follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Old 01-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #8611
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys, fortunately im young, and unfortunately, im young however i have enough of crap like this to write a book about it. Still waiting to get my car back.

It gets better, as a result of her first accident, which totalled one of my other cars, she filed a lawsuit which will result in a large settlement. That settlement, should have gone to me, which would have negated the credit card debt, however, the overbearing evil wench has decided to keep it. Id be more upset about it, but im so unbelievably happy to have the demon spawn out of my life, its pretty easy to get past.
Allch Chcar (01-12-2013), M-17 (01-13-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 02:04 AM   #8612
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
If you have little to no credit history, credit card companies will usually offer you a $1,000 credit line. At 10%, that's $100 to spend each month, which is not even enough to cover gas.

If you want to build credit, use your card for your everyday purchases, but make sure to pay the balance due each month. Do this for about 6 months and your credit card company should automatically increase your line of credit. If not, call them and request for a line increase.

When you have a large credit limit, it can be very convenient. I view it as insurance for when I have to make an "emergency" purchase, such as, an unexpected medical bill. You obviously want to avoid financing with credit card companies due to their high interest rates, but the interest won't be that much if it's only for a short period of time. In fact, if you pay within the billing cycle, you're not charged any interest.
Exactly, I only got a 700 dollar credit line (no credit history) which got maxed out pretty easily. Heck, I checked and I hit 260 dollars (well over 30%) the other day, the only thing I can do about it is to pay it off completely before the deadline.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:07 AM   #8613
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Exactly, I only got a 700 dollar credit line (no credit history) which got maxed out pretty easily. Heck, I checked and I hit 260 dollars (well over 30%) the other day, the only thing I can do about it is to pay it off completely before the deadline.
If you've had the card for a couple of months already and have paid all your bills on time, then you can call and request for a line increase. More than likely, they'll grant the request.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #8614
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
If you've had the card for a couple of months already and have paid all your bills on time, then you can call and request for a line increase. More than likely, they'll grant the request.
How many months? I don't actually see this being useful since at this point I don't drop >500 bucks at a time on anything period (which would make that 700 dollar cap really annoying), but since it's a BoA card I can transfer money to the card any day and get my full 700 spending limit back in 3 days.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #8615
serialk11r

Garage
Oh, by the way the best credit card for cash rewards I believe is Bank of America Cash Rewards Priveliges, it's also 1, 2, 3% back on everything, groceries, gas, but then you get 50% bonus cash for depositing it into a BoA account (my card is 10% bonus), so it's 1.5%, 3%, 4.5% :O

75 dollar a year fee though, unless you have 50k in a BoA account, in which case 0 fee!

Some of those travel rewards cards might be better if you actually travel a lot though, and if you eat out a lot then there are cards that give higher rewards on restaurants like Amex.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #8616
ayau

Quote:
How many months? I don't actually see this being useful since at this point I don't drop 500 bucks at a time on anything period (which would make that 700 dollar cap really annoying), but since it's a BoA card I can transfer money to the card any day and get my full 700 spending limit back in 3 days.
There isn't an exact number. I'd probably say 4. Just be aware that getting a line increase will cause a "hard pull" on your credit report. They evaluate your current credit score in order to determine whether or not you're worthy of a credit line increase. You don't want too many pulls in a year.

If I were you, I'd look at other cards that can net you better rewards. The cards with sign up bonuses are usually the best ones. For example, spend $3k within 3 months will net you basically a free international plane ticket, or $500 cash back. This should be relatively easy if you have to pay for tuition/books (assuming your school allows tuition paid by credit cards). There are also other ways to hit the $3k goal and cost you very little out of your pocket. Hint: they involve buying gift cards or reload cards.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:21 AM   #8617
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
There isn't an exact number. I'd probably say 4. Just be aware that getting a line increase will cause a "hard pull" on your credit report. They evaluate your current credit score in order to determine whether or not you're worthy of a credit line increase. You don't want too many pulls in a year.

If I were you, I'd look at other cards that can net you better rewards. The cards with sign up bonuses are usually the best ones. For example, spend $3k within 3 months will net you basically a free international plane ticket, or $500 cash back. This should be relatively easy if you have to pay for tuition/books (assuming your school allows tuition paid by credit cards). There are also other ways to hit the $3k goal and cost you very little out of your pocket. Hint: they involve buying gift cards or reload cards.
I've only had my card for 2 months.

3k??? Where?? I looked through cards recently and it seems like the only ones I found with sign up bonuses required excellent credit :/

I do want a card with a signup bonus since I am getting that new watch and some clothes soon (decided to stop being cheap and cough up some money to get clothes that fit better), which will burn through 500 dollars really easy. My parents pay tuition so I can't really hit 3k.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:22 AM   #8618
ayau

Quote:
Oh, by the way the best credit card for cash rewards I believe is Bank of America Cash Rewards Priveliges, it's also 1, 2, 3% back on everything, groceries, gas, but then you get 50% bonus cash for depositing it into a BoA account (my card is 10% bonus), so it's 1.5%, 3%, 4.5% :O

75 dollar a year fee though, unless you have 50k in a BoA account, in which case 0 fee!

