follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #71
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I've been waiting a long time. The longer I wait, the more rational I get about it. My WRX, while old, has really low mileage (for an eleven year car anyway) and is mechanically sound. This car is underpowered, completely impractical, and not likely to save me much on gas than my current guzzler. I don't need a new car, I want a new car. While price isn't an issue, I fucking hate being jerked around like TMS and Subaru are doing right now with the pricing.

I better enjoy the shit out of the test drive (if they even let you! Never did get an STI test drive a few years ago), or I'll pocket my money and go with my original plan: wait a few years for the new STI to come out.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #72
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrs View Post
Wow, so angry. Jus chill dude.
He's not angry. He's being logical. If a couple grand spread over 4 years makes this unaffordable, then you can't afford a new car above $20k anyway.

As far as saying "this car is only worth $xx,xxx and I simply won't stand for paying any more", that seems pretty unfair to say until you've actually driven it. If you drive this car back to back w/ a new 2.0T GC and the driving experience is far better, then yes, it is worth more than $25k as far as Toyota/Subaru see it.

I'm moving on to a Prius v. The day after the FR-S was announced, my wife and I found out we were having our first child this summer. Her MINI isn't baby-ready, so we're getting something baby ready for the time being. I'll still buy an FR-S, but it will have to wait a few years. I can't justify a new car that I cannot fit my kiddo into, much like many here can't justify the car at the speculated price. And that's OK. There is nothing to be embarrassed about when you're making a good financial decision rather than strapping yourself financially for a sports car. I've been holding onto the money to buy a sports car, the FR-S in particular, since I sold my MKV GTI in the summer of '10. I figure I should own the v free and clear by late 2013 (I rarely take more than a year to pay off a car) and I can start considering an FR-S. If you have to wait a few years to save up, and this is the car you want, do it. If waiting a few months is enough to dissuade you from this car, then you were probably bound to be disappointed anyway.
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #73
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
The FR-S isn't worth more than $22,500. I'm surprised some people would pay 25k-27k if that was the price.

Exactly. This is what im talking about. Im more than capable of affording the car. But i know how much this car is really worth and im not going to pay more than that. If you wanna shell out 25 to 26 grand on a 200hp na rwd car, be my guest. While its a cool car, its still only worth so much.

Given the hype, the car is probably going to cost more upon its release. ive just been wiating for a price, so i know whether to wait for however many more months, or just go buy another car cash
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #74
Infernal
NO FI?! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: BMW e92 330D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Even with the price being announced here in the UK at £25k i am definately tempted by some other motors.

If i keep my current car, ive got a nice RWD coupe that returns 40 MPG and gives 34 more bhp than the 86 and i can afford a bike (MV Agusta 675, GSXR600, GSR 750, GSXR750, Daytona675 etc.)

I can buy a new 370z for £660 more than a GT-86
Porsche Cayman with low miles from 2007 for 25k
e92 M3 for 23-25k
335i with less than 40k miles for 13-15k

it's hard work deciding - I know my post count doesent show that ive been following each detail of the car, but my join date does

based on my already fairly long wait i may end up just waiting some more for a hotter more powerful version of the car, for there to be some decent discounts, or for a decent tuner to develop a turbo/stroker kit (im looking at you cosworth)
Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #75
CyberFormula

Drives: gti, nsx, integra type r,porsche911
i'm on the border of moving on as well.

Seeing how I wanted the scion/toyota version...

but doesn't seem like we'll get HID headlight or the aero kit is a bummer.

But reading the new News about what Subaru is working on with the WRX is really exciting. ahem...i heard something about a 6 speed manual transmission on a WRX.:happy0180:
Old 02-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #76
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Exactly. I've said the same thing before I could go buy a $60K car if I wanted to, but I have no desire to have a car like that. The BRZ Limited is worth around 27k to me, the premium, maybe 25k, and the FR-S maybe 24k.

Granted that's without driving them, but it's not going to be my only car so I could get plenty of less practical cars that are a couple of years old in that pricerange, like an S2KCR.
While I'm not in a position to pick up a $60k car, I do agree with your price points for what you think the cars are worth to you. I figure those prices plus $2-3k for TTL and I'll be ready to roll the car off the lot.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #77
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Anybody else just sick of waiting and ready to look at somewhere else as far as a car goes? Kinda irritating knowing the car is shpposed to be coming out in like 2 months and were still missing a bunch of info.

......... For the cost of a stock FRS, I can build another street car for whatever i want.

So anybody else on the same boat?
I feel where you're coming from. You're tired of having your chain yanked. I'll be honest though, I haven't stopped looking elsewhere. The FT86 was never a done deal or a one-car party for me. I have no vested interest, emotionally or otherwise, in the FT86, be it on the Subie or Toyota side. The only things missing from the equation for me are a Test Drive and the Price. Obviously, those are two very important, if not the most important factors.

If the car ends up being the definitive drivers car the media is ranting about, and the rest of the package is acceptable, I'll go for it. If there's something glaringly unacceptable, i.e. interior ergonomics, price, availability, etc., then I have no problem walking away with nothing but localized disappointment of what could've been.

I don't need another car; my Golf TDI does everything I need it to very well. I'm willing to give up cargo, quiet, and fuel economy to inject more fun into my daily drive, and at this point I'll never give up searching for my "next car", whatever it ends up being.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #78
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anyone read the report of UK getting 500 cars the first year? If these rumors are true about the limited supply I will wait until 6-12 months after release. If still hard to find I will move on.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #79
3scapist
Argues nekkid

Drives: 08 E92 M3
Doesn't matter to me anymore..I'll be in Honduras for the next 6 months to a year -_-
14 Subaru BRZ STI- Future track slut
3scapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #80
maxeveland

Drives: n/a
hopefully with such a long wait, toyota can perfect the ones that will be be sold first so there are no recalls and that stuff
maxeveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #81
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxeveland View Post
hopefully with such a long wait, toyota can perfect the ones that will be be sold first so there are no recalls and that stuff
Whatever defects were going to be found should have already been sorted out with all the test mules and the demo cars that we see popping up in the spotting threads. I have a feeling there will be some aspect of the car that will have to be reworked at some point, but that's the nature of getting in on the ground floor with a new product.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #82
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I find it interesting that the price is estimated to be around $25k. I just noticed a 2008 Honda S2000 with 9k miles for $27,500 at a local dealership, and which sold new for around $33,000. I consider the FRS cheap in comparison, plus having the advantage of being a hardtop. I'm surprised Honda hasn't come up with a competitor to the FRS as it would be easy to update the S2000.
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #83
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
Most of us have been eagerly waiting since '09/10 so consider several more months of waiting as the home stretch. :happy0180:

Sometimes I miss the good old days when there were just like 10 of us on this forum talking about these cars...less reposts and useless whining back then, lol
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #84
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
lol my thoughts exactly move on to what? there's nothing else available in this segment, i've been waiting for this car for almost a decade.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote