follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #71
dilly-o

Drives: 1996 300ZX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
High range NA will have 220~260 hp (or make it 2.2~2.5L w 280hp) no lagging redline all the way to 9.2k rev engine, performance suspension w brakes. Price tag around $26k~$28k
i dont think you can get numbers like that from 4 cylinders without boost. S2000 is the only thing that comes close.

i see your point about the NSX, that a lightweight chassis can overcome a small engine. Even then youll need at least 260 HP to give yourself a chance against the Z or a V8 mustang. i think the current WRX motor would be a great benchmark. drop the displacement from 2.5 to 2.0 and add direct injection from toyota's cylinder heads, maybe you get similar output and better economy. turbo doesnt add too much weight. then you have competitive speed, with light weight and great handling as the trump card.

fyi, the new Hyundai Sonata will have a DI 2.0T with ~274 HP and 34 MPG on the highway on 87 octane. unreal. i reckon its a matter of time until you see that in the Genesis Coupe.
http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/so...rst-drive.html
dilly-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #72
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,096 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilly-o View Post
i dont think you can get numbers like that from 4 cylinders without boost. S2000 is the only thing that comes close.
Are you sure bout that?

Zzyzx Mortorsports 2.5RS breaks 300 HP NA

Yes, I know it's not OEM, but it's possible.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #73
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFormula View Post
Used S2000s and used 350z prices are like 13k-20k
used S2000s aren't new cars. If you want an S2000/350Z class car, buy one used. Why even bother waiting for the FT?

Quote:
I'm not against turbo, but why ppl are saying NA can't compete w Z, Gene, and other sports cars? It's like saying NSX can't compete w Pors, Ferr, Lamb, BMW, & other euro sports cars... but the fact is NSX can keep up and beat some of Pors, Ferr, BMW in the track without problem even though NSX only has 280hp.

Oh course NSX and FT86c is totally different car, but idea is same. mid power + light weight = can go long way. Light weight helps w braking distance and turn without heavy chassis roll, while it has enough power to keep the car go forward without fighting w steering wheel.

Now, thinking bout that. I hope Toyota will do like Porsche. Make the high end FT86 into awesome NA car and keep the mid end in turbo and low end been basic NA.
  • High range NA will have 220~260 hp (or make it 2.2~2.5L w 280hp) no lagging redline all the way to 9.2k rev engine, performance suspension w brakes. Price tag around $26k~$28k
  • Mid range turbo ver has 230~240 hp w sports suspension w brakes. Price tag around $23k~$25k
  • Low end has 175~200 hp basic all around. Price tag around $19k~$22k
Not against turbo either. I think both will co-exist just fine. In fact, I might end up getting both an NA and a Turbo at the same time for street/track duty as long as my finances and automotive circumstances are okay at the time.

All those hoping for turbos better remember however, the focal point of the car is lightweight, high performance NA at a low cost of entry, so aspirations about a supra replacement are useless, you are just setting yourself up for disappointment. ichi, Toyota are not going to release a 260hp NA car stock from the factory. 270hp is what the S2000 Auris with the 3S makes. I'm not saying that it's not possible, or that they can't... But this is Toyota here. I'm expecting barley over 200hp, if we are lucky, maybe 220hp. Neither is it going to redline at 9000+ rpm. If the concept is any indication, it will redline around 7,500rpm, maybe with fuel cut up to 8000rpm.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #74
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
As much as I'd love to have both a FI and NA vehicle to swap between depending on my mood, I don't think I could afford it. And as much as I want a FI vehicle, I'd rather have a NA one instead. Its just my preference.

Maybe later on I'd try to do something FI wise, I'm pretty interested in SC's as of late. I really would love for Toyota to release what they have formulated as far as trims / options go for the FR-S. Even if they are ultra rough draft type details, I just want to see what they are thinking about with this car.

EDIT : I would love to know why people are comparing a 20,000 FR-S to a 30,000 Audi TT and 35-40k BMW? If I get 200hp for 20,000 I'll be more than happy. It sure beats going to VW and buying a GTI for 30,000 and getting 200hp. Sure it has a Dual Clutch Auto, but thats not my style to begin with. It just irritates me when some of you guys are being so hard on the car, and comparing it to S2000's and 350Z's when those are in a completely different price range / market. And don't give me "used car is $xxxx", that means nothing. Its a fucking used car. it could have been in a huge accident for all you know, vs buying the FR-S new.
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #75
C-Bone

Drives: '03 Tiburon
As far as me I'm not expecting a supra replacement, I'm still hoping to keep that dream open for some day. However I do want an upgrade from the tib, and after driving our new fx45 ('03 new to me) I want lots of go so if it can do it NA ill be happy I suppose
C-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #76
Matador
hashiryu

Trust me, 200hp carrying anything under 2700lbs is lots of go for 99% of the general population and dare I say even 70% of enthusiast. Especially if it has a magical chassis, tight suspension and responsive controls.

My first car was a rally homologated, limited Detomaso Daihatsu Charade. Only 125hp, but weighed 800kg, and well sorted suspension. Stuck like glue to a GC8 WRX though the curves once for close to 10 minutes, unfortunately we got to a 1/4 mile stretch and I was well and truly smoked. LOL. Point is, when it comes to speed, power is not all that matters... unless you are into drag racing and that sort of stuff.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #77
CyberFormula

Drives: gti, nsx, integra type r,porsche911
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
used S2000s aren't new cars. If you want an S2000/350Z class car, buy one used. Why even bother waiting for the FT?