Some of those travel rewards cards might be better if you actually travel a lot though, and if you eat out a lot then there are cards that give higher rewards on restaurants like Amex.
Yeah, it all depends on your lifestyle. Certain cards will offer better rewards depending on what you like purchasing. For example, Chase Freedom gives has a cash back program that changes every quarter. For Jan-March, it's 5% cash back on Starbucks, gas, and drug stores. 5% rewards is usually the highest out of all the credit cards out there. There's no annual fee for the Freedom card either.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:23 AM   #8619
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
I started off with $500... Then after a month they gave me $800. After that month I ended up with $1500. Which isn't bad but its not a good thing either.

If you don't spend AT LEAST 30% of your credit line your credit score goes down (I had mine checked recently). For a month I nearly starved because my checking account only had $300 left and I had only spent a measly 50$ that month. It hit my credit score for a good 5 points. Its not much but its also relatively hard to build credit. :/

And you can't get any good loans if you don't have awesome credit.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Old 01-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #8620
ayau

Quote:
I've only had my card for 2 months.

3k??? Where?? I looked through cards recently and it seems like the only ones I found with sign up bonuses required excellent credit :/

I do want a card with a signup bonus since I am getting that new watch and some clothes soon (decided to stop being cheap and cough up some money to get clothes that fit better), which will burn through 500 dollars really easy. My parents pay tuition so I can't really hit 3k.
Chase Sapphire offers it, but you do need upper tier credit score as far as I know. First year annual fee is waived. I don't currently use this card though because the rewards aren't as good as the Freedom card.

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...red-card4.aspx

An even better card is the Chase Ink Plus, but you'll need to spend $5k in 3 months (not hard if you buy Vanilla reload cards).
Old 01-12-2013, 02:31 AM   #8621
ayau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
I started off with $500... Then after a month they gave me $800. After that month I ended up with $1500. Which isn't bad but its not a good thing either.

If you don't spend AT LEAST 30% of your credit line your credit score goes down (I had mine checked recently). For a month I nearly starved because my checking account only had $300 left and I had only spent a measly 50$ that month. It hit my credit score for a good 5 points. Its not much but its also relatively hard to build credit. :/

And you can't get any good loans if you don't have awesome credit.
There are other factors that go into your credit score. Credit rating agencies don't release the formula to the public because people would be able to game the system. While I can't prove that it didn't lower your score, I will say that majority of the people won't hit 30% of their credit line. We're talking about people who have $20-30k credit lines. It's not reasonable for an average person to have $9k in credit card expenses each month. You may say that a person with a 20-30k credit line will an annual income of 100k+, but in reality, a lot of credit card companies don't verify your income and it's completely possible for someone who makes 30k to have a large credit line.

5 points isn't a big deal if you're already above 720. At that range, you should be able to qualify for the lowest interest rates from most financial firms.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #8622
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, it all depends on your lifestyle. Certain cards will offer better rewards depending on what you like purchasing. For example, Chase Freedom gives has a cash back program that changes every quarter. For Jan-March, it's 5% cash back on Starbucks, gas, and drug stores. 5% rewards is usually the highest out of all the credit cards out there. There's no annual fee for the Freedom card either.
That card would be only used on the 5% cash back categories though, since the 1% reward sucks compared to BoA's Priveliges 1.5% or Cap1 Cash Rewards 1.5%. Still gotta get the good credit rating of course.

Man, I hate my school's Career Center thing. Their online system isn't letting me submit an application to BlackRock because it says my graduation date isn't in the specified range, even though it is. Stupid piece of crap.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:20 AM   #8623
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishbok View Post
congrats on the credit card, though be careful, 10% is a good rule to live by, you can go up to 30% but thats only in emergency situations, like an ER visit. My ex decided to leave me with 10k in credit card debt as a final F-U to me, as if I deserved that and the wrecked FRS. women are just evil. Luckily im young enough I should be able to recover relatively quick, but its still an unbelievable account of pure female maliciousness.

is there anything you can do about that? small claims court or anything?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:27 AM   #8624
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxgoose View Post
is there anything you can do about that? small claims court or anything?
Well, it would be a very thin case seeing as how we were together, and i have no documented evidence of the expenses being labelled as a loan.

The thing about small claims court and suing people like her, is that the court can rule in your favor but the court can not make her pay. Even if you win the case, there is absolutely nothing you can do to enforce the ruling.

Tags
221whp, :popcorn:, autobahnned, bringbackthebutts, brucelee, chucknorris, cutiepiepoppoppocorn, docking and snoodling, don'tbesadintotheocean, epic funnies, everyoneignoresmyposts, fuck yeah, funny thread tag, go_a_way1 was here, go_a_waycopiedspecialk, hey youse guys!, hoonigans, i am supreme., i like chocolate milk, i like to poop a lot, i like turtles, ichitaco, insertjokehere, invadethistread39erstyle, kr-s have my babies, kr-s is a faaggot, kr-s is a loser, mythbeliever, myunclesaid..., only the strong survive, postheredontbotherashrink, rules_of_nature, sklimo liked it, skylineislyfe, special_k was here, tagageddon 2016, thetagofreason, titsorgtfo, troz, whathappenedtothetags?