follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List
finch1750, go_a_way1, undefindedt

Old 04-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #9591
driggity

Drives: Silver Coupe with a Boxer
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
New phone arrived.

That phone is so good looking, but I have become addicted to the battery life of my Moto Z Play. It's so nice when traveling. I don't know that I can go back to a normal phone.
driggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #9592
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,853 Times in 3,677 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
It's a mandatory update provided by my work. We have to get the newest galaxy devices for testing purposes.

Anyway, if it was up to me, I would stay on my S7. Been really happy with it and the camera.

However supposedly the camera in the S8 is even better so that's cool. But WTF at the lack of a physical phone button? Lame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driggity View Post
That phone is so good looking, but I have become addicted to the battery life of my Moto Z Play. It's so nice when traveling. I don't know that I can go back to a normal phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
My Key (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #9593
PandaBRZ

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by driggity View Post
You using a Moto mod for extended battery? I liked the Moto Z a lot but some of the Moto mods are rubbish. Looking at you, JBL speaker.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3 using Tapatalk

Read my writing about the BRZ on my website.
PandaBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #9594
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,797 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
New phone arrived.
I do like the Samsungs and the S8 is a nice phone, but I just could not take anything other than stock android now a days. The newer UIs are nice, but there's still hints of touchwiz here and there.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #9595
PandaBRZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
I do like the Samsungs and the S8 is a nice phone, but I just could not take anything other than stock android now a days. The newer UIs are nice, but there's still hints of touchwiz here and there.
My biggest issue is that Samsung phones slow down dramatically over time. I don't know what it is about their software.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #9596
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,399 Times in 5,262 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Motorola is the only non-stock Android UI I have loved. Samsung is terrible though has gotten better. OnePlus is ok but I hate this newest update lol.

Who the hell changes the screen to 5 icons across but widgets are still stuck at 4?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #9597
kakacarrotcake
Banned

Drives: Man
Garage
Send a message via ICQ to kakacarrotcake Send a message via AIM to kakacarrotcake Send a message via Yahoo to kakacarrotcake
Get a google phone! Nexus or Pixel. Stock android software, early updates, etc. Plus there are tons of custom UI's for the stock android software that allow you to modify the length of your widgets such as Nova Launcher.
kakacarrotcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #9598
PandaBRZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Motorola is the only non-stock Android UI I have loved. Samsung is terrible though has gotten better. OnePlus is ok but I hate this newest update lol.

Who the hell changes the screen to 5 icons across but widgets are still stuck at 4?
That's why I use Nova Launcher.

The Following User Says Thank You to PandaBRZ For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 04:01 PM   #9599
BigFatFlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakacarrotcake View Post
Get a google phone! Nexus or Pixel. Stock android software, early updates, etc. Plus there are tons of custom UI's for the stock android software that allow you to modify the length of your widgets such as Nova Launcher.
Which is why I have a Pixel now. I actually went from a Moto X (gen 1) to a 6P (too big), then to a 5X (too plasticy). Really like how the "small" and "big" pixels have basically the same specs apart from the screen and battery.

Been on project fi the last couple of months (coming from Verizon for 10+ years) and have been very pleased with it. Let's see how it does when I end up in the boonies.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
kakacarrotcake (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #9600
kakacarrotcake
Banned

Drives: Man
Garage
Send a message via ICQ to kakacarrotcake Send a message via AIM to kakacarrotcake Send a message via Yahoo to kakacarrotcake
Quote:
Which is why I have a Pixel now. I actually went from a Moto X (gen 1) to a 6P (too big), then to a 5X (too plasticy). Really like how the "small" and "big" pixels have basically the same specs apart from the screen and battery.

Been on project fi the last couple of months (coming from Verizon for 10+ years) and have been very pleased with it. Let's see how it does when I end up in the boonies.

I have the 6P. I bought it unlocked since i've been stuck with ATT until recently and have been considering project fi. If you don't mind me asking what's your average bill so far? I imagine it fluctuates a lot since they only charge by the gig.
kakacarrotcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #9601
BigFatFlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakacarrotcake View Post
I have the 6P. I bought it unlocked since i've been stuck with ATT until recently and have been considering project fi. If you don't mind me asking what's your average bill so far? I imagine it fluctuates a lot since they only charge by the gig.
Correct, it fluctuates based on usage, which is really nice. My wife and I usually average around 2-3 gigs a month which comes out to be around $80-$90/month. I have noticed iffy signal up in the hills though, but it's pretty good around metro areas.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #9602
Akira

Drives: 2016 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
I've been driving around the last few weeks without one and has a couple cops drive facing me without issues so far.
Thanks for the info!

I guess it really all depends then.
Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:34 PM   #9603
driggity

Drives: Silver Coupe with a Boxer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBRZ View Post
You using a Moto mod for extended battery? I liked the Moto Z a lot but some of the Moto mods are rubbish. Looking at you, JBL speaker.

I was planning on getting one of the extended batteries but the life on the Z play is great without it. It's a lot better than the regular Z or Z force. The Snapgragon 625 + 1080p screen + 3500+ mAh battery + mostly stock Android is a great combination. For normal use the 625 and well optimized software is plenty fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post

The minor tweaks that Motorola makes are mostly pretty nice, but the launcher they use is still bad.

Quote:
That's why I use Nova Launcher.

Nova Launcher is great. Some of the other third party launchers were pretty good but I haven't tried any of them in quite a while.

Quote:

I thought about project fi but some of the places I've regularly traveled for work have atrocious Sprint and T-Mobile coverage. For all my gripes about them Verizon has me hooked because of coverage.
driggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #9604
darkonion
Habitual Troublemaker

Drives: 1997 Subaru Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Yeah... the JBL speaker doesn't get used a lot. I got a good deal for my Moto Z last year through Best Buy. They threw in the Incipio backpack and the JBL speaker for free. I use the backpack all the time, but the JBL speaker just sits on my desk. Wish the battery capacity for the backpack was better, but can't complain for something that is free.
darkonion is offline   Reply With Quote