follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #71
Torquesteered

Drives: 07 fusion
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86Fan View Post
I'm surprised no one made any comments about this statement in the article:

Are they saying that the left hand drive FRS is so much better than the right hand drive 86? I'm confused.
No I think he is saying that they(the drivers) were not used to right hand drive and didn't get a good feel for the car until they drove the left hand drive car.

err what ^ he said lol
Torquesteered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #72
ft86Fan

Drives: FR-S, Exige S, Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Maybe you guys are right but it sure is weird the wording they chose to convey the fact that they are not used to right hand drive cars.
Quote:
right-hand drive models proved pleasing but left us without the wow factor the car’s hype suggested
ft86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #73
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Now I really want to see Tsuchiya drive it
Old 12-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #74
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
OMG, best quote ever!

Quote:
Sometimes it’s hard to know when a car will become an icon. Sometimes it’s not.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #75
Kids Heart

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Hey Kids Heart Just wondering how old you are ? Anyways Ken is the face of Scion just like Sydrin mentioned. Also he's my age 25, and he's well known in the drift community of both countries. Back then when we were about in high school everyone here in America was all crazy into Fast and Furious and still just like America, Horse power was the craze. While People like Ken and few were into drifting Drifting wasn't even that big yet, Ken and many like him represent the first generation of Drifters in America. He's become a well known name, and one of Scion's target with this car is the First Gen Drift followers(The Biggest Market for this car are these first gens). The people who help bring the sport to America, or the people who were sliding in parking lots in High school while everyone else was still racing in a straight line.

Supporting Ken is like supporting that generation, not to mention so many aftermarket tuners like Greddy is from that generation as well. Ken Gushi is like a name that everyone that follows Drifting will recognize. It's like Tiger Woods, his golf game sucks now but he's still associated with Golfing. People know him. You can ask an average Joe here in the USA about drifting and most of the time They'll only know Ken or Tanner.

Ken is a perfect Marketing person for Scion, The fact he's well known in Japan as well probably also makes it easier for the Japaneses team to work with him as well.
I'm 30 and have been following drifting for 10 years now. I agree that Ken Gushi was among the first generation of American series drifters and the youngest but everyones skills have grown since then and he has failed to stay at the top.
Kids Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #76
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids Heart View Post
I'm 30 and have been following drifting for 10 years now. I agree that Ken Gushi was among the first generation of American series drifters and the youngest but everyone skills have grown since then and he has failed to stay at the top.
I don't see the reason why he's not up top anymore has anything to do with him driving the car in this car review. Ken was perfect for the test, just the fact that he's able to speak the language and is used to driving in Japan. This alone would already given a lot better feedback to reviewers and Scion. Ken has driven avidly both LHD and RHD so he wouldn't have problems of RHD, (not being used to it) that a lot of these reviewers and professional drivers here in the US would have.

On top of that Scion wants to Market the FRS as a performance car for first car owner/driver and first time learners. Ken's first car was an AE86 and he still owns an AE86 his Father Tunes AE86 for a Living. Just these facts... Ken winner or not, is best to work with Toyota and review. He's been working for Toyota forever.

Ken relates to the target demographic, he part of the Toyota family and he's idol to a lot of Toyota fans. I'm very happy and I think many others are too that he's the person who tested and reviewed.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch

Last edited by Zaku; 12-09-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #77
koyv90
Rocket Bunny FRS

Drives: 2013 Rocket Bunny FRS
I think it was somewhere in this thread but someone was talking about lots of crashes because people will turn off the tract control or something.

If you want to drift or try drifting are those settings supposed to be turned off or kept on?
koyv90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #78
csaba

Drives: scion tc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaros View Post
You know what guys? Without the fugly stereo they put into the FR-S at the launch party, the centre dash doesn't look too bad. It's still not as cool as the one in the 86, but the set up in this silver one is quite pleasing, and I wouldn't mind it.

EDIT: Oh I also forgot to mention the flat white tachometer is way way way better than what ever was at the launch party.
Not to mention saving a couple of grand.
I like it myself too
csaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #79
csaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaros View Post
You know what guys? Without the fugly stereo they put into the FR-S at the launch party, the centre dash doesn't look too bad. It's still not as cool as the one in the 86, but the set up in this silver one is quite pleasing, and I wouldn't mind it.
If you do
EDIT: Oh I also forgot to mention the flat white tachometer is way way way better than what ever was at the launch party.
I think it may going to have a option not to get any stereo if you chose not to
Old 12-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #80
CoryUyede
NisSubuGuru?

Drives: 2011 Subaru WRX
Anyone else notice the interior pieces are blacked out now?

ie Shifter trim, and the trim running vertically up on the sides of the hvac.

BTW, i LOVE it...looks awesome..not TOO cheap looking and focused. All the surfaces a DRIVER needs to touch look great! Sorta like my STI was

Past to Present
CoryUyede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #81
csaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzo View Post
I know that some past scion models have had large plastic covers for the radio, that could be what we are seeing in that picture
My TC has that cover its a good idea so when you park on the street people don't know what kind of stereo you have there so thay won't brake in hopefully by not knowing.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #82
csaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbcraig View Post
There are several coupes on the market today that are longer...
Lol he ment the video.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #83
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Drives: 2003 Celica GT-S
The interior things are blacked out because during these "interviews" with the media they don't want the media rating those items.

Most of those will probably be customized by the dealers anyway.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #84
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Koyv90,

To get the car to fully rotate on command you will need to turn off any traction/yaw/stability/etc. control systems. However, what I really dig is the the sport button which delays the intervention of the aids allowing you to get the tail out a little bit before 'losing' control of the vehicle. On public streets it is illegal to drift, insurance will not be happy with you when you crash, and I don't have mommy and daddy to pay for me - but I'm sure plenty of internet racers will proclaim their dorifto skillz from all the Initial D they practiced on.

If I'm going to turn off the aids and crash the car I better damn well be doing it on Buttonwillow's lost hill
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr-s forum, fr-s forums, fr-s reviews, fr-s video, fr-s videos, frs forum, frs forums, frs review, frs video, frs videos, scion fr-s forum, scion fr-s forums, scion fr-s review, scion fr-s reviews, scion fr-s video, scion fr-s videos, scion frs forum, scion frs forums, scion frs review, scion frs reviews, scion frs video, scion frs videos