follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #8359
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone knows where i can buy a Subaru badge?

Gots an idea...
Old 01-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #8360
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheOcean View Post
So my car knowledge sucks-Can someone explain to me the difference between getting JDM exhaust tips than your average Joe ones?
I've seen people get 40$ ones that look nice-if rust is the main issue could you use a spray to protect them? Such a huge price difference between the two so I was curious.
Thanks
Well I don't think there's a spray that can protect them, but honestly if I wanted fat exhaust tips, I'd buy some scrap aluminum and polish them to make my own.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #8361
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
So my car knowledge sucks-Can someone explain to me the difference between getting JDM exhaust tips than your average Joe ones?
I've seen people get 40$ ones that look nice-if rust is the main issue could you use a spray to protect them? Such a huge price difference between the two so I was curious.
Thanks
Fashion.

Because titanium.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #8362
srtblake
Chrysler/jeep/dodge tech

Drives: FR-S driver
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks

for lack of a better explanation, the "jdm" fad is something rich white people do to try and fit in amongst other car enthusiasts.

Most "jdm" parts are knock-offs or overpriced junk.

keep that shit USDM whenever possible
Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #8363
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by srtblake View Post
for lack of a better explanation, the "jdm" fad is something rich white people do to try and fit in amongst other car enthusiasts.

Most "jdm" parts are knock-offs or overpriced junk.

keep that shit USDM whenever possible
Terrible explanation.

Because titanium.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
M-17 (01-07-2013), zenki_levin (01-06-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #8364
srtblake
Chrysler/jeep/dodge tech

Drives: FR-S driver
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Terrible explanation.

thats the exact definition for chicago. Please elaborate
Old 01-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #8365
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by srtblake View Post
thats the exact definition for chicago. Please elaborate
Sort of Seriously:

JDM is a fad about making your car look like it was only available in Japan. It involves paying ridiculous amounts of money for stock parts that are only slightly different than the ones already on your car. It also involves aftermarket mods of bizarre and questionable Japanese fads, such as sparkly, dildo-looking shift knobs and lace doilies for your Lexus LS400 (err... Toyota Celsior, because you have to use the obscure Japanese model names, too) seats. These cost even more money than the ridiculous prices of the JDM stock parts.

Currently noobs have begun to use the term JDM as a substitute for 'made in Japan'. Real JDM afficionados roll their eyes at these noobs because their parts don't have the tiny differences only available in Japan, for the Japanese, that totally justify the 9 month wait times and 500% price increases. Heh...

Somewhat More Seriously:

Even more recently, knock off companies have begun to imitate the names used by Japanese companies to rip-off new members of the scene by charging Japanese-level prices for Chinese garbage. Most particularly with exhausts and coil overs.

Most Seriously:

But originally it was about putting bad-ass Japan-only engines like 1JZGTEs and SR20DETs in cars that never got them in North America. In Canada with our 15 year easy-import rule this even means full RHD JDM cars like Skylines (R33s are eligible), Chasers, Presidents, even Kei cars like Honda Beats and Suzuki Alto Works are brought over.

Because titanium.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
srtblake (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #8366
SkitterSkotter

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
For the first time in MONTHS I can say that I'm actually happy. I can run, my fractured foot is better, lots of other quibbles are ended and it's a more calm era. Though I consider myself an objective man, for the first time I can say that I'll let the many deaths of close friends/lovers/family be stirred into the pot of normalicy.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #8367
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,095 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Today was WAY freaking cold... It was single digit degree.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #8368
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Today was WAY freaking cold... It was single digit degree.
We've been getting that at night time a few days during the week. However the high here today was like 45.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 AM   #8369
mact

Drives: 13 GTI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I haven't put gas in my BRZ since November, 2012.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 AM   #8370
serialk11r

Garage
@Dimman
I'm getting a little impatient about the foam, winter break is going to end so I will have no time to work on the car pretty soon. How viable do you think using the usual shitty expanded bead styrofoam in conjunction with a TON of Bondo-Hair (long strand fiberglass reinforced filler) is? Would the surface irregularities hurt that badly?
Old 01-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #8371
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
@Dimman
I'm getting a little impatient about the foam, winter break is going to end so I will have no time to work on the car pretty soon. How viable do you think using the usual shitty expanded bead styrofoam in conjunction with a TON of Bondo-Hair (long strand fiberglass reinforced filler) is? Would the surface irregularities hurt that badly?
The ordinary stuff just crumbles when you try to cut or sand it. Also I'm not certain if Bondo will eat it. If it's a polyesther based paste (has to have small catalyst added), it will probably slowly eat it. I don't think epoxy-based resin (closer to half and half two-part mix) will eat it, but I'm not sure what Bondo uses. Also cyanoacetate (sp?) superglues will slowly eat it, too.

But you could seal it with wood glue first and not worry. Just paint it on, let it dry/absorb a bit into the foam, sand and repeat a few times. Bondo is intended to fill irregularities, so that shouldn't be an issue, but same thing. Skim it on thin, let cure, sand, repeat.

Because titanium.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:12 AM   #8372
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
The ordinary stuff just crumbles when you try to cut or sand it. Also I'm not certain if Bondo will eat it. If it's a polyesther based paste (has to have small catalyst added), it will probably slowly eat it. I don't think epoxy-based resin (closer to half and half two-part mix) will eat it, but I'm not sure what Bondo uses. Also cyanoacetate (sp?) superglues will slowly eat it, too.

But you could seal it with wood glue first and not worry. Just paint it on, let it dry/absorb a bit into the foam, sand and repeat a few times. Bondo is intended to fill irregularities, so that shouldn't be an issue, but same thing. Skim it on thin, let cure, sand, repeat.
Yea the crumbling sucks, but if the shape is "correct" on a rough scale then it's not too bad. Maybe I'll try TAP plastics, see if they have some scrap. Or maybe I should just go with wood. Hmmm I also should get some scrap for a "diffuser", to replace the horrendous rear diaper. If only I could lift the car up, I would be plastering coroplast all over its uncovered belly.

Also, it's cyanoacrylate lol. But yea, a lot of things eat Styrofoam. By the way, do you think Bondo Glass / Bondo Hair would be anywhere close to as strong as short strand fiberglass mat?

Last edited by serialk11r; 01-06-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
221whp, :popcorn:, autobahnned, bringbackthebutts, brucelee, chucknorris, cutiepiepoppoppocorn, docking and snoodling, don'tbesadintotheocean, epic funnies, everyoneignoresmyposts, fuck yeah, funny thread tag, go_a_way1 was here, go_a_waycopiedspecialk, hey youse guys!, hoonigans, i am supreme., i like chocolate milk, i like to poop a lot, i like turtles, ichitaco, insertjokehere, invadethistread39erstyle, kr-s have my babies, kr-s is a faaggot, kr-s is a loser, mythbeliever, myunclesaid..., only the strong survive, postheredontbotherashrink, rules_of_nature, sklimo liked it, skylineislyfe, special_k was here, tagageddon 2016, thetagofreason, titsorgtfo, troz, whathappenedtothetags?