follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

View Poll Results: Would you buy an aero Kit designed by me?
Yes, I would if i was considering a kit. 82 43.16%
No, I would not buy a kit from you if i was considering a kit. 16 8.42%
No, I am not considering a kit. 35 18.42%
Undecided, Not Sure if I want a kit or not 17 8.95%
Undecided, I am considering a kit but I would like to look at my options first. 40 21.05%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #71
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,562 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyalien24 View Post
Holy Crap! If you make this so (which you probably will) I will so consider a BRZ. Even just for that Front facsia and awesome spoiler.

Hey Wings, I know your going to be busy with the BRZ stuff and all, but are you going to design one for the FRS?
yep
Old 01-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #72
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
yep
Hell yeah!

Man, you have to give it some awesome names, like the "Wings of War kit"

Alright, well take your time on the kits and best of luck on everything
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #73
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Diggin it. If those rear overs stayed against the body towards the bottom, rather than stay out like the re amemiya style overs....id be all over it. They look sick as hell and I would love to run a wider stance on this car.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #74
Vincent
Banned

Drives: My body.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Those are some nice, clean, and functional looking designs.
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #75
poormans_LFA
FT86Club.com O.G.

Drives: Gunmetal Gundam Wing Zero Custom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
well done overall. not crazy about the back portion of the front and rear fenders. i'd also like to see more of a "duck bill" look to the integrated CSL style trunk spoiler. also, for wheel arches it would be nice to see more of a more rounded flare. just my $.2. thanks again for sharing!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #76
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM-dono View Post

In this design, Mine's opted to employ dual vents at the front of the vehicle with the aim of provided sufficient air to the intake. However, we do not see any hood vents. I see where you're coming from that there might be air accumulation in the engine bay, but the additional vents are not large enough. (please correct me if air accumulation was not the reason)

Though, adding vents in the hood will evacuate heat generated in the engine bay.
My thoughts are centred around a functional kit, rather than a racey image. It appears that the main air intake has been reduced in size, which is exactly the opposite of what is required. Then a pressure void is required at the rear of both radiator and intercooler.

I think the most tasteful way of doing it is how Porsche do it. This needs to be incorporated into the bumper design.

I know I am coming at this from a completely different perspective. I want to create a car to rival an Evora S or 911 GT3 (sans the orange paint and stickers above )
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #77
sirus
86 Owner

Drives: White GTS 86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Great job!

I really like you're design! I am however undecided on whether or not to purchase a kit. If power mods become available then I think I will definately look at your kit first, but I will be purchasing a 86.

On the road. Check your mirrors!
sirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #78
JDM-dono

Drives: WRB BRZ '13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
My thoughts are centred around a functional kit, rather than a racey image. It appears that the main air intake has been reduced in size, which is exactly the opposite of what is required. Then a pressure void is required at the rear of both radiator and intercooler.

I think the most tasteful way of doing it is how Porsche do it. This needs to be incorporated into the bumper design.

I know I am coming at this from a completely different perspective. I want to create a car to rival an Evora S or 911 GT3 (sans the orange paint and stickers above )
Ok I see where you're getting at, the thing with the gt3 is that the engine is positioned at the back and the boot is at the front. With the boot compartment at the front the frontal air will form a stagnation point at the front of the boot compartment. To relieve this pressure region, porsche employed the outlet you see below the hood. This is a pretty effective design if you think about it because you're evacuating high pressure towards the top of the hood thereby generating downforce (ie high pressure air on top of car/hood pushes the car down).

If you want WoW kit to rival Evora S or 911 GT3, no chance mate. It's a simple tasteful design. Those cars are in their own league.

WoW, thanks for clearing up on the design features. I knew I saw those fender features somewhere!! Just couldn't but my finger on it. I agree Re-Amemiya kits are the most functional and visually impressive kits for the FD3S... I'd like to find out what the function those "cut outs" have on the air flow around the car, very curious now. The only reason I can think of is that wheel wells tend to generate high pressure region since the wheel is spinning inside a closed "well" so to speak. This pressure can be vented out of that cut out and as it evacuates it is incident on the part sticking out on the side skirt plate we see in the Re-Amemiya kit. High pressure above the side skirt => downforce. (picture below for reference purposes)

It'll be interesting if you can pull the Paladin kit off and have it recognised in the same league as Re-Amemiya
JDM-dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #79
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Main intake is required to be bigger? I was under the impression that the air ducts are sized to cope with worst case scenarios, like driving in Death Valley when it's 135F under heavy load...aka a smaller one would be beneficial as it improves aerodynamics.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:52 AM   #80
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,562 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Main intake is required to be bigger? I was under the impression that the air ducts are sized to cope with worst case scenarios, like driving in Death Valley when it's 135F under heavy load...aka a smaller one would be beneficial as it improves aerodynamics.
Yes your absolutely right, a smaller air dam with a more focused low pressure zone is ideal for aerodynamics and cooling over a wide mouth air dam.

Take a look at the front view of the BRZ

Im sure lots of you notice some obvious improvement areas in the OEM design.

What iv done in my kit, (now bare with me..it gets kinda rough) is decrease the air dam area by 15%, allowing the local pressure zone to not experience so much turbulence from a wider mouth that doesn't have proper channels. Plus feed air directly to the radiator which is actually slanted. There were a few spots that an engineer friend of mine pointed out that are high pressure zones that really don't do much but create unwanted drag, (granted the car has already a really good .27 Cd) on the OEM bumper.

Iv layed out and highlighted just a rough comparison sketch of high(RED) and low(BLUE) pressure zones i thought were significant, take note i was eyeballing the zones. I don't know if there are accurate.

From there i think i did a good job consolidating the OEM aero design, the only major area that can i see still being improved on in my design is the high pressure corners where the fogs are. They would be better served open and ducted to the brakes for additional cooling. But thats really some racecar stuff, which isn't the entire purpose of my aero line.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #81
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
If the gaps around the fogs are filled in a little it'll probably reduce drag by a tiny tiny bit. But then it won't look cool :P

And I'm not sure that your low pressure zones are actually low pressure zones...
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #82
sirus
86 Owner

Drives: White GTS 86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Oh PS. Thanks for the image with the Advan RG-D's! You may have solved my rim choice issues! I think I'm in love...

On the road. Check your mirrors!
sirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #83
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Looks good. But a couple of things I'm interested in aero-wise.

1.) Hood venting. Purely functional, louvers on top where the low pressure zone is. Couple this with a sealed front undertray and you increase cooling capacity, and reduce lift/increase downforce. With testing of how it affects cooling, you could maybe even make the grille section smaller to reduce a bit more drag.

2.) I'm curious about small air guides running along the 'corners'/edge of the roof and hood. I saw this on a British hill-climb car of a guy who worked for a wind tunnel over there. They were only ~1" and the theory/testing said they kept the air from the top of the car from spilling to the sides and creating more turbulence/drag which also helped downforce. If you have access to CFD that could be something to look into.

(I'll add a drawing later if my explanation is a bit too vague...)

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #84
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
They would be better served open and ducted to the brakes for additional cooling. But thats really some racecar stuff, which isn't the entire purpose of my aero line.
WUT I thought the whole purpose of this kit is functional aero . . . this is for HPDE cars, not some wanna be's man... otherwise what's the point...