follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #85
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Not arguing with the TSB, but I can understand proper torquing of engine internals .... but precise torquing of the tail light is necessary?
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #86
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Joining the double tail swap club.. A single storm took care of both rather quickly.. Hairdryer barely helped:.. Swappy swappy time..
Old 12-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #87
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
Not arguing with the TSB, but I can understand proper torquing of engine internals .... but precise torquing of the tail light is necessary?
That's what the directions say. Here is the link again from the previous page:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21868

Scroll down to the "Tail Light Condensation" pdf and download it. When you open the pdf goto page 10. Not only does it clearly illustrate the order of the screws to be turned, but also the torque.

it says:

"Failure to follow the proper tightening sequence and torque specification will result in
damage to the new combination lamp. Starting with number 1, hand tighten each nut in order prior to
torquing them to the final specification. Torque the nuts down in the same order."

Seems pretty clear to me.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #88
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
That's what the directions say. Here is the link again from the previous page:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21868

Scroll down to the "Tail Light Condensation" pdf and download it. When you open the pdf goto page 10. Not only does it clearly illustrate the order of the screws to be turned, but also the torque.

it says:

"Failure to follow the proper tightening sequence and torque specification will result in
damage to the new combination lamp. Starting with number 1, hand tighten each nut in order prior to
torquing them to the final specification. Torque the nuts down in the same order."

Seems pretty clear to me.

May seem pretty clear to you ... but obviously not clear to all the supposed experts at the dealerships replacing the tail lights repeatedly. It is obviously a defect in design and I'm sure it will be corrected in future releases.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #89
avp1

Drives: Traded BRZ for Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
May seem pretty clear to you ... but obviously not clear to all the supposed experts at the dealerships replacing the tail lights repeatedly. It is obviously a defect in design and I'm sure it will be corrected in future releases.
There is a design or manufacturing error here. You can either continue replacing tail lights forcing Subaru eventually change it for good, or simply fill gap along glued line with transparent silicone from hardware store and starting enjoy your car. That was what I did with my Mazda RX8 many years ago after second tail light leaked and never had this problem again.
avp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #90
frsinpa

Drives: fr-s!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Update: still having issues with condensation and will have to get my tail lights replaced yet again. Ugh.

frsinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #91
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
There is the other other condensation thread where someone is making new seals and a shield for the back of the light out of neoprene. You may want to try this route.

I am in the process as well of the lemon law for my car as well. However my issues are

Cel issue, visit one
Vvti gears replaced for cel issues a week later(engine pulled a part to install) visit two
New ecu a week after that for the cel issue visit three
New transmission clutch and flywheel for fourth gear grinding
Third fuel pump
Tailight condensation

I found a lemon law specific lawyer. Just faxed over all the scans I had of my paperwork. They reviewed it without a fee. Told me I had a case and we are proceeding. No out of pocket from me as manufacturer pays her fees which are capped at a dollar amount. They of course only take cases they feel they can win.

Perhaps the op should bring his information to a lemon law attorney and start the process. My attorney said that of all the manufacturers toyota is the best to deal with. They said toyota is quick, dont push back much and are overall pretty great to work with. They said the domestic guys are horrible, they will counter with anything they can, drag things out for months and dont really seem concerned about customer service or standing by their product.

Good luck op. Ill probably start a thread on my lemon law once I get updates.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2