follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-13-2020, 06:42 PM   #8863
86driftcar

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hello all, Im not sure if this topic has been covered, it probably has but I cant find anything. I'm Supercharged with ECUTEK and my launch control is not working properly. I press clutch all the way down, go from neutral to 1st gear, hammer the gas and it revs up to designated RPM but then it just drops all the way down. The needle doesnt stay consistantly reving at the rev limiter.
Is this a software problem or did my tuner miss something?
86driftcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:37 PM   #8864
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86driftcar View Post
Hello all, Im not sure if this topic has been covered, it probably has but I cant find anything. I'm Supercharged with ECUTEK and my launch control is not working properly. I press clutch all the way down, go from neutral to 1st gear, hammer the gas and it revs up to designated RPM but then it just drops all the way down. The needle doesnt stay consistantly reving at the rev limiter.
Is this a software problem or did my tuner miss something?
From my understanding, you need to be fully stationary as LC doesn’t work if your rolling at 6+mph (although mph limit varies depending on LC settings). In first gear press clutch in 100% press throttle 100% it should rev up to and hold revs at LC rev limit. then quickly dump the clutch 100%. If it still doesn’t work when doing all this. It may be tune related and LC settings need changing.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
86driftcar (01-15-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 03:07 AM   #8865
tzbang

Drives: 2013 GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys, first trip out with the SC and I ran into a cop and got a ticket! LOL

Anyway.. it felt pretty good. Maybe not quite as strong as I was expecting. But I was coming from the PhantomESC so maybe the jump from that isn't so much. I also still haven't gotten all the coolant into the reservoir and I'm only on the base tune from Mike. I want all the coolant in before I send him any logs.

One thing that I've noticed.. and seems weird, is that in the instructions it said if anyone was running a 75mm pulley or smaller (I'm running 72.5) that the idler needs the shim added. I cannot understand how the pulley size would need the shim. But I put in in as instructed.

But the belt runs really close to the back of the idler pulley.. like flush. Removing the shim at least gives a tiny gap. With people reporting that the belt can throw off, I'm a bit worried about it. Throwing the belt would be highly inconvenient and annoying.

I'm wondering who runs the shim on what pulleys and whether I should be concerned with throwing a belt or not?

tzbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #8866
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzbang View Post
Hey guys, first trip out with the SC and I ran into a cop and got a ticket! LOL

Anyway.. it felt pretty good. Maybe not quite as strong as I was expecting. But I was coming from the PhantomESC so maybe the jump from that isn't so much. I also still haven't gotten all the coolant into the reservoir and I'm only on the base tune from Mike. I want all the coolant in before I send him any logs.

One thing that I've noticed.. and seems weird, is that in the instructions it said if anyone was running a 75mm pulley or smaller (I'm running 72.5) that the idler needs the shim added. I cannot understand how the pulley size would need the shim. But I put in in as instructed.

But the belt runs really close to the back of the idler pulley.. like flush. Removing the shim at least gives a tiny gap. With people reporting that the belt can throw off, I'm a bit worried about it. Throwing the belt would be highly inconvenient and annoying.

I'm wondering who runs the shim on what pulleys and whether I should be concerned with throwing a belt or not?
Don't use the shim. A lot of people myself included have switched to a different idler that is much wider so it wont slip off and larger diameter for better belt wrap on sc pulley when using smaller pulley.

Base map will be some what conservative, probably another 10whp on the table once he dials it in more. I know phantom esc makes some decent low end torque but not much top end. So once you punched it i bet it would give a little hit and push back into seat for a second but then kind of falls off at the top. Where as the sprintex will have a slightly better hit it’ll keep pulling at the top. So basically because you had ESC it won’t feel as big of difference compared to if you came from full NA. But you really need 69/70mm pulley with E85 or at least WMI to really make this kit shine and feel good.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:39 AM   #8867
86driftcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
From my understanding, you need to be fully stationary as LC doesn’t work if your rolling at 6+mph (although mph limit varies depending on LC settings). In first gear press clutch in 100% press throttle 100% it should rev up to and hold revs at LC rev limit. then quickly dump the clutch 100%. If it still doesn’t work when doing all this. It may be tune related and LC settings need changing.
I'm launching exactly how you've described and car is always stationary. My tuner said he will look into this issue and could possibly be Software related or he could have missed something. I'm trying to see if anyone else has had this issue in the mean time....
Old 01-16-2020, 02:51 AM   #8868
tzbang