Exactly!! why bother waiting for the FT!!
CyberFormula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #78
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFormula View Post
Exactly!! why bother waiting for the FT!!
Then go for it.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #79
jonnyj

Drives: '93 Nissan 300ZX
I don't think it's going to cost that much

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
the crz was estimated @ $27+k .... It will be on sale at $19k, I think this puts a mid level FT-86/FR-S at about $23-$25k. Hopefully. lol.
When they say that a midlevel car will come in at 28,000, they're referring to the conversion from japanese yen to American dollars. http://www.ft86club.com/?p=276 "- Target price remains steady for mid-level spec FT-86 – approximately 2.5 million yen (approximate $29,000 USD) for Japan Market" These cars tend to cost a lot more in the Japanese market. Take for example the Honda CR-Z. It starts at $25,500 in the Japanese market when converted from Yen to dollars. http://www.insideline.com/honda/cr-z...rom-25500.html In America, it starts at $19,500, and that's a hybrid. If you take this difference and apply it to this car, it should be around 22k for a mid-spec model, which makes sense. Toyota's a smart company, they make mistakes, but I doubt they would jack up the price of a car to the point where it would be DOA because of its competition
jonnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #80
Chemist

Drives: 2005 Corolla XRS
I heard the FT-86 will have an engine with pneumatic valving.

..No, not really.

/continues to wait patiently for engine specs
Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:17 AM   #81
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Now, thinking bout that. I hope Toyota will do like Porsche. Make the high end FT86 into awesome NA car and keep the mid end in turbo and low end been basic NA.
  • High range NA will have 220~260 hp (or make it 2.2~2.5L w 280hp) no lagging redline all the way to 9.2k rev engine, performance suspension w brakes. Price tag around $26k~$28k
  • Mid range turbo ver has 230~240 hp w sports suspension w brakes. Price tag around $23k~$25k
  • Low end has 175~200 hp basic all around. Price tag around $19k~$22k
This will not happen. Thanks to marketing douchebags the situation (if we even get a turbo and NA) would be Turbo at the top (because to the general public Turbo = Faster). It will also be considerably more expensive, and have the most retarded luxury options available. The NA will be the high volume 'chick-car'. At least this is what Toyota has traditionally done in the past.

I think I'm coming around to the NA only idea, too. I have my Supra for boost and straight-line speed. I think 210 out of 2.0L NA would do it.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #82
Sleeperz
Banned

Drives: 1982 Toyota Corolla Coupe SR5
Two Engines, 3 Spec levels , HIgher prices

According to 7Tune, Toyota recently held at shindig in Japan for select scribes in order to get some things straight about its Toyota G's performance vehicles. Naturally, talk quickly turned to the FT-86 (or FR-S) Although it was reported two months ago that the much-anticipated sports coupe would be delayed until 2013 for design and powerplant reasons, the Toyota engineers at the event reportedly attested that "the car is on schedule" and still has a planned release date of November 2011.

Clarity on the lineup was offered as well: Three spec levels will be available with at least two engines, and the mid-range model is expected to run around 2.5 million yen ($28,500 USD). Further, it appears that a turbocharged variant will take the top slot. According to 7Tune, none of those engines will be a hybrid – that tech is being reserved for a different sporty product.

If there's any news from the event that makes us as excited as word that we might see the car next year, it's the head of the sports division saying that "because of Toyota's connection with Subaru, there was no way that the car wasn't going to be great." We hope he knows what he's talking about. Top tip, Andrew!

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/26/r...nt-on-track-e/
Sleeperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #83
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
This will not happen. Thanks to marketing douchebags the situation (if we even get a turbo and NA) would be Turbo at the top (because to the general public Turbo = Faster). It will also be considerably more expensive, and have the most retarded luxury options available. The NA will be the high volume 'chick-car'. At least this is what Toyota has traditionally done in the past.

I think I'm coming around to the NA only idea, too. I have my Supra for boost and straight-line speed. I think 210 out of 2.0L NA would do it.
Hey I'm just dreaming... It doesn't hurt to dream, just get flamed that's all.

"Well might be good time to break the lame tradition"... which I wanna say, but it's so true, those douchebags won't let that happen.

...at the same time iirc, TRD made upgrade parts for Altezza (which is/was hella expensive). Instead of Turbo kit.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:16 AM   #84
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperz View Post
According to 7Tune, Toyota recently held at shindig in Japan for select scribes in order to get some things straight about its Toyota G's performance vehicles. Naturally, talk quickly turned to the FT-86 (or FR-S) Although it was reported two months ago that the much-anticipated sports coupe would be delayed until 2013 for design and powerplant reasons, the Toyota engineers at the event reportedly attested that "the car is on schedule" and still has a planned release date of November 2011.
You know this is what started this thread right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post

Not necessarily. Might even end up seeing all specs with two engine options.

And Yes, 210 NA is fine, but I think it ought to have a turbo compliment. Even if it's form the 2nd production year or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyj View Post
When they say that a midlevel car will come in at 28,000, they're referring to the conversion from japanese yen to American dollars. http://www.ft86club.com/?p=276 "- Target price remains steady for mid-level spec FT-86 – approximately 2.5 million yen (approximate $29,000 USD) for Japan Market" These cars tend to cost a lot more in the Japanese market. Take for example the Honda CR-Z. It starts at $25,500 in the Japanese market when converted from Yen to dollars. http://www.insideline.com/honda/cr-z...rom-25500.html In America, it starts at $19,500, and that's a hybrid. If you take this difference and apply it to this car, it should be around 22k for a mid-spec model, which makes sense. Toyota's a smart company, they make mistakes, but I doubt they would jack up the price of a car to the point where it would be DOA because of its competition

You are preaching to the choir man, that is the exact same point I was trying to put across.

And no, A mid level FT-86 is not going to cost $22k, not a chance in hell, though we could all hope and pray that it did.