follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-25-2011, 03:11 AM   #85
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Yep. Sub thinks the Z is the best car in the world though.

I wish that Honda would have sold the Civic R here of that generation. I probably would have bought one. There's a full BMI episode about the car.
It's a bad ass sedan, that's for sure. Probably the best Macpherson setup honda ever. You can see that the similar ITR DC5 doesn't even put up a fight against it.

It's all been downhill since then
Old 11-25-2011, 04:46 AM   #86
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
What? You really think a Z is faster than an NSX?

Not to mention the Z wouldn't even last 5 more laps... brake and tires would give out.
So you can see into the future??? We need to be friends then!!!

Quote:
Yep. Sub thinks the Z is the best car in the world though.

I wish that Honda would have sold the Civic R here of that generation. I probably would have bought one. There's a full BMI episode about the car.
Just like you think your ITR or any high revving civic is the best car in the world also??? LMFAO!! If you actually watched the video you would see what I was talking about. The NSX is the only real match for the Z in that video. The other cars were just in the way.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:07 AM   #87
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post

Quote:
If that race was a little bit longer the Z would've win.
Apparently you can.

Quote:
If you actually watched the video you would see what I was talking about. The NSX is the only real match for the Z in that video. The other cars were just in the way.
Previous tests have proven brake fade and understeer will start creeping in after multiple laps. And even if it did hold up, NSX laps faster too. There's no way the Z would have caught up.

I'm not sure what the "version S" has over the base model in Japan. If it is the Anniversary edition model then it will be significantly more competitive around Tsukuba.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:43 AM   #88
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Quote:

Apparently you can.

Previous tests have proven brake fade and understeer will start creeping in after multiple laps. And even if it did hold up, NSX laps faster too. There's no way the Z would have caught up.

I'm not sure what the "version S" has over the base model in Japan. If it is the Anniversary edition model then it will be significantly more competitive around Tsukuba.
Previous test like what? C&D and Motortrend? And you act like the type R or the NSX doesn't have understeer issues either. I have seen a 350Z in one of the BM videos trailing a Cayman S my mere .00-seconds. I think you guys run with what you here and I'm pretty sure a Z isn't the only car that has problems after continuous usage. And for the record the NSX is my favorite car in the video. It's actually one of two(S2K) Honda's that I love.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:56 AM   #89
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Quote:
Previous test like what? C&D and Motortrend? And you act like the type R or the NSX doesn't have understeer issues either. I have seen a 350Z in one of the BM videos trailing a Cayman S my mere .00-seconds. I think you guys run with what you here and I'm pretty sure a Z isn't the only car that has problems after continuous usage. And for the record the NSX is my favorite car in the video. It's actually one of two(S2K) Honda's that I love.
...They don't. Nsx is a very neutral car and the narrator even mentions that the CTR had no trouble with understeer when overspeeding into a turn. And by previous tests I mean the ones BM conducted of the 350z before.

NSX has way higher standards than a cayman.

[u2b]-W6JcSzFqO8[/u2b]

BTW I love best motoring and no I won't stop referencing them
Old 11-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #90
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
As BMI and others have discovered, the stock Z doesn't last all that well on track. 370s aren't even included in lightning laps anymore because their brake problems put them into a wall.

Quote:
Just like you think your ITR or any high revving civic is the best car in the world also??? LMFAO!! If you actually watched the video you would see what I was talking about. The NSX is the only real match for the Z in that video. The other cars were just in the way.
Find me a place where I said that. I do prefer high revving engines because I think they are fun to drive. I also think the ITR is very fun to drive at a reasonable prices that's also still very economical, useful (4 seat plus hatchback), etc. I also would have test driven and maybe bought the CTR Sedan if it were ever sold here. Fun to drive, useful, cheap.. those are all wins in my book. It's why I'm looking at the FRS/BRZ after all, same formula. Oh and I have this on DVD so I've seen it many times before.

The Z was catching up to the Civic, but even with all of that time it had by iteself it wasn't making up enough space to win before it's weight started causing the problems people have seen with the stock cars on track before (of course that's assuming the car used was stock, I think BMI uses all stock cars during those tests though).

And there's zero chance it would have touched the NSX, who was holding back for much of the race anyways.

Oh, and the point that a CTR was less than 1/10th of a second slower than the Z version S considering the price difference between the cars if proof enough that Honda got the CTR more right than Nissan got that Z. It's almost as fast on track, has extra seats and doors and more storage and it's significantly cheaper....
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles

Last edited by Dave-ROR; 11-25-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #91
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Only when it's confirmed by real life, as I've seen first hand
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Old 11-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #92
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:

I think it's what was sold was the Track version in the US, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #93
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Damnit I've been wasting time wasting the CTR BMI episode.. now I want one again lol
Old 11-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #94
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Quote:
As BMI and others have discovered, the stock Z doesn't last all that well on track. 370s aren't even included in lightning laps anymore because their brake problems put them into a wall.

Find me a place where I said that. I do prefer high revving engines because I think they are fun to drive. I also think the ITR is very fun to drive at a reasonable prices that's also still very economical, useful (4 seat plus hatchback), etc. I also would have test driven and maybe bought the CTR Sedan if it were ever sold here. Fun to drive, useful, cheap.. those are all wins in my book. It's why I'm looking at the FRS/BRZ after all, same formula. Oh and I have this on DVD so I've seen it many times before.

The Z was catching up to the Civic, but even with all of that time it had by iteself it wasn't making up enough space to win before it's weight started causing the problems people have seen with the stock cars on track before (of course that's assuming the car used was stock, I think BMI uses all stock cars during those tests though).

And there's zero chance it would have touched the NSX, who was holding back for much of the race anyways.

Oh, and the point that a CTR was less than 1/10th of a second slower than the Z version S considering the price difference between the cars if proof enough that Honda got the CTR more right than Nissan got that Z. It's almost as fast on track, has extra seats and doors and more storage and it's significantly cheaper....
When did I ever say the Z was the best car in the world also? You mentioned that crap earlier.

If you also look at the best laps you would find that the Z is very close to the best lap of the NSX also. So your point is? NSX costs 90k and a 350Z costs 28k. If a Civic Type R was sold in the USA it would be as much or close to the price of a Mugen Si which is overpriced for a N/A 2.0 liter.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #95
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
When did I ever say the Z was the best car in the world also? You mentioned that crap earlier.

If you also look at the best laps you would find that the Z is very close to the best lap of the NSX also. So your point is? NSX costs 90k and a 350Z costs 28k. If a Civic Type R was sold in the USA it would be as much or close to the price of a Mugen Si which is overpriced for a N/A 2.0 liter.
Fair enough I mention it as it compares directly to the FT, you compare the Z to a base pos RSX automatic :P

Agreed NSX cost more. The Civic R was stated to be between 25-28, 25 would have been a great price.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #96
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Quote:
Fair enough I mention it as it compares directly to the FT, you compare the Z to a base pos RSX automatic :P

Agreed NSX cost more. The Civic R was stated to be between 25-28, 25 would have been a great price.
A 350Z doesn't compare with a FT. The FT competes with a Rx8 or a Miata, the Z is in a slightly higher league. I don't get why there is even a thread about vs the 370Z/Cayman S/Mustang V6 or 5.0? It's laughable at best.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #97
MoarGeesPlease

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gonna tackle this from the theoretical side, using some real experience...

So many of the reasons why I fell in love with my Integra are the reasons why I'm after the FR-S/BRZ
- Compact
- Tight handling
- Lightweight
- Zippy engine
- Snick-snick manual tranny
- Simple engineering (i.e. not complex, like a BMW)
- Easy to mod
- Inexpensive (relatively)

Essentially, they're both like a lean cut of meat; no excess fat. Although I have never driven one personally, the ITR is a legend for good reason. But I bet the FR-S/BRZ will eventually trump it in the overall performance envelope (albeit marginally), simply because it was designed from the ground up as a performance car for those to who enjoy driving whereas the ITR was working off a pedestrian platform.

Just as Dave-ROR and others have said: RWD or FWD be damned. You can set up the car to handle however you want it to handle.

My opinion...
Stock out of the box: ITR hand's down.

No reason not to chase after both though! :happy0180:
I just wish it had a hatchback...oh the shit I've been able to haul because of that lol

13 BRZ -
03.5 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
97 Acura Integra LS - R.I.P.
MoarGeesPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #98
The Robot Cow

Drives: 1985 Corolla Gt-s coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sorry for bring this thread back from the dead but this must be said.

Drive what you like driving.
Dont buy into what everyone else says let your emotions make the decision for you. Who cares if its your typical Honda Civic, or an ae86, or whatever. I'm not gonna lie i hated Hondas for a while but then one day i thought about it, hey these are actually pretty cool cars, who cares about the few douchebags that ruin the car? We all have our personal tastes. I like tacos and you may not like them, but im not gonna let the fact that you dont like tacos prevent me from eating them.
I think we let other people's idea of whats "cool" get to our heads a bit too much. We're all guilty of it to a certain degree. Stay true to yourselves and you'll enjoy your car a whole lot more.