follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #85
ChrisD

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelr32 View Post
Surely the guy who's built your engine can sort this out? It's gonna be something silly!!
You were definitely right about it being something silly haha there were two issues, both equally stupid.

Firstly, the Start/Stop button wasn't starting the car because it wasn't connected to anything We removed that button and the trim around it when we installed the hydraulic handbrake, and at some point we put it back but didn't reconnect all the electrical cables to the back of it as we were just seeing if it all fit properly. Apparently then we all completely forgot about it...

Second issue was that there was no fuel in the tank. Took us longer than I'd like to admit to realise this.

As for Ricky (the guy who built the engine), I gave him a ring before we realised what the problem was and he actually happened to be staying at a hotel just round the corner from me (which is a weird coincidence, as he lives about 200 miles away from me). He was kind enough to come round and give us a hand sorting everything out. We had an issue with the serpentine belt jumping off the crank pulley the first few times we fired it up and he sorted that out and stuck around until we had got everything to a good state.

So yeah as it stands now, the engine is back in, all seems to be running ok, just need to put it through a few more heat cycles and then take it to Fensport to be mapped for more boost (which is already booked in for early Feb)
AVO Stage 4 Turbo, Carrillo forged con rods, 10:1 CR Carrillo pistons, AVO 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Helix clutch, TheDriveShaftShop drive shafts, lightweight flywheel, NamelessPerformance hydraulic hand brake, KW V3 coilovers... and lots of other little bits
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisD For This Useful Post:
Draco_PR23 (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #86
Nigelr32

Drives: '14 GT86 project, '13 GT86 DD
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nice one Chris, hope it all goes well for you from now on. look forward to some dyno graphs!!
Old 01-27-2016, 07:32 PM   #87
Arcainum

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2007 FJ cruiser
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
just watched your video. very cool seeing things progress on the forum, then getting a recap on your YouTube channel!
Arcainum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcainum For This Useful Post:
ChrisD (01-27-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #88
ChrisD

Changed the oil after running it through a few heat cycles over the last couple of days as recommended, then took it for a test drive today... and all seems good haven't thrashed it yet but so far so good. Looking forward to getting it mapped next week
AVO Stage 4 Turbo, Carrillo forged con rods, 10:1 CR Carrillo pistons, AVO 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Helix clutch, TheDriveShaftShop drive shafts, lightweight flywheel, NamelessPerformance hydraulic hand brake, KW V3 coilovers... and lots of other little bits
Old 01-30-2016, 08:11 PM   #89
Koj

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Nice, let s wait the reprog
Koj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:03 AM   #90
Tim Radley

Drives: GT86, SQ5, RS3
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
Changed the oil after running it through a few heat cycles over the last couple of days as recommended, then took it for a test drive today... and all seems good haven't thrashed it yet but so far so good. Looking forward to getting it mapped next week
Did you get it mapped and what were the results?
How are you enjoying it so far?
Old 02-29-2016, 09:08 AM   #91
ChrisD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Radley View Post
Did you get it mapped and what were the results?
How are you enjoying it so far?
The turbo bearing died when Fensport were mapping it... so had to wait a bit for a new turbo (went stage 4 instead of stage 3 this time as got a good deal on a stage 4 one).

Once that was sorted, they noticed oil building up in one of the cylinders. So I took it back to Ricky as I assumed it must be something to do with the engine rebuild, but we found it looks like the oil is coming from the intake manifold. Seems like the catch can Fensport installed as part of the original turbo installation is doing absolutely nothing (as it was bone dry and the intake manifold was covered in oil). Can even see oil stains on the inlet ports where it has run down into the cylinders.

So yeah... not having much luck so far lol Ricky has got the car this week to modify the breather system to try get this catch can to actually do its job, and also do another leakdown n compression test just to be sure its nothing internal. Then hopefully all being well, I'll get it back at the end of this week or early next week and can take it back to Fensport to get the final map done.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisD For This Useful Post:
Tim Radley (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #92
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
even if the leak down isn't the greatest, i wouldn't worry too much. the top rings still need to seat before that clears up.
@spitfire481
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #93
EdiVip

Drives: Mario
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What's the difference between stage 3 and 4? Where did U bought it, how much?
EdiVip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EdiVip For This Useful Post:
Harvie1031 (03-30-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #94
Tim Radley

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire481 View Post
even if the leak down isn't the greatest, i wouldn't worry too much. the top rings still need to seat before that clears up.
Rings fully bed-in within 10 minutes. Partially bed just rotating the engine by hand.
Leakdown should be around 3% on a fresh Snap-on leakdown tester if the bores are fresh on those CP's and providing the valves are sealed perfectly.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #95
Tim Radley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
The turbo bearing died when Fensport were mapping it... so had to wait a bit for a new turbo (went stage 4 instead of stage 3 this time as got a good deal on a stage 4 one).

Once that was sorted, they noticed oil building up in one of the cylinders. So I took it back to Ricky as I assumed it must be something to do with the engine rebuild, but we found it looks like the oil is coming from the intake manifold. Seems like the catch can Fensport installed as part of the original turbo installation is doing absolutely nothing (as it was bone dry and the intake manifold was covered in oil). Can even see oil stains on the inlet ports where it has run down into the cylinders.

So yeah... not having much luck so far lol Ricky has got the car this week to modify the breather system to try get this catch can to actually do its job, and also do another leakdown n compression test just to be sure its nothing internal. Then hopefully all being well, I'll get it back at the end of this week or early next week and can take it back to Fensport to get the final map done.
Odd that it's breathing that heavy as the stock setup just sucks into the intake manifold via a PCV. Hopefully the leakdown will tell you one way or the other. What condition were the bores like? Did they have a good hone for the new rings to bed into?
Old 03-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #96
Tim Radley

How did the leakdown test go? That would be a cool video for your engine builder to do for those that don't know what a leakdown test is
Old 03-19-2016, 04:49 AM   #97
Tim Radley

Any updates?
Old 03-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #98
ChrisD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Radley View Post
Any updates?
The oil issue was definitely because of oil being passed back into the inlet manifold through the PCV system instead of getting caught by the catch can. Engine builder quickly spotted and rectified this by changing the way the catch can hoses are set up (free of charge, even though it wasn't him that installed it originally - so thanks for that Ricky!).

Once that was all sorted it went back to Fensport for the final map. They did encounter some fuelling issues at very high RPM but got that sorted in the end and rang me yesterday to say it is all done. Apparently they've got it running 1.2 bar of boost (17 psi) through most of the rev range and said it pulls really well.

Picking it up on Tuesday and will be taking it to a rolling road day that the gt86 FB group has organised on the 27th so will see what power its making exactly. I'll update this thread with impressions of driving it once I get it back
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChrisD For This Useful Post:
CxG (06-26-2016), Harvie1031 (03-30-2016), Tim Radley (03-19-2016)