follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #785
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
the problem is the "tuners" you are referring to aren't.

Real tuners understand a significant amount about the combustion process, and weigh the options and intended purpose to provide you a long happy relationship with your motor, with out fear of damaging it at the limit from combustion issues.

when the customer doesn't understand what they are shopping for, it is really easy to sell them whatever you want. this strategy has been employed heavily on these boards and if this was my first "tuner" car and i had to rely on this forums vendors for "reliable guidance"....I can't imagine how things might end up.
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SkullWorks For This Useful Post:
B L U E S L A T E (08-13-2013), CSG Mike (08-13-2013), lazyluka (08-13-2013), Marchy (08-13-2013), strat61caster (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #786
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
Not really. The viability of aftermarket tunes which prevent the issue that most likely caused Mike's engine to grenade... I wouldn't say that is off-topic at all.
The discussion is conjecture and speculation. Not a single "tuner" has chimed in to add credit (or discredit) the vast allegations being spewed.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #787
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
The discussion is conjecture and speculation. Not a single "tuner" has chimed in to add credit (or discredit) the vast allegations being spewed.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
What allegations? The discussion is about how easy it is to "fix" the ECU so that it becomes reliable for track applications, some think anybody who knows how to work Excel and can read wikipedia can do it, others would only trust a licensed engineer with decadesof relevant experience. (Don't attack my hyperbole here, it's a waste everybodies of time)

Most of the posts about "fixing" this with aftermarket tunes appeared to be tables with some values thrown in to retard the timing under high speed transients, it's valid to question whether the fix is as simple as that and whether or not to trust the current aftermarket. I'll admit I have not researched and as such have not commented on anybodies credentials, and neither has anyone else.

tl;dr it's the internet, recline your armchair and keep typing like you're the most knowledgible guy here until your engine blows up.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #788
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ha! What on this forum isn't conjecture and speculation?
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #789
ecko04
Seems Legit

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
[cut useless babble]
Most of the posts about "fixing" this with aftermarket tunes appeared to be tables with some values thrown in to retard the timing under high speed transients, it's valid to question whether the fix is as simple as that and whether or not to trust the current aftermarket. I'll admit I have not researched and as such have not commented on anybodies credentials, and neither has anyone else. [cut more useless babble]
Redacted...no point in cluttering the thread further.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #790
ecko04
Seems Legit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
Ha! What on this forum isn't conjecture and speculation?
Haha! touché touché carry on.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #791
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
You also haven't read the last few pages of this thread. Some of the comments question whether a tuner can actually tune at all, what it entails, what defines trustworthiness, etc. The comments aren't adding to the overall body of knowledge around DI failure, which is the point I made.
I had a somewhat short response typed out but in the spirit of forum etiquette, cheers. I'll go hunting for those allegations I apparently missed upon my multiple readings of this thread.

:happy0180:

Edit: Found the one infringing post you're referring to, didn't realize that it actually targeted a group, I thought it was pretty vague on who the post was bashing.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-13-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #792
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post

My tuners' understanding of combustion and engines is FAR more advanced than your average enthusiast; most of them also have advanced degrees as well.

They also wouldn't have the large client base that they have if they were regularly blowing up engines.
These are the experts I'm referring too. Not the guys peddling 10hp gain tunes.

A good track tune is going to be more reliable than the Factory tune. I've worked for OEM's for over 20 years. I understand the constraints that the OEM's have with regard to tuning and long term durability isn't at the top of the priority list like customers assume. Sacrifices have to be made.

This car is a perfect example where meeting Tada's (marketing) demand for 200 hp and meeting varying world wide emissions ended up with a tune that doesn't hold up when driving in the power band.

Most of te vendors selling tunes don't have an understanding of what a track tune is let alone years of experience with Subaru engine management. But there are experts out there, who aren't shackled by emission requirements which force the car into dangerous lean areas prone to detonation.

Hopefully a good track tune will be shared and we can move away from replacing DI seals. I have little hope for anything from Toyota, its outside their business model. Not their core competence to deal with drivers who enjoy driving the car in its power band (the less than 1% of owners.)

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to regal For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #793
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
^^That's depressing. An OEM tune that sacrifices HP in favor of emissions is understandable. But an OEM tune that breaks the car I don't get.

Maybe your argument is wrong, regal (with all due respect).
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #794
choi0706

Drives: t
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Pics from teardown

Engine from the bottom. Connecting rod on cyl 2 has seen some heat...

Engine from the front

Cylinders 2 and 4

Damaged collar (next 3 photos are on the same "pair" of injectors)

Collar completely gone and injector... scorched?

Another angle

Other two injectors. This one is a bit damaged as well

Oil pan...
pictures dont work?
choi0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #795
Sellout
Mr. Cranky Pants

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
^^That's depressing. An OEM tune that sacrifices HP in favor of emissions is understandable. But an OEM tune that breaks the car I don't get.

Maybe your argument is wrong, regal (with all due respect).
OEM tunes sacrifice horsepower for emissions on every pollution controlled vehicle sold in this country.

Luckily they usually get away without having to sacrifice much, if any, reliability at the same time. In this case, we're unlucky because the OEM very commonly generates lazy ass tunes. If they weren't sacrificing reliability for a cheaper tune we'd have a 91 octane minimum which can be met everywhere in the united states with the caveat that 90 octane is a perfectly valid choice in high altitude cities. (like nearly all the other high octane required vehicles sold here)

It really is that simple.
Sellout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #796
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by choi0706 View Post
pictures dont work?
Or maybe they finally got themselves a lawyer.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #797
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellout View Post
OEM tunes sacrifice horsepower for emissions on every pollution controlled vehicle sold in this country.

Luckily they usually get away without having to sacrifice much, if any, reliability at the same time. In this case, we're unlucky because the OEM very commonly generates lazy ass tunes. If they weren't sacrificing reliability for a cheaper tune we'd have a 91 octane minimum which can be met everywhere in the united states with the caveat that 90 octane is a perfectly valid choice in high altitude cities. (like nearly all the other high octane required vehicles sold here)

It really is that simple.

You mean "lazy ass tunes" are common with Subaru? They have a history of this? (I ask because I really know nothing about Subaru.)
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #798
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
You mean "lazy ass tunes" are common with Subaru? They have a history of this? (I ask because I really know nothing about Subaru.)
Do some research into STI ringland/piston 4 issues and you'll see that the issue stems from the OEM tuning during OL/CL transition.

What that means is something beyond my grasp.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote