follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #71
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David@Airaid View Post
Hello 2forme,

Interesting. That is not anything we experienced in our testing, nor any of the beta testers either.

A couple things to check would be:

1. make sure the battery has been disconnected so the computer can relearn. The car will need to be driven some miles for the computer to compensate for the new parameters.
2. Double check the installation to make sure all connections are snug and that the MAF sensor is mounted properly as well.

Thanks,
David
David,

Thanks for the fast response. According to the log files, the car had already adjusted and settled it's A/F learning parameters without disconnecting the battery. For the sake of being thorough, I reset the ECU today and did some more logging. Here are my results:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1345751521

There's a lot going on, so I'll give everyone the cliff notes. I was cruising along, and upshifted. After upshifting, I was trying to make a light, and floored the car (the plateau). Queue the "bog". The really jagged portion of it is the MAF reading. Also, the ignition timing dropped and the car began slowing down (you can see the RPM drop even with WOT).

That seems to be a more consistent way to replicate, high load around 1000-2000 rpm, and WOT.

Can any of the stock people who are experiencing something similar do the following test? Cruise along in each gear around 1500-1700 rpm. Floor the car and see how it responds.

On the flip side, it makes power according to my fake dynos haha

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1345752395

For the record, I'm not trying to bash AIRAID in the slightest. I had similar issues with the Celica I had before the BRZ (they use an identical air sensor set up). After doing tons of research, I found out that most aftermarket intakes bogged due the lack of vanes. The bog could be tuned out with an aftermarket ECU, but I feel a majority of people buying intakes are on stock ECUs/tunes.

I wish I could get a log of a stock car that's doing it. I can always revert my tune back to stock, but I have to burn through the e85 first. Thoughts?
Attached Images

2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #72
AIRAID

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
David,

Thanks for the fast response. According to the log files, the car had already adjusted and settled it's A/F learning parameters without disconnecting the battery. For the sake of being thorough, I reset the ECU today and did some more logging. Here are my results:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1345751521

There's a lot going on, so I'll give everyone the cliff notes. I was cruising along, and upshifted. After upshifting, I was trying to make a light, and floored the car (the plateau). Queue the "bog". The really jagged portion of it is the MAF reading. Also, the ignition timing dropped and the car began slowing down (you can see the RPM drop even with WOT).

That seems to be a more consistent way to replicate, high load around 1000-2000 rpm, and WOT.

Can any of the stock people who are experiencing something similar do the following test? Cruise along in each gear around 1500-1700 rpm. Floor the car and see how it responds.

On the flip side, it makes power according to my fake dynos haha

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1345752395

For the record, I'm not trying to bash AIRAID in the slightest. I had similar issues with the Celica I had before the BRZ (they use an identical air sensor set up). After doing tons of research, I found out that most aftermarket intakes bogged due the lack of vanes. The bog could be tuned out with an aftermarket ECU, but I feel a majority of people buying intakes are on stock ECUs/tunes.

I wish I could get a log of a stock car that's doing it. I can always revert my tune back to stock, but I have to burn through the e85 first. Thoughts?
Hello 2forme,

Are you running an aftermarket Tune or not?

We have logged thousands of miles on 4 different test car's (Auto / Manual) and never had any issues at all. The feeling you are most likely feeling is due to the drive by wire. The easiest way is to go back to stock and see if the car still does it.

Thanks,
David
AIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #73
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Hello 2forme,

Are you running an aftermarket Tune or not?

We have logged thousands of miles on 4 different test car's (Auto / Manual) and never had any issues at all. The feeling you are most likely feeling is due to the drive by wire. The easiest way is to go back to stock and see if the car still does it.

Thanks,
David
I installed the stock intake and it went away.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #74
AIRAID

Quote:
I installed the stock intake and it went away.
Are you running a TUNE or not?
Old 08-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #75
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Are you running a TUNE or not?
Yes, I've said that from the beginning. But, there were others who aren't and are having similar issues.

I will revert the tune back to stock once my tank of e85 is finished and retest.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #76
AIRAID

Quote:
Yes, I've said that from the beginning. But, there were others who aren't and are having similar issues.

I will revert the tune back to stock once my tank of e85 is finished and retest.
Hello 2forme,

OK, and that Tune you are running is designed specifically for the Stock intake and not designed for an aftermarket intake..

Again we logged Thousands of Miles on over 4 test car's and never experienced this, Nor our beta testers.

From what we have found is that the "Feeling" of bogging is due to the drive by wire. The car's have that feeling completely stock.

With that said, let us know how it works once you put your Tune back to stock and Re-install the AIRAID, I am interested to hear.

Thanks,
David
Old 08-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #77
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Hello 2forme,

OK, and that Tune you are running is designed specifically for the Stock intake and not designed for an aftermarket intake..

Again we logged Thousands of Miles on over 4 test car's and never experienced this, Nor our beta testers.

From what we have found is that the "Feeling" of bogging is due to the drive by wire. The car's have that feeling completely stock.

With that said, let us know how it works once you put your Tune back to stock and Re-install the AIRAID, I am interested to hear.

Thanks,
David
No problem. Also good to know for people who do have tunes that they will probably experience issues with it.

I'll let you know.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
AIRAID (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #78
mechaghost

Drives: Silver AT Limited
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I dont have the intake installed yet, but if you floor it on 1500 rpms ish then the car will definitely bog down (from my experience). Have you tried flooring it from maybe 2500 - 3000 rpm?

Try a more progressive squeeze to WOT from 1500 as well
mechaghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #79
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaghost View Post
I dont have the intake installed yet, but if you floor it on 1500 rpms ish then the car will definitely bog down (from my experience). Have you tried flooring it from maybe 2500 - 3000 rpm?

Try a more progressive squeeze to WOT from 1500 as well
I know that, but this was a cut in power...not just a bog. The car was slowing down. Usually, even in 6th, the car will still pull forward. It would be really slow, but it will pull forward.

Either way, this intake definitely makes power and outflows stock. I registered +10 g/s compared to stock with snorkel removed on both. Maybe I'll use a K&N filter on the stock intake and see if it outflows that.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #80
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I know that, but this was a cut in power...not just a bog. The car was slowing down. Usually, even in 6th, the car will still pull forward. It would be really slow, but it will pull forward.

Either way, this intake definitely makes power and outflows stock. I registered +10 g/s compared to stock with snorkel removed on both. Maybe I'll use a K&N filter on the stock intake and see if it outflows that.
I have the hks filter with a tune and i've had no issues at all. Its actually made a great improvement in throttle and it runs better with the filter. I've never tried to floor it around 1500...ill try in a few and see what happens.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #81
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello mechaghost,

The Intake by itself does not cause any "bogging". The issue seems to be related to car's with aftermarket tuning, and in that regard, it's the tune causing the issue, not the intake itself. The Intake has been Proven on a stock car, so if other "modifications" are causing a driveability issue, the other modifications needs to be looked at.

Thanks,
David
This is kind of tough to be positive about even though you had "over 4 test cars". I can assure you my car has been feeling this weird "bogging". Don't take this personally because if you read my first post I specifically stated my positive opinion on the build quality of this intake. You asked for feedback and my personal feedback is that the car doesn't seem to run as properly on the airaid intake.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #82
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard0625 View Post
I have the hks filter with a tune and i've had no issues at all. Its actually made a great improvement in throttle and it runs better with the filter. I've never tried to floor it around 1500...ill try in a few and see what happens.
I want to be clear I don't have to floor it at 1500 to get it to do it. It's just the easiest way to recreate the issue. I usually get it in first gear taking off from a stop.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #83
W2

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I want to be clear I don't have to floor it at 1500 to get it to do it. It's just the easiest way to recreate the issue. I usually get it in first gear taking off from a stop.
Why would you be flooring a little 2 liter engine at 1500 RPMs? I would most certainly expect a bog with no acceleration and a slow build up in power until the car finally gets into the meet of the power band and starts taking off.
W2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to W2 For This Useful Post:
AIRAID (08-23-2012), AJUSA.com (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #84
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2 View Post
Why would you be flooring a little 2 liter engine at 1500 RPMs? I would most certainly expect a bog with no acceleration and a slow build up in power until the car finally gets into the meet of the power band and starts taking off.
Seriously. The car is really slow at 1500 rpms stock. So was my sti which had more than 2x the power. Unless he came from big v8s, I have no idea what 2forme is trying to accomplish by flooring it at 1500 rpms.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to industrial For This Useful Post:
AIRAID (08-23-2012)