like a lot of fun.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote