follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #729
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
im going to have to disagree. the rx8 was kind of a failure and the ft cant be as nice as the 370z and probalby wont be nearly as fast. it just looks to me like this car cant be more miata than a miata or more mustang v6 than the mustang. and it looks like its going to be more expensive than either one of those.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #730
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
and it looks like its going to be more expensive than either one of those.

What are you basing this off of? Please share since none of us know anything about potential pricing except for the ~$25k that we have heard about for awhile now.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #731
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Drives: 2003 Celica GT-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I know this is a concept so this is probably OK... But did anyone else notice the wheels are BOLTED/SCREWED into the ROTOR on the edges, and that there are no lug nuts?

Again, it's only a concept, but this bugs me because it means they are "cutting corners" or basically doing sneaky things like this which will of course never make it into production, but they do them anyway just to make the concept LOOK better without worrying about the lug nuts appearance.

I think a concept car should be disigned with production in mind. Otherwise you aren't on a fair playing ground and you get people excited for spiffy looking wheels that aren't going to look the same >:/

Okay, I may have taken things too far out of context, but I'm just saying... Seriously?
Old 04-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #732
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,096 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
SCION VP did state it has bike style brakes..

Again, this concept and I highly doubt it's gonna make it in production... BUT do wanna see other exotic car having those on their car.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #733
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantonin View Post
Otherwise you aren't on a fair playing ground and you get people excited for spiffy looking wheels that aren't going to look the same >:/
Hasn't this been the case for awhile now? You see a really cool concept car and lust after it and want it but then are told "NO! You can not have" by the car maker? This isn't the first time nor the last time. I agree that a car company could probably save some $$$ if they didn't keep putting all of thie $$$ into prototype projects that never get put into the production. But I guess that is the purpose of prototypes, to push forward the technology and evolution of cars.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #734
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
SCION VP did state it has bike style brakes.

Again, this concept and I highly doubt it's gonna make it in production... BUT do wanna see other exotic car having those on their car.
My Yamaha YZF-R6 doesn't have brakes like that at all. It's the typical "attached to the axle" method.

I guess I just didn't think they were functional at all. Are you saying the design on the concept, although not likely to make it to production, is actually functional...? I don't understand how the caliper would work... wouldn't it hit the bolts?
Old 04-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #735
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Hasn't this been the case for awhile now? You see a really cool concept car and lust after it and want it but then are told "NO! You can not have" by the car maker? This isn't the first time nor the last time. I agree that a car company could probably save some $$$ if they didn't keep putting all of thie $$$ into prototype projects that never get put into the production. But I guess that is the purpose of prototypes, to push forward the technology and evolution of cars.
True, I suppose.

To be honest though, this is the first concept car I've ever followed up on. So, I'm new to being broken hearted all the time by these concepts.

That - and I didn't think the brakes were functional. I thought it was something like "OH LUG NUTS ARE UGLY, LET'S HIDE THEM ONE THIS CONCEPT - IT'S NOT LIKE IT HAS TO FUNCTION NOW ANYWAY!"
Old 04-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #736
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

If you have right wheels, you can do em. If you look at the vid of press conference, FR-S did roll out and stopped. I wanna to how rear brakes work. They don't have any good pic of that rear brake
Old 04-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #737
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
True, I suppose.

To be honest though, this is the first concept car I've ever followed up on. So, I'm new to being broken hearted all the time by these concepts.

That - and I didn't think the brakes were functional. I thought it was something like "OH LUG NUTS ARE UGLY, LET'S HIDE THEM ONE THIS CONCEPT - IT'S NOT LIKE IT HAS TO FUNCTION NOW ANYWAY!"
but isn't Porsche Carrera GT have one lug nut system? But of course, we're talking bout half million dollar sports car LOL
Old 04-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #738
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
If you have right wheels, you can do em. If you look at the vid of press conference, FR-S did roll out and stopped. I wanna to how rear brakes work. They don't have any good pic of that rear brake
I agree about the rear wheel as I had the same thoughts. Really hard to tell what is going on with it.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #739
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I know this is a concept so this is probably OK... But did anyone else notice the wheels are BOLTED/SCREWED into the ROTOR on the edges, and that there are no lug nuts?
It has a lug nut. It's that big red thing in the center, and hidden behind/inside the wheel there are several locating dowels that lock the wheel to the hub. They're just like the studs on any other car, but without the threads and lug nuts.

The brakes, on the other hand are idiotic and totally impractical. If this were an open-wheel car the design would have some interesting potential, but ask yourself this, how do you get the wheel off?

Centerlock wheels are great for changing wheels/tires quickly, but they're just asinine when you have to spend half an hour tearing down your car to take a wheel off. When i first heard "motorcycle style brakes" I got all excited about floating rotors, and then I see that ridiculous BS. I hate Scion.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #740
aliphian
Dreamer

Drives: Nutless Grocery Getter
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
It has a lug nut. It's that big red thing in the center, and hidden behind/inside the wheel there are several locating dowels that lock the wheel to the hub. They're just like the studs on any other car, but without the threads and lug nuts.

The brakes, on the other hand are idiotic and totally impractical. If this were an open-wheel car the design would have some interesting potential, but ask yourself this, how do you get the wheel off?

Centerlock wheels are great for changing wheels/tires quickly, but they're just asinine when you have to spend half an hour tearing down your car to take a wheel off. When i first heard "motorcycle style brakes" I got all excited about floating rotors, and then I see that ridiculous BS. I hate Scion.

Don't worry. The production version will have something from the Toyota/Subaru parts bin.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
aliphian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #741
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Yeah I can't read what's on the rear wheel. It says ADVANCED ******** ****** SYSTEM

Also.... who is this clown?

(You'll see him... This photo is from the press release and on every news site)
Old 04-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #742
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
Don't worry. The production version will have something from the Toyota/Subaru parts bin.
Of course. It just pisses me off that the follow up to two production ready concepts, the one I was expecting to be very close to finalized, turned out to be just another idiotic, over the top Scion concept car. I was very disappointed.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote