follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #85
Alfie

Drives: Sheeveek Si
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

____"In essence they're identical, and identically excellent." Ollie Marriage TOP GEAR____
Alfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #86
m_life

Drives: Toyota Supra SZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordharding View Post
I wil imagine lots of people are like me in the uk ,take delivery of a new BRZ in summer or wait a bit longer
Or they will buy the 86 like me.
m_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #87
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_life View Post
Or they will buy the 86 like me.
I'll buy from whichever brand offers the better deal, because underneath the badge I know they are both developed, engineered and built by Subaru.

Shame on Toyota for trying to suggest otherwise.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #88
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
I'll buy from whichever brand offers the better deal, because underneath the badge I know they are both developed, engineered and built by Subaru.

Shame on Toyota for trying to suggest otherwise.

Let the flame wars begin again.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #89
Kunzite

Drives: Toyota Auris
Are you sure about that? I'd rather say Toyota was actively participating in developing the car, even if the result is (technically) mostly Subaru. Otherwise we would be looking at another Impreza.

Top Gear's articles are afaik the only ones that promotes these ideas (that Subaru did everything important - Toyota being only responsible for some lousy styling, and that Toyota tried hard to tell otherwise). And because they seem anything but impartial, I don't trust them on this matter.
They even admitted to be "paraphrasing". Does anyone have another source, with such claims made by Toyota?
Kunzite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #90
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunzite View Post
Are you sure about that? I'd rather say Toyota was actively participating in developing the car, even if the result is (technically) mostly Subaru. Otherwise we would be looking at another Impreza.

Top Gear's articles are afaik the only ones that promotes these ideas (that Subaru did everything important - Toyota being only responsible for some lousy styling, and that Toyota tried hard to tell otherwise). And because they seem anything but impartial, I don't trust them on this matter.
They even admitted to be "paraphrasing". Does anyone have another source, with such claims made by Toyota?

Yes there are other sources with same info. I don't have time to search for you but someone else might. They are here on the forum.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #91
cc700
i ride fixed gear bikes

Drives: 2.5rs
i dunno, i want to buy the brz now just because i want my money with subaru. it will go to toyota through their partial ownership anyway, but subaru should reap the benefits of what design and engineering they did do, whether it's just 'most' or all.
cc700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #92
CLTBRZ

Drives: DGM DZE/01
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc700 View Post
i dunno, i want to buy the brz now just because i want my money with subaru. it will go to toyota through their partial ownership anyway, but subaru should reap the benefits of what design and engineering they did do, whether it's just 'most' or all.
I don't really understand the "I'm buying (blank) brand because I want them to get my money instead" or "because Subaru engineered the vehicle" crowds. The models will perform similarly, with the biggest differences involving amenities (HID/LED strip lights, auto CC, etc.) and styling. Personally I prefer the subdued rather than aggressive styling of the BRZ vs. FRS, and the amenities included in the BRZ packages that will likely be unavailable with the FRS which resulted in my BRZ decision.

It's not like these are two completely different cars, but they're not so close that there wouldn't be some sort of a preference to buy one over the other - It's not the best comparison, since the vehicles aren't identical, but if you were looking at a BMW 1 series and a Mini and you liked the included amenities, price point, and styling of the Mini but you would rather give BMW your money (because they designed and engineered both vehicles), you'd buy the BMW instead? Nowhere in that equation, for me anyways, does it make sense to buy the BMW. I just don't get that logic at all.

Edit: fail grammar
CLTBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #93
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I heard all three cars driver different. The BRZ understeers, the FR-S is perfect and the 86 oversteers just a bit.

All three cars were all pre-production so we will not know till the final production models are released in June.

It all now depends on price.

If the FR-S is like $3k cheaper than a BRZ premium...then FR-S it is...but I want those HIDS, and dual zone AC with push start....hmmm. Come on subie...price the BRZ right!

Either way I will have one of these cars buy summer!
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #94
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
I heard all three cars driver different. The BRZ understeers, the FR-S is perfect and the 86 oversteers just a bit.

All three cars were all pre-production so we will not know till the final production models are released in June.

If the FR-S is like $3k cheaper than a BRZ premium...then FR-S it is...but I want those HIDS, and dual zone AC with push start....hmmm. Come on subie...price the BRZ right!

I thought it was the BRZ is perfect and the FRS oversteers. I remember reading that.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #95
Kunzite

Drives: Toyota Auris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Yes there are other sources with same info. I don't have time to search for you but someone else might. They are here on the forum.
I would appreciate, if anyone remembers at least where I should look. From what I can remember, their stance is more or less:
- the idea was Toyota's (most likely right, as a FR is so un-Subaru)
- the styling was Toyota's (most likely right, as it looks quite good IMO)
- the technical stuff was Subaru's and Toyota's, in this order - but they're not always very clear about it. Indeed, they seems to forget mentioning Subaru though they would repeat it was a team work (instead of Subaru's "we did everything!")
- Toyota tested the car on track quite a lot, and one doesn't test the styling
That's from the reviews (non-TopGear ones), the presentation movie and some interviews.
Kunzite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #96
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
I thought it was the BRZ is perfect and the FRS oversteers. I remember reading that.
No it's the other way around I read in a different thread. There was even a thread about the possibility of the FRS being to extreme for regular people because of its neutral handling characteristics and lift throttle oversteer.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #97
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
No it's the other way around I read in a different thread. There was even a thread about the possibility of the FRS being to extreme for regular people because of its neutral handling characteristics and lift throttle oversteer.
Ok. That could be the case and I am just confusing what I have read.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #98
Stigmaru

Drives: 2022 Halo White GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post

I think it was closer to BRZ is perfect, FRS understeers but all these are just rumors based on not enough driving around

I believe this car belongs to more Subaru than Toyota.

Toyota can go on and on about how it was their idea, because it honestly was. But it was more of something like this:

Toyota: I am imagining this dream car!!
Subaru: There we built it for you

In reality, the requirements were defined by Toyota: RWD, 4 passenger coupe, approx. 200HP. Everything else Subaru pretty much designed and built. In the end, Toyota can't lose no matter what because they own almost a quarter of Subaru stocks.
Stigmaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
86 review, 86 reviews, brz forum, brz forums, brz review, brz reviews, brz test drive review, brz test drive reviews, brz top gear, brz top gear review, brz us spec, fr-s review, fr-s reviews, frs review, frs reviews, scion fr-s review, scion fr-s reviews, scion frs review, scion frs reviews, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, subaru brz review, subaru brz reviews, subaru brz top gear, top gear brz, top gear brz review, top gear subaru brz, toyota 86 review, toyota 86 reviews, us spec brz, us spec subaru brz