Drives: 2013 GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Don't use the shim. A lot of people myself included have switched to a different idler that is much wider so it wont slip off and larger diameter for better belt wrap on sc pulley when using smaller pulley.
Cheers, I have ordered the Dorman pulley and the belt you mentioned earlier. But it will take a while to get to me down on my island at the bottom of the planet.
Seems really weird for Sprintex to tell us to put that shim in. I can’t understand why you’d ever want to space the belt out.

On the upside I drove it to work today and no issues. Except I can’t seem to get all the 2200mls of coolant into the reservoir. I’ve massaged the lines I can get to.. run the car etc but I still have about 700ml to go. Is there some trick to getting all the air out of the system?
tzbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:14 AM   #8869
kev0

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This is a really silly question but can someone link me a tool to open the SC cap where you pour in the oil? The manual doesn't state what size.. I purchased a 250ml refilling syringe (linked below) to easily siphon out the oil, but I need to get to step one first: Unscrew the gearbox oil cap.

I feel like this tool would be great. I'll just siphon everything out, pour 137ml of oil into the tube and use the tool to get the oil in. No other measuring tool needed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/250ml-Large...cAAOSwIgZd-HQE
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #8870
ptschmidt77

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Quote:
I'm launching exactly how you've described and car is always stationary. My tuner said he will look into this issue and could possibly be Software related or he could have missed something. I'm trying to see if anyone else has had this issue in the mean time....
I had this exact problem. Other symptoms were, no flat-foot shift, and being unable to select maps with the cruise control stalk while being able to change them via the ECUtek mobile app. It turned out to be an incomplete ECUtek flash. Reflashed and all was well again.
ptschmidt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ptschmidt77 For This Useful Post:
86driftcar (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 04:40 AM   #8871
86driftcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptschmidt77 View Post
I had this exact problem. Other symptoms were, no flat-foot shift, and being unable to select maps with the cruise control stalk while being able to change them via the ECUtek mobile app. It turned out to be an incomplete ECUtek flash. Reflashed and all was well again.
Maybe that's all that's required a reflash. I will make sure to bring it up to my tuner next time we speak. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:38 AM   #8872
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Maybe that's all that's required a reflash. I will make sure to bring it up to my tuner next time we speak. Thanks for your input.
Where you custom dyno tuned by a shop? Or e-tuned? Do you not have the tune file to try reflashing?
Old 01-18-2020, 11:38 PM   #8873
LOJOKO

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013 6AT& Honda Odyssey
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post
This is a really silly question but can someone link me a tool to open the SC cap where you pour in the oil? The manual doesn't state what size.. I purchased a 250ml refilling syringe (linked below) to easily siphon out the oil, but I need to get to step one first: Unscrew the gearbox oil cap.

I feel like this tool would be great. I'll just siphon everything out, pour 137ml of oil into the tube and use the tool to get the oil in. No other measuring tool needed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/250ml-Large...cAAOSwIgZd-HQE
A Allen key?I'm thinking of attaching a vacuum tube through the nozzle to drain the gas and reduce the pressure. PS The manual mark 157ml oil not 137ml?
kev0 (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 11:57 PM   #8874
kev0

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOJOKO View Post
A Allen key?I'm thinking of attaching a vacuum tube through the nozzle to drain the gas and reduce the pressure. PS The manual mark 157ml oil not 137ml?
Yeah I meant 157ml.
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:46 AM   #8875
brybot

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ 6MT
Garage
IC Kit link update since Ichi got me:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138486

All components present, willing to ship, no offer too low.
brybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:53 PM   #8876
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,471 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The tunner does need to enable these features. They are not on by default and often they will be only active on certain maps.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